It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Who will win: Lee Sedol or AlphaGo?
Lee Sedol crushing victory (5-0) 26%  26%  [ 29 ]
Lee Sedol comfortable victory (4-1) 31%  31%  [ 35 ]
Lee Sedol close victory (3-2) 14%  14%  [ 16 ]
Too close to call 9%  9%  [ 10 ]
AlphaGo close victory (2-3) 4%  4%  [ 5 ]
AlphaGo comfortable victory (1-4) 11%  11%  [ 12 ]
AlphaGo crushing victory (0-5) 5%  5%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 113
 Post subject: Re: AlphaGo vs Lee Sedol, who will win?
Post #101 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:37 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
It was definitely counting. He was using both hands, presumably to keep track of units and groups (not necessarily ones and tens, tho).

Post #102 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:56 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I actually think Lee Sedol shouldn't have resigned but played to counting, maybe AlphaGo has some bug and would screw something up. Unlikely, but it's worth testing at least once. Though I can also understand Lee treating it with the respect he would a human and resigning as he did.

Post #103 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:02 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 37
Yeah I agree. Though I have the impression that he resigns very often compared to many other pros, even when the game is close, if he's sure that he has lost

Post #104 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 187
Uberdude wrote:
I actually think Lee Sedol shouldn't have resigned but played to counting, maybe AlphaGo has some bug and would screw something up. Unlikely, but it's worth testing at least once. Though I can also understand Lee treating it with the respect he would a human and resigning as he did.

I think it was Otake who said if you don't resign at the right moment, it can get too late? Anyway it's a pro thing, and there are issues of dignity and etiquette. "Never resign" is definitely for amateurs.

Post #105 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:05 am 
Judan

I wasn't suggesting to never resign (indeed I often give up and resign rather early in my games). If he played out and lost this game by 5 points, and the next by 3, then resigning the 3rd when he is losing by 5 would be more warranted as AlphaGo would have demonstrated it can successfully finish a game (it did weird things at the end of Fan Hui game 1). Zen19X 7d lost a game on KGS by 0.5 because it filled in its own territory too many times (presumably due to some bug in the scoring or komi logic) and whilst I expect DeepMind have tested this thoroughly I still think it could be worth verifying. Winning in such a way would certainly be cheap, but by treating the AI with the respect he would a human he could be hiding its crucial weakness. Also didn't Sakata often play out big losses, I recall someone posting anecdotes here about how he wanted to know how many points his mistakes were worth.

Post #106 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:22 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 14
Was liked: 23
Lol - I don't mean his hands were shaking before he played when he was counting, but that he was shaking when he actually played the stones. He certainly wasn't doing this all the way through.

Uberdude wrote:
One of the key moments for me was Lee's bad timing of the s13 atari. If there's one thing bots are good at it is deciding if your move is really sente or a bluff and playing something else more important first. I hope he can put this loss behind him and not be so careless in the next game. He needs to maintain concentration for every move, the bot is merciless at punishing fake sentes.

Do you feel that Lee wouldn't have played S13 if he'd known it to be (temporarily) gote? That move is huge even if gote and has potential life and death applications for both groups. I feel personally that R4 instead of Q5 would be more sensible, since then black would make some territory in the corner rather than white, but it's possible I'm just thinking too naively with this.

What do you think of black's R17 attachment? It's 'bad' in this joseki, but do you think maybe the pros are just missing something by claiming this? It'd be really cool if some new joseki were discovered with AlphaGo's help.

Post #107 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:51 am 
Judan

Simba wrote:
Do you feel that Lee wouldn't have played S13 if he'd known it to be (temporarily) gote? That move is huge even if gote and has potential life and death applications for both groups.

Yes, it's big (maybe there is even a chance those 3 captured white stones make a dead shape?). I can only speculate how seriously Lee thought about a white teunuki, it would be interesting to hear his comments on it.

