It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

The Goddess of Go offers you a Magic Pill. You will become 9d instantly, but will not know why.
Yes! I'd take that pill right now! 53%  53%  [ 28 ]
No, thank you. 30%  30%  [ 16 ]
I would take the pill if only it was slow-acting and ensured the gradual success of my go studies. 17%  17%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 53
 Post subject: Would YOU take the Magic Pill?
Post #1 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:44 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 196
Was liked: 342
IGS: Reisei 1d
Online playing schedule: When I can
Please be honest. Kindly tell what you would do if you really could take a pill to become world-class overnight. The poll results are anonymous after all! Thanks a lot :bow:

There was not enough room to write the question in full. It should be "The Goddess of Go offers you a magic pill, that will instantly make you 9d. However, you will not know how you came to be so strong. Would you take the pill?"

Last edited by Tami on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Tami was liked by: rubin427

Post subject: Re: Would YOU take the Magic Pill?
Post #2 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:48 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 139
Was liked: 111
GD Posts: 209
KGS: Marcus316
Heh ... I don't know why I'm 2/3/4k right now, so being 9d ad not knowig why wouldn't be a stretch. Perhaps the Goddess has some plan for me that I do not yet know ... bring it on! :D

Post #3 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:49 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
It's also interesting to think of this question with a different spin on it: Would you take a Magic Pill that makes everyone else in the world 30k, keeping you at your current rank?

Post #4 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:50 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Sure, I 'd do it. Without a second thought. It is then one more money-making skill.

Yes, I'd miss the challenge of learning go, but there is still the other 99.99999999% of the world that I don't understand. There would be something else fun and interesting to learn.

Post #5 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:15 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
It depends on how many pills there were to go around. If everyone could have one, I'd be glad to remain that rare breed of a true 6k :batman:. Otherwise... gulp.

This post by daal was liked by: Tami

Post #6 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:53 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Unless I have misinterpreted Tami's question the pill would make one play as a 9d but one wouldn't understand or know why the moves worked as they did. In other words you could make 9d moves but you couldn't explain why the moves were good or how they worked. If that's true it might not be much fun. Imagine that playing a game with a 9d player and reviewing it would be like trying to understand now a game between 9d players. So you could still enjoy the work of trying to reach 9d but it would be working to understand the moves you were already able to play. A different twist on the problem of becoming a strong player :lol:

This post by gowan was liked by: Sevis

Post #7 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:56 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 6
Was liked: 65
GD Posts: 29
I don't normally take pills but this one I'd like to have. Don't worry about understanding why you can play as a 9d, with that strength it will all become clear.

Cheers,
Vesa

Post #8 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 196
Was liked: 342
IGS: Reisei 1d
Online playing schedule: When I can
In light of Gowan's comment, I have edited the original post to make the question clearer.

Post #9 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:54 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 59
Universal go server handle: mw42
No. I've watched enough Tales from the Crypt to know that one should never accept anything that promises greatness nor wish for anything, period.

Sure, the pill makes you 9d, but shortens your lifespan to 1 week or leaves you horribly crippled, &c. No, thank you.

This post by mw42 was liked by: xed_over

Post #10 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:01 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 150
Universal go server handle: judicata
Sounds boring. I would totally do it for a few days, though, and create a new Tartrate :).

Post #11 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:04 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I enjoy go as a spectator sport, so of course I'd take it.

Kirby: I bet no one would take the pill you describe. Or at least they wouldn't admit that they would.

Post #12 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:12 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Yes.

Post #13 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 199
GD Posts: 11
KGS: Hushfield
Though tempting for about one second, it's a definite no for me. The pride and joy that comes with gaining one more stone through arduous labour is one of the best feelings there is, why would I squander all possibilities of ever experiencing such a thing again? If I can believe what I've heard about the difference between dan ranks being approximately similar to the difference betwen 30k and 1d, than there's still a lot of fun to be had improving.

