It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Super Meijin Tournament interviews (after the final game)
Post #1 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:00 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 86
GD Posts: 104
Q: Please discuss today's game.

Gu Li: Today I did not play very well. I credit my victory to the strong support of the Go fans in Changde. I know that I took a big loss in the opening in the upper left. Making life in the lower left was likewise not too good. However, I feel that the fight on the upper side went better for me. As we entered the endgame I knew I was winning.

Q: How do you feel about this tournament?

Gu Li: I am very happy to play with my Korean and Japanese [Meijin] counterparts. I also think that this tournament gave me a boost. When I return home I will fight for the chance to participate in the next event.

Q: How do you felt you played in this match? How are you feeling now?

Gu Li: My performance was less than ideal, but I am happy with the result. Of course, I am extremely happy, but the three games all exposed deficiencies in my game. When I return to Beijing I will earnestly review the games.

Q: Today you took the black stones. Did this have a psychological impact?

Gu Li: When Lee Changho and I play, the player taking black has had a high winning percentage. I feel that playing as black lets one take the initiative, something I do not get to do as much playing white.

Q: What is your outlook on next year's [Super-Meijin] match?

Gu Li: First of all, I hope that I successfully defend my Mingren title and get the chance to return. I hope that my fans bring me good luck.

Q: Please rank the three countries in terms of Go strength.

Gu Li: I think it is more suitable for head coach Yu Bin or Hua Xueming to respond to this question. I think that the three countries are nearly equal. Though Japan's results have not been good recently, my personal winning percentage against Japanese players is actually inferior to Korean players. Japanese players are quite capable, and my game against Iyama Yuta was actually my most dangerous. Perhaps Iyama Yuta did not want to utterly destroy the "host of the party" and backed off a bit. South Korea leads both China and Japan in quantity of international titles, but China's young players are extremely strong, so I feel that China is now relatively superior.

Q: Lee Changho, please discuss today's game.

Lee Changho: After the variation in the upper left I felt White was somewhat better. However, when I later counted territory, I discovered that I was behind. Gu Li played a very strong second half of the game; I constantly faced difficult moves.

Q: Nie Weiping said that there was a time in the game when White was betteer. How do you see it?

Lee Changho: My middle game was actually a little too compliant, but Gu Li did make mistakes, erroneously thinking that a move was sente. Nie Weiping may have thought that White's situation was good, but I thought that White was never in a great position.

Q: Strong professionals such as yourself who play so many matches every year must get exhausted.

Lee Changho: When I play go, I throw my entire heart and mind into battle, and I do not feel tired or exhausted. After a match I feel beaten and drained, but I am a professional Go player, and I am blessed to be able to play so much Go.

Q: Please rank the three countries in terms of playing strength.

Lee Changho: This is a difficult question. Recently it seems as though if I participate in the finals it is difficult for South Korea to win the title. From the perspective of recent international results, China is superior, with Korea a little behind and Japan still further behind.

Q: Iyama Yuta, please discuss your performance.

Iyama Yuta: I lost, so I cannot be satisfied. It is very regrettable.

Q: People say that you are the hope of Japanese Go. Does this add pressure? Do you have the confidence to become like Nie Weiping and shoulder the burden of lifting your country's Go from its weak state?

Iyama Yuta: I am rather young, and sometimes I also think that I shoulder the burden of the future of Japanese Go. I hope to get the support of more Go fans, and I will strive hard.

Q: Please rank the three countries in terms of playing strength.

Iyama Yuta: Japan tends to lose more often in international matches; China and South Korea are somewhat stronger. We focus on Chinese and Korean players, and we research their games. China's young players are the strongest of the three countries.

This post by Peter Hansmeier was liked by 6 people: deja, Ember, kokomi, Oroth, rubin427, topazg

Post subject: Re: Super Meijin Tournament interviews (after the final game
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:13 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 152
Was liked: 204
Thanks a lot!

Peter Hansmeier wrote:
Gu Li: When Lee Changho and I play, the player taking black has had a high winning percentage. I feel that playing as black lets one take the initiative, something I do not get to do as much playing white.

Anyone has stats?

Post #3 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:09 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 23
Thanks. I hope this super-M will last for at least a period of time.

But with three people, it's always a bit strange how to arrange the games. Maybe Europe, America and Austrilia should title there champion as "Meijin" as well :D

Post #4 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Quote:
Anyone has stats?

We (GoGoD) have 13 games and Black won 10. Yi leads 7-6.

On the topic of best young players, China and Korea dominated the Ing Youth World Ch'ship this week, and Korea actually took the junior title.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Peter Hansmeier

Post #5 Posted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:19 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
Well, I know I'm quite late but I was busy all the week so I didn't have the time to write before now.. Well the game between Gu Li and Iyama Yuta really was awesome! :D Hopefully, there will be a comment on it in Go World or somewhere else. The whole Super-Meijin-Tournament was great and I hope it will continue next year and beyond that... I'd like to see a rematch between these three players! :)

@ PeterHansmeier: Thanks again for translating and posting the interviews!