Simba wrote:
I feel personally that R4 instead of Q5 would be more sensible, since then black would make some territory in the corner rather than white, but it's possible I'm just thinking too naively with this.

q5 makes some sense following s13 in that it aims to separate the big white wall group from the corner and ask where its eyes are (as s13 threatens q15 which takes away those eyes and possibly kills the whole thing). But the problem was white settled in the corner in sente and then came back to answer s13 at the top right to make eyes. But yes r4 to make corner points was probably better as most commentaries say. Given that white answered q5 at q6 (rather than r4) I think p6 at r4 to get the corner (and leave white with more cuts that direct r4) would have been better. Commentary also said p6 was bad (the losing move says An Younggil) and should block the corner, but the problem is white has the fine tesuji at s5 to both defend the r6 cut and threaten to kill the corner with s3 in the variation following move 128 r4 r3 p6 p2 s5 s3 so can then return to the top right at t14 or whatever. Still should be better than the game though.

Simba wrote:
What do you think of black's R17 attachment? It's 'bad' in this joseki, but do you think maybe the pros are just missing something by claiming this? It'd be really cool if some new joseki were discovered with AlphaGo's help.

Locally speaking I still think it is bad, but the problem is it is not as bad for white as white getting the j16 pincer is for black. Younggil says move 15 q13 (the standard punishment) was questionable. So I guess black should have played j16 himself and endured the suffering of white r14? In fact I think this opening shows that Lee's unusual move 7 at r8 (presumably attempting to make a fuseki AlphaGo hadn't seen in the training) was bad and mini-Chinese or something normal would have been better (r8 also ended up inefficient to my eyes following the pushes, and then the brialliant r10 much later embarassed it). Kasparov's comment about humans playing suboptimal moves attempting to exploit or trick AIs is spookily prescient here:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2079162-garry-kasparov-weighs-up-ai-challenge-to-worlds-best-go-player/ wrote:
Early chess machines had blind spots and exploitable weaknesses and the temptation is to target these instead of playing a normal game. I could not resist doing so against Deep Blue. Mind sports like chess and Go require intense concentration and when focus is disrupted by trying to trick a computer you can end up tricking yourself into making objectively dubious moves. As machines get stronger, these are punished.

Post #108 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:51 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 9
KGS: HandA
Tygem: NhaTrang11
IGS: Nagi
Wbaduk: handa711
OGS: hoanganh2357
What are the pros and fans saying about this loss?

Post #109 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:57 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
Uberdude wrote:
I wasn't suggesting to never resign (indeed I often give up and resign rather early in my games). If he played out and lost this game by 5 points, and the next by 3, then resigning the 3rd when he is losing by 5 would be more warranted as AlphaGo would have demonstrated it can successfully finish a game (it did weird things at the end of Fan Hui game 1). Zen19X 7d lost a game on KGS by 0.5 because it filled in its own territory too many times (presumably due to some bug in the scoring or komi logic) and whilst I expect DeepMind have tested this thoroughly I still think it could be worth verifying. Winning in such a way would certainly be cheap, but by treating the AI with the respect he would a human he could be hiding its crucial weakness. Also didn't Sakata often play out big losses, I recall someone posting anecdotes here about how he wanted to know how many points his mistakes were worth.

I agree for this reason. But then the one aspect of go I might be better at than Lee Sedol is exploiting bots around my own level.

Post #110 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:59 am 
Lives in gote

Uberdude wrote:
Also didn't Sakata often play out big losses, I recall someone posting anecdotes here about how he wanted to know how many points his mistakes were worth.

He did. He could do pretty much what he liked, once he had held the top seven Japanese titles at once. He also had a victory ritual, sending up a smoke signal; so I suppose if he was playing out the endgame against you and wasn't smoking, you might have had the consolation that he knew he was losing and was dying for a cigarette.

But in this case I don't imagine Lee was thinking that debugging AlphaGo's endgame was part of his contract. In the live feed, he put a white stone on the board quite quietly (for Chinese rules he would have to take from the opponent's bowl?); and started to discuss the game with someone behind him. Which is presumably what he wanted to do most, absent an opponent to relate to.

