It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 40  Next

Who will win?
EGF pros 69%  69%  [ 40 ]
AGA pros 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
Don't know 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: Re: EGF vs AGA pros win-and-continue match
Post #201 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 417
Was liked: 198
Keep rules simple: no undo.

Uberdude wrote:
Another entirely foreseeable problem of internet play is misclicks. Thankfully none have happened yet, but the rules for misclicks and undos should be clarified in addition to regarding lag. So what should the rules be. A strict no undos for any reason? I think that's unsatisfactory, imagine the kerfuffle if a game was decided by some obvious nonsense misclick. Obviously no undos for misthinks. I'd suggest rules something like:

Quote:
== Misclicks ==
- A misclick occurs when a player, through careless use of the mouse, accidentally plays on a different intersection to the one they intended.
- To reduce the chance of misclicks players should use a phyiscal mouse (not a trackpad) and turn on KGS's mouse anti-slip feature [assuming the games are on KGS].
- If a player makes a misclick, they must immediately (within 1 second) announce "Misclick!" to the proctor. You cannot decide it is a misclick after staring at the move for some time. If the opponent replies within that one second the misclick is still eligible for undo.
- The misclicking player requests an undo through KGS, and the proctor confirms it was validly announced through a side-channel to the opponent's proctor.
- The opponent must allow the the undo for the first misclick of the game, having received confirmation from their proctor it was valid.
- Subsequent undos for misclicks are at the discretion of the opponent.

This post by sorin was liked by 2 people: Joaz Banbeck, yakcyll

Post #202 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:59 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 4
KGS: Oberlappen 2k
@sorin

No, sometimes a missclick appears, during an lag, cause the system made problems, not the finger slipped. Also a fingerslip is a problem, in a real live tournament it wouldn´t count as a move, if accidently a stone falls from your finger and lands on a point. In these case it would be undone.

To let it simple I say it again. There should be some rules, which gives the referee a good base for estimation and enough authority, that his judgement after the estimation will be done, no option of arguing any further.

That can also help, for situations not occured or mentioned yet. Give some estimation options to the referee, a base to decide, but enough freedom, that he can use it on many things and that gives him authority too, no arguing options after judgement. Who wants to argue after the judgement and don´t wanna hear, that there is no option for it (after they reminded him of that fact), loses the game.

Even in law there are decisions and judgements, depending on estimation, cause live doesn´t always follow the rules and there things occuring nobody could foresee. So there are some laws even build up on estimation (ok I know this fact exactly here in Germany, but it´s logical that other nations would do the same).

Post #203 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:01 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
sorin wrote:

Uberdude wrote:
Another entirely foreseeable problem of internet play is misclicks.

With its built-in trackpad, my computer clicks without my clicking at all. :(

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #204 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
When I was running the EGF referee workshops I said:"The purpose of tournament rules is to dstinguish the skill of playing go form other skills for example physical, social, technical skills. The effect of other skills shoud be minimized."

Bearing this in mind, I would have the game continued.

Money and human resources have been invested in the match. In the subsequent games it should be possible to implement a backup plan with backup communications in case of problems. One could even consider that the players play with real boards and the proctors play the opponents moves on the board.

This post by Matti was liked by: Bojanic

Post #205 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 2:33 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 50
Violence wrote:
If Mateusz was not himself but another player with a history of cheating or underhanded play, you must be able to make the same ruling.
If the game was not almost decided but instead still very much in question, you must be able to make the same ruling.

1) In case the tournament organizer announced clear rules how to deal with lags, then these rules shall apply. Case closed.

2) In case there are no rules, the organizer needs
- to solve this unique situation
- to create rules that will be valid for next games
I don't think the newly created rules must be retrospectively applied to the game Lui-Surma. We are in an unfortunate situation, and IMO the organizer needs to apologize to players and to try to find a solution that will be acceptable for both sides.

Post #206 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 11:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 417
Was liked: 198
Bill Spight wrote:
sorin wrote:

Uberdude wrote:

With its built-in trackpad, my computer clicks without my clicking at all. :(

Bill, you can invest in a better mouse for the next online tournament :-)

My concern with any well intended rule for misclicks is that it will be abused in creative ways, and create more trouble than it's worth:

"What do you mean it is unlikely to misclick for 30 moves in a row?"
"What do you mean I cannot undo after 5 seconds, that was clearly less than 1 second where I come from!"
etc...

This post by sorin was liked by: Bonobo

Post #207 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
Matti wrote:
One could even consider that the players play with real boards and the proctors play the opponents moves on the board.

And maybe with real clocks on each side (one clock indicates the time for one player but not for the other player).

Post #208 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 1:51 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Uberdude wrote:

I was recording a high level, in-person game once for the initial AGA pro tournament, and one of the players made a really strange move. We asked him about the move after the game to see if he was thinking something we couldn't see. He replied, "I misclicked"

This post by xed_over was liked by: Bonobo

Post #209 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:18 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 50
xed_over wrote:
...one of the players made a really strange move. We asked him about the move after the game to see if he was thinking something we couldn't see. He replied, "I misclicked"

In games within Euro team championship you can see players asking for an undo after a misclick.
I have no idea how are the official rules though.

Post #210 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:12 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
1. I hope that Eric recognizes his responsibility to come out and resign this game. Remaining silent is unsportsmanlike to Mateusz and also has a negative impact on his image as a player and the whole tournament.

2. For the purposes of clarifying rules for games in future online tournaments, there are two ways to address the issue in the future

The simple way (perhaps unfair and not in the spirit of the game)
2.1 In an online match, regardless of the reason, the player who times out automatically loses.

The complex way (more fair and in the spirit of the game but harder to implement)

2.2. In an online match that is proctored, if the proctor finds evidence the player times out due to circumstances beyond their control (computer crashes, lag, connectivity issues, etc.) the match will be

2.2.1 replayed
2.2.2 continued
2.2.2.1 from the last move sent to the server
2.2.2.2 from the last move which would have been sent to the server had the lag or issue not occurred
(must also specify rules here at which point connectivity lag issues are reported, by which party, and process to rule for a replay or continuation)

2.2 otherwise, the player who times out automatically loses

Post #211 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 4:41 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
I suppose we should soon see an announcement, since today is arrival day for the IMSA
https://www.intergofed.org/igf-news-fee ... rules.html

This post by Javaness2 was liked by: Bonobo

Post #212 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:04 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
munster wrote:
1. I hope that Eric recognizes his responsibility to come out and resign this game. Remaining silent is unsportsmanlike to Mateusz and also has a negative impact on his image as a player and the whole tournament.

It's not Eric's responsibility to resign - it's the organizers' responsibility to make a decision. One could just as easily say that Mateusz is being unsportsmanlike not to accept his loss by time, which is equally ridiculous.

This post by Kirby was liked by 4 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, HKA, Joaz Banbeck

Post #213 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:23 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Keep banging the drum

Post #214 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:52 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Bear in mind this is a team event, so whilst Eric may be happy to resign if it were just him who losses out from doing so, he may feel a responsibility to the rest of the team to not to do. Or others in the team or team captain may want him not to.

Post #215 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:27 am 
Honinbo

Uberdude wrote:

sorin wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
sorin wrote:

With its built-in trackpad, my computer clicks without my clicking at all. :(\

Bill, you can invest in a better mouse for the next online tournament :-)

Or set the software so that a double click on the same spot is required to make a play. Edit: For instance, the first click changes the color of the point to indicate that it is the proposed play. A second click on that point makes the play.

Quote:
My concern with any well intended rule for misclicks is that it will be abused in creative ways, and create more trouble than it's worth:

Good point. :)

I kind of like a double click alternative. To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, Click, but verify. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Last edited by Bill Spight on Sun May 12, 2019 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #216 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:42 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Javaness2 wrote:
Keep banging the drum

Same to you, buddy!

Post #217 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 6:55 am 
Honinbo

Uberdude wrote:
Bear in mind this is a team event, so whilst Eric may be happy to resign if it were just him who losses out from doing so, he may feel a responsibility to the rest of the team to not to do. Or others in the team or team captain may want him not to.

For this type of team event, this suggestion, I forget who made it, is interesting. Let Eric continue against the next opponent. Mateusz is, however, not eliminated, but simply moved to last in line on the EGF team. A kind of Eric won, but Mateusz did not lose solution. (For those who recall it, the apparently non-sensical ruling, White won, but Black did not lose, occurred in team competition between East and West Japan. ;))

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #218 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:22 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
It is not clear that Eric can resign. A resignation is something that happens in the game. But the game is not in progress. It is over, or suspended, or under adjudication.

The point about it being a team responsibility, not a personal choice, is also quite good.

Post #219 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 12:38 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 156
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Bill Spight wrote:
(For those who recall it, the apparently non-sensical ruling, White won, but Black did not lose, occurred in team competition between East and West Japan. ;))

Sorry... when? I'm a bit of a Kansai kiin fanboy. Or do you mean another "West Japan"?

Take care.

Post #220 Posted: Sun May 12, 2019 1:30 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Kirby wrote:
munster wrote:

It's not Eric's responsibility to resign - it's the organizers' responsibility to make a decision. One could just as easily say that Mateusz is being unsportsmanlike not to accept his loss by time, which is equally ridiculous.

Mateusz has reported connectivity/lag issues during his game, which are circumstances beyond his control that negatively impacted the game. Despite this, the game was played almost to completion, and reached a position where one side has an extremely high probability of winning. At this high level of play, it would have been possible for Eric to resign even 10-20 moves before the move which timed out.

Therefore, it is unsportsmanlike for Eric not to resign, but Mateusz has no obligation to resign as he was leading. In the spirit of the game it is 100% Eric's responsibility to resign, and should have been done immediately a few hours after this match was played and the incident having occurred. It allows for the tournament organizers to withhold a ruling which would potentially be fraught with controversy, and also potentially set a precedent they do not want to set.

The organizers then can freely prepare a written document of rules in the event that something similar happens again, to account for lag time-outs, connectivity issues, etc. and the process for which players can report such issues, and the steps that the organizers would take.

One can argue that it is unfair to place this burden on Eric and that the organizers could have prepared better for corner cases (lag, connectivity issues, etc.), but life is random, and it happens that things have already reached this stage. I would still strongly suggest Eric come out to resign, not only to save the spirit of the game but to allow the tournament organizers to freely be able to implement new rules to reduce the possibility of such a dispute taking place again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 40  Next