It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re: I_AM_A_SPAMMER_PLS_IGNORE - Injustice has been done! Banning him!
Post #1 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:17 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
hyperpape wrote:
Quote:
toilet/lavatory -> restroom/bathroom
Which one is supposed to be the vulgar one? I can't hear it. Or is your point that toilet is polite, whereas "s***er" isn't?

From my perspective "toilet" is more vulgar than "restroom". The reason is because the former is more directly related to what you happen to be doing in the "restroom".

Anyway, what is offensive and what is not offensive is all somewhat subjective. That's one of the reasons we have admins and moderators to make these decisions.

In general, if you listen to warnings and follow the TOS, I don't think you'll be banned. Anthony didn't do this. It doesn't help that his first post initiated the thread that led to all of this discussion.

As a side note, by posting constructive, go-related posts, you build up a good reputation (e.g. like Uberdude has).

Post subject: Re: I_AM_A_SPAMMER_PLS_IGNORE - Injustice has been done! Banning him!
Post #2 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:19 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
hyperpape wrote:
"detritus happens" is a pretty ordinary phrase, even for some people who wouldn't use the f word too vulgar to use[0].

People actually say "detritus happens" in North Carolina? Well, hush my mouth! :mrgreen:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:29 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Kirby wrote:
hyperpape wrote:
Quote:
toilet/lavatory -> restroom/bathroom
Which one is supposed to be the vulgar one? I can't hear it. Or is your point that toilet is polite, whereas "s***er" isn't?

From my perspective "toilet" is more vulgar than "restroom". The reason is because the former is more directly related to what you happen to be doing in the "restroom".

Right. restroom is more of a euphemism, though what with people playing with their smartphones on the loo maybe it is more accurate these days!

Post #4 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:03 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
I am reminded of this funny scenario being used as a reason to improve one speaking confidence in a book; I can't remember precisely what the details were, such as what they were wearing, but the analogy is (hopefully) the same:

A person walks into the room selling his new business plan, dressed to the highest standards-- suit, tie, every strand of hair arranged perfectly-- but when the budding entrepreneur starts to speak, the quality of speech is juvenile (note this has nothing to do with how well you "know" English if you're learning English, only the way in which English is being used), or if not that, maybe there is no confidence or no enthusiasm in the pitch or language being transferred through body posture, etc.

Later, another entrepreneur walks in dressed in a summer beach t-shirt and sunglasses. But the delivery of the pitch is eloquent, professional and of the highest standard of English.

Not being the one who wrote the book, I cannot vouch nor make judgement on the conclusion, but the message is that a lot of presumptuous reaction, or maybe impressions, are stemmed from language. I would stay away from swear words in any case. But I think that it would be unfair to say that an "injustice" has been done, despite the fact that I (take my opinion with a grain of salt, no offence is at all intended,) am not 100% comfortable with some of the responses the original poster received.

The main reason the poster was banned was because of the fear that he was a 1d professional spammer. Whereas the others who posted in the thread were known not to be inciters, there was an unknown element to a new poster-- but the nail in the coffin was the warning about the original poster being known on chess forums, and not in a positive light. The moderators could only act according to the best interests of the whole, after the second personal attack.

I am in no position to judge what your (Darren Snow) true intentions were, but if they were innocent, please act accordingly. It's the heart that counts, isn't it? The urge of every human being to better themselves and reach for the blossoms of spring, looking from a broader perspective at the whole position before making a move-- the locally best moves are not always best globally. While I would usually not consider myself anywhere near qualified or righted to comments on situations like these, I think it is also my responsibility, at least partially, to give back to a community that has given me something of worth. And the attitude of the culture and training of pros and "any wannabe pro foreigner who finds himself here", as I think Mr Tourmanen once put it :D , taught and reinforced for me respect, discipline, and to ALWAYS expect the strongest move from your opponent!

Post #5 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:13 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 288
Was liked: 65
OGS: Joellercoaster
That weird Capitalization habit of Yours sure is Distinctive. Can't think where I've seen it recently - and the Exclamation Marks sure Ring a bell!

Post #6 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:44 pm 
Honinbo

Elom wrote:
I am reminded of this funny scenario being used as a reason to improve one speaking confidence in a book; I can't remember precisely what the details were, such as what they were wearing, but the analogy is (hopefully) the same:

A person walks into the room selling his new business plan, dressed to the highest standards-- suit, tie, every strand of hair arranged perfectly-- but when the budding entrepreneur starts to speak, the quality of speech is juvenile. . . .

Later, another entrepreneur walks in dressed in a summer beach t-shirt and sunglasses. But the delivery of the pitch is eloquent, professional and of the highest standard of English.

The stinger is that the first guy was Donald Trump. ;)

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #7 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:03 pm 
Honinbo

Bill Spight wrote:

And now politics! This thread has everything. :-?

Post #8 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:58 pm 
Honinbo

Daren Snow wrote:
Now I have read so much Rubbish on here :( and can only say if there is such a thing on this "DOUBLE STANDARDS" Forum ? that is called TOS ? then I don't give a TOSS

So I will leave you all with that thought!

I don't think anybody has double standards here. I explained to you some differences between 'Anthony' (you?) and other people that posted in the thread. Several people were not as kind as they could have been, hence, the thread was locked.

You can choose whether or not you'd like to acknowledge my explanation or not.

I will leave you with that thought!

Post #9 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:31 pm 
Honinbo

Kirby wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

And now politics! This thread has everything. :-?

What politics? We were talking about the art of the deal. "Juvenile" describes Trump's presentation language fairly well, does it not?

Visualize whirled peas.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #10 Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:51 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 53
Was liked: 171
GD Posts: 1104
KGS: fwiffo
Forum Rules wrote:
9. Multiple Accounts
Do not create multiple accounts. Do not create new accounts to circumvent moderator action, conceal your identity, or for other purposes. Additional accounts may be permitted for technical reasons - please contact a moderator or admin beforehand if you believe this applies to you.

This post by fwiffo was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, Celebrir, joellercoaster

Post subject: Re: Double Standards Are Rife :(
Post #11 Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:07 am 
Honinbo

This discussion is not Go related, and no longer productive.

"Daren Snow" (or anyone else), if you have further concerns, please use PM for future discussion on this topic.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]