It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2016 Pro qualification tourney
Post #41 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:27 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 19
Uberdude wrote:
wolfking, you looked at the top pro from the qualification tournament Liu Yuhang, what happens if you look at the bottom (number 20?) pro, how about the 50th placed-player? by78 said
by78 wrote:
A lot of theses kids are probably as strong as many top-50 Japanese pros, if not stronger.

When referring to a hall with hundreds of kids I interpreted "a lot" to mean more than just the best player or best few, but a lot of them, a sizeable minority, perhaps 50. Can by78 clarify how many he meant by a lot?

Your interpretation was largely correct. I'd go so far as to bet large sums on the best 20 of these Chinese kids if they faced off against top-50 Japanese pros in a round-robin.

I'd remain very confident if the number were expanded to top 30 of these Chinese kids.

In fact, I'd be still somewhat confident if the best 50 among them were to face off against top-50 pros from Japan.

Post #42 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:24 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
by78 wrote:
Uberdude wrote:
by78, are you talking to me?

Yes, if you are a HOFJOF.

Well, as I prefer to watch Korean and Chinese games (though do follow Iyama and Ichiriki), and agree Japanese pros are weaker than Korean/Chinese ones (though probably not to the same extent as you), and have been to study Go in China and Korea but not Japan (yet, I'd like to go sometime), "Japan only fan" would seem an inappropriate moniker for me.

Post #43 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 364
KGS: wolfking6504
Tygem: wolfking97
kimidori wrote:
Ok, if we use that database, according to the other topic http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewto ... 13&t=13425, Chen Hao, no 100 in China in June, also have a rating of 2372. So I think we can say that top 100 in China is about to equal to top 20 in Japan, I don't see where my statement is wrong. And I also think that it is very reasonable for a new Chinese pro to be at such level.

Ke Jie is about 370 points stronger than that, does it mean 1 or 2 stone handicap approximately?

kimidori, the ranking you quoted was Chinese Weiqi Association's official ranking which only includes Chinese players. They are all variations of Elo ranking but the ranking points scales are different. Chen Hao has 2443 ranking points in nmcgw version and is ranked 80th among Chinese pros. But your claim is still valid assuming the accuracy of nmcgw ