It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Iyama Yuta did it!
Post #101 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:27 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 19
mitsun wrote:
by78, your logic seems to be:
1) Iyama lost to Takao in a long match
2) Therefore Iyama cannot be among the world top 10

Is this really a persuasive logical argument?
Maybe logic is not your strong suit.

Seems perfectly persuasive to me. What do you reckon Takao's world ranking is?

Post #102 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:52 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
Well, there are two alternative world rankings, Dr. Park Tiel rank that successfully push Iyama Yuta out of top20 and Mamumamu rank that happily push him out of top30.
While GoRatings's claim its better prediction accuracy might differ from your opinion, you've to give the clarity score to it since it's the only one that publish its paper in English language.

Post #103 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:06 pm 
Dies with sente

pookpooi wrote:
Well, there are two alternative world rankings, Dr. Park Tiel rank that successfully push Iyama Yuta out of top20 and Mamumamu rank that happily push him out of top30.
While GoRatings's claim its better prediction accuracy might differ from your opinion, you've to give the clarity score to it since it's the only one that publish its paper in English language.

I suppose Korean and Japanese rankings are less legitimate because they are foreign. Goratings.org is better because it's in English and sources its games from Go4Go, which is also more legitimate due to it being an English language website, even though its collection of games is incomplete, unlike its Korean and Japanese counterparts that have access to more games.

Silly me... Maybe I shouldn't have applied Aristotelian logic to point out the ridiculousness of Iyama's ranking at Goratings.org because Greek logic is no good.

Post #104 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:13 pm 
Dies with sente

Uberdude wrote:
by78 wrote:
Uberdude wrote:
Just like there's no way Lee Sedol is in the top 10 because he lost to Ichiriki Ryo?

Did Lee lose to Ichiriki in a seven game match?

No. But top Korean and Chinese pros have never beaten Takao in a seven game match with 8 hours each either. So whilst they are considerable favourites in the shorter international matches, I could well believe Takao might do somewhat better against them in such a format. It's worth pointing out that Gu Li was reluctant to the 4 hour time limits of his jubango against Lee Sedol because he saw it as a disadvantage.

Ahhh, the time limit excuse again...

I really do miss the 1980s and early 90s, before the time limit excuse was invented and when the Japanese super-9-Dans (Cho, Kobayashi, Takemiya, Kato, et al.) were sweeping all before them internationally.

Or are my memories faulty? Did Japan have shorter time controls 25-30 years ago?

Post #105 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:14 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
I'm so sick if this Iyama Yuta rating discussion crap in this thread. This is a thread for people who who are interested in tracking Iyama Yuta's achievements because for them he plays a good and or interesting game and because the people want to talk about that. If he is in first or last place in any stupid ranking is totally off topic (and as a fan I don't care one bit about this). If you think he is crap, by78, just don't come here and try to impact your world view on others, it should be obvious by now that not everyone shares your opinion and you made your point quite clear - although not understandable but if that's your way of thinking: fine.
I'd very much prefer to go back to discussing the games and other stuff related to Iyama Yuta here in this thread, there are other threads for discussing ratings and the players they list in whichever order. Or open a new thread discussing the very specific topic of Iyama Yuta in the world rankings. That's all I have to say about this subject and continuing to troll won't change that. *finishes rant*

To contribute something productive and on topic:
I'm sad he wasn't able to win yesterday after this fantastic comeback in the match. But that's how it goes. I have a feeling he'll be there next year, too. :roll: By the way: Thanks for summing the game and your impressions of it up, Uberdude! I think it's always very interesting to read your short thoughts on the games, especially when I have as little time as now to go over the game myself thoroughly. :-)

This post by Ember was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, daal, dfan, gaspacho, Uberdude, Waylon

Post #106 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:14 am 
Dies with sente

Ember wrote:
This is a thread for people who who are interested in tracking Iyama Yuta's achievements because for them he plays a good and or interesting game and because the people want to talk about that. If he is in first or last place in any stupid ranking is totally off topic (and as a fan I don't care one bit about this).

According to whom? You? Who are you?

Post #107 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:47 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
May I suggest we people who like to talk about Iyama Yuta but find by78's repetitive whinging about Iyama's world ranking tiresome move discussion to this new thread I created in which I kindly request no world ranking discussion. by78 please feel welcome to tell us how weak Iyama is compared to Korean/Chinese pros in this new thread.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6