It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some games by Honinbo Dochi
Post #1 Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
I was replaying some games by Honinbo Dochi (1690-1727) in the Gokyo Sensui and, while looking for the names of his opponents, I noticed that some of the games are apparently not in GoGod. That or I completely failed at finding them using Kombilo (always a possibility in my case :-)). I thought of PMing them to John Fairbairn but that does not seem to be possible, so here they are.

Game 1 features moves that looked slow to me (66, 83, 98-99) but appeared efficient in terms of attack and defence. This made me think that in my games I often attack too soon without the necessary preparations, or the opposite, running away before playing some defensive moves. This game may be a good example of giving more thought to local moves before playing more "global" attacking/defending moves.
I also like very much move 114. The shape, the way it keeps black's group under pressure and how it prepares white's building the upper left, what's not to like about it? :-)
Black's reduction following 189 is a nice sequence too, making use of the aji in white's position.

Game 2 is a quick affair (or maybe the game record is incomplete). :w42: is a move I noticed. Not answering the peep, putting pressure on black instead and establishing a position facing the center at the same time.
Note also that :w58: is a hoshi (related to the sequence played on the left after 42, white putting the emphasis on having access to the center, to counter black's presence here at j15, l16 and n17?).

Game 3. Black builds a lot of outward strength, eventually tries to develop a moyo with 71 and 73, goes all in trying to kill white but seems to fail. How annoying these contact plays can be (74 and 80).

The records can be found here (in the volume numbered 3).

Attachments:
Dochi f°8a-b.sgf [1.02 KiB]
Downloaded 914 times
Dochi f°6b.sgf [610 Bytes]
Downloaded 970 times
Dochi f°5b-6a.sgf [1.36 KiB]
Downloaded 974 times

This post by Shenoute was liked by 3 people: aeb, Bill Spight, ez4u

Post subject: Re: Some games by Honinbo Dochi
Post #2 Posted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:37 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 16
Thank you for sharing these games . The website is cool but i can't read japanese numbers so hard to follow the books.
Dochi is famous for his center-oriented style .

Post #3 Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:57 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 120
Was liked: 157
Thanks lichigo, I didn't know it. That certainly puts some of his moves/sequences into context.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:48 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 16
I didn't study any old games for 5 years i think hahaha. Good to see some old games sometimes.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:57 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
Shenoute wrote:
I was replaying some games by Honinbo Dochi... noticed that some of the games are apparently not in GoGod.
The records can be found here

Thanks. I went through this book and added three games to my Hoshiai Hasseki collection.
For a fourth game I have PW[Yasui Chitetsu] where GoGoD, game 1685-01-20c.sgf, has PW[Yasui Shunchi].
While looking at these old games: GoGoD 1837-00-00a.sgf is a game by Honinbo Dochi who died in 1727. Probably Tenpo 8 should be Kyōhō 8, and that game is perhaps dated 1723-08-01. (Here "GoGoD" refers to the Winter 2015 version.)

Post #6 Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:49 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
Shenoute wrote:
I was replaying some games by Honinbo Dochi... looking for the names of his opponents...
Game 2 is a quick affair (or maybe the game record is incomplete)...

Game 2 is a 1709 game between Inoue Insetsu (B) and Honinbo Dochi (W).
The game record has 74 moves.