This post by Charles Matthews was liked by: joellercoaster

Post #111 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:11 am 
Lives in gote

Uberdude wrote:
In fact I think this opening shows that Lee's unusual move 7 at r8 (presumably attempting to make a fuseki AlphaGo hadn't seen in the training) was bad and mini-Chinese or something normal would have been better [...]

Yes, this seems to me to be the story of the game: Lee played to take AlphaGo completely ex-book, and the plan failed. If he has a team/seconds to support him, and if this plan emerged from discussion with them, then it was naive about the likely strengths of the software. But maybe he just wanted to try something new.

Anyway, hindsight is usually a great help. Will be interesting to see what AlphaGo does with Black. I'd have thought Lee would be well off introducing complex corner variations. But perhaps, with White, set up a game of competing frameworks.

Post #112 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:17 am 
Judan

Uberdude wrote:
Commentary also said p6 was bad (the losing move says An Younggil) and should block the corner, but the problem is white has the fine tesuji at s5 to both defend the r6 cut and threaten to kill the corner with s3 in the variation following move 128 r4 r3 p6 p2 s5 s3 so can then return to the top right at t14 or whatever. Still should be better than the game though.

Actually, I wonder about the following bizarre move to prevent the s5 tesuji:
128 r4 r3 p6 r6! s6 p2 r7 q15.
By putting in the r6 cut, which at that point white will atari from underneath, before defending at p2 black forces white to defend the cut with the r7 capture (which is a loss of about 2 points compared to if white defended at s6 directly) and that way black can take sente to play q15. There is still the s3 s2 t2 ko which is a pain. This kind of cutting and not extending feels very unprofessional and wacky, but if he can live (sort of) in sente to get q15 isn't it better for black? And that ko is not easy to fight for white: because black gets q15 white is short of eyes and it looks like the whole white dragon could die if black wins the ko.

Post #113 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:41 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
Nature editor write that knowing AlphaGo confident rate while the match is still playing make him uncomfortable to look at Lee Sedol struggle from midgame to the end... while DeepMind team is smiling all the way through the match and amused when professional commentator voiced their different confused opinions... (I add more spice from the original news just for fun)

http://www.nature.com/news/the-go-files ... er-1.19544

Post #114 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:01 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
daal wrote:
Apparently this is more of a matter of whether one knows Korean.

I disagree, but don't have anything to add. Like I said, I am not trying to convince anybody.

Post #115 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:32 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
pookpooi wrote:
Nature editor write that knowing AlphaGo confident rate while the match is still playing make him uncomfortable to look at Lee Sedol struggle from midgame to the end... while DeepMind team is smiling all the way through...

That's why I voted for AlphaGo in the poll (3/2 margin). If you play a bot online, you get this suffocating feeling from the middle game on, because you know the bot is unlikely to make mistakes. If AlphaGo has a slight lead heading into macro-endgame, it probably isn't correct to say "things are close."

Post #116 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:51 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
mhlepore wrote:
That's why I voted for AlphaGo in the poll (3/2 margin). If you play a bot online, you get this suffocating feeling from the middle game on, because you know the bot is unlikely to make mistakes. If AlphaGo has a slight lead heading into macro-endgame, it probably isn't correct to say "things are close."

I'm more aggressive than you, I vote for 5-0 for AlphaGo (would have bet if I've money). I rely on Lee Sedol's personality that will keep him to continue underestimating AlphaGo and lost all of his five game. But I think he realized now that AlphaGo is not a cheap trick so the result may vary but I still favor AlphaGo to win at least 3 matches.

Post #117 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:07 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 29
Was liked: 176
GD Posts: 1072
Is there a copy of the game record posted anywhere?

Post #118 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
pwaldron wrote:
Is there a copy of the game record posted anywhere?

https://gogameguru.com/alphago-defeats- ... ol-game-1/

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Bonobo

Post #119 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:03 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 11
Also: https://online-go.com/review/114161

This post by Spaceman-Spiff was liked by: Bonobo

Post #120 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:58 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 14
In a news article I saw Lee quoted as saying that AlphaGo played a move "I thought was almost impossible to play". Does anyone know which move he was referring to?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 176 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next