It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shape
Post #1 Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:49 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I've found that a lot of my games revolve (at least locally) around efficiency. My shapes seem heavy and slow, I was wondering if there are any resources (books, pro games, etc.) That are particularly useful to remedy this. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Shape
Post #2 Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:24 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Scrummage wrote:
I've found that a lot of my games revolve (at least locally) around efficiency. My shapes seem heavy and slow, I was wondering if there are any resources (books, pro games, etc.) That are particularly useful to remedy this. Thanks

Two books: Making Good Shape by Bozulich and van Zeist, published by Kiseido, and Shape Up! by Charles Matthews available on line at GoBase.

Post #3 Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:40 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 793
You can build better shapes if you know all the standard move types, meanings and directions and the principles for good extensions as described in Joseki Vol. 1 Fundamentals. Also consider local alternatives by Local Move Selection instead of playing just the first move you think of. Efficiency is explained as a strategic concept and by the analysis methods Local Positional Judgement and tewari in Joseki Vol. 2 Strategy.

http://home.snafu.de/jasiek/Joseki.html

Post #4 Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:11 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Haengma books can at least be interesting.

https://www.yutopian.com/yutop/cat?prod ... tegory=PAK
https://www.yutopian.com/yutop/cat?prod ... tegory=PAK

I doubt either will help you more than reviews, but they will make you think about different shape moves.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:20 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 114
Was liked: 916
I used to have this problem too. (Actually, I still do, it's just gotten a little better over time). The following were a few things that helped:

Studying and getting the feel for common ways of making shape in tight positions. Driving tesuji, flying off orthogonally, counter-hane, attaching under on the second line, crosscuts. Sensei's library has a few pages to illustrate the basic idea, and many tesuji books have a number of examples involving these.

Playing many 2-4 stone handicap games as white.

Looking over pro games, with a focus on how they develop their shapes, which choice of move they use to defend a weakness, how they settle or sacrifice an invasion.

And watching Magicwand's malkovitch games for inspiration and fighting spirit. :)