Actually, I've experienced the effect of such a pill a few times before. With roleplaying video games, just entering a cheatcode to get you to the maximum level with all the best gear is the fastest way to make you tire of the game. Thank you for your kind offer, but you can keep your magic pill ^^

This post by Hushfield was liked by: Li Kao

Post #14 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:46 am 
Gosei

Hushfield wrote:
Though tempting for about one second, it's a definite no for me. The pride and joy that comes with gaining one more stone through arduous labour is one of the best feelings there is, why would I squander all possibilities of ever experiencing such a thing again? If I can believe what I've heard about the difference between dan ranks being approximately similar to the difference betwen 30k and 1d, than there's still a lot of fun to be had improving.

Actually, I've experienced the effect of such a pill a few times before. With roleplaying video games, just entering a cheatcode to get you to the maximum level with all the best gear is the fastest way to make you tire of the game. Thank you for your kind offer, but you can keep your magic pill ^^

Wow, a game would have to be pretty linear to get boring in such a way ... at least, I don't think there are many games that would get tiresome to me* even if said cheatcode existed (and I'm sure many of the games I've payed have such cheats.

*I am not a typical gamer; there, I said it

Post #15 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:16 am 
Honinbo

hyperpape wrote:

Kirby: I bet no one would take the pill you describe. Or at least they wouldn't admit that they would.

That's what I suspected, somewhat, and that's why it's interesting to me. In such a scenario, you would still be "world class" in the sense that you'd be better than everyone else in the world. The only difference is the level of knowledge, which seems pretty relative to me.

The only way I think such a pill might be different than the pill proposed by the OP is if having additional go knowledge, such as that of a 9d, makes the game more enjoyable for the said person compared to, say, a 5k player.

So if there is a distinction between the two pills, I would think that it would indicate some sort of enjoyment of the game that one rank gets over another rank.

Aside from personal pride, which is really separate from the game itself, do 9d get more enjoyment than 5k? I'm not sure.

Post #16 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 41
KGS: Laman
this pill-question is easy (clearly yes for me, and i don't even know how i became as strong as i am and neither how my moves work, so no lose here :))

but what if you have a golden apple and four goddeses who want it: Hera offers you that you become king of Europe and Asia, Athena offers you wisdom and becoming world's greatest warrior, Aphrodita offers love of world's most beatiful woman and Kami no Itte offers you to become world's best go player. what to do now :D?
still Kami no Itte for me

PS: i hope i've got the legend right, otherwise feel free to correct me

I might be wrong, but probably not.

Last edited by Laman on Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Laman was liked by: ChradH

Post #17 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:29 am 
Gosei

Laman wrote:
this pill-question is easy (clearly yes for me, and i don't even know how i became as strong as i am and neither how my moves work, so no lose here :))

but what if you have a golden apple and four goddes who want it: Hera offers you that you become king of Europe and Asia, Athena offers you wisdom and becoming world's greatest warrior, Aphrodita offers love of world's most beatiful woman and Kami no Itte offers you to become world's best go player. what to do now :D?
still Kami no Itte for me

This is an interesting thought. I don't want to derail this thread any more than it already has been, but I'd probably bow to Athena. Not really sure why, but it's the offer that appeals to me most ...

Post #18 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:31 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 54
Was liked: 544
GD Posts: 1292
The Powers that Be at KGS offered me a day of being 9d many moons ago. Poof, April Fool's Day was soon over and I was merely mortal once more.

This post by tchan001 was liked by: Kirby

Post #19 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:35 am 
Honinbo

I'll cut the apple four ways. I'd settle for being prince of Europe and Asia, wise from 12pm to midnight, skip the woman since I'm married, and be 5d at go.

This post by Kirby was liked by: hyperpape

Post #20 Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 92
Was liked: 80
KGS: LocoRon
Per the original question:

No. I am strongly opposed to recreational drug use. :P

Now, if the goddess offered some other way to become 9D (say, a "cheatcode" of some sort), then I'd probably accept without a second thought. :) (Yes, I am another one of those gamers that thinks cheats actually can improve the fun and replay value of a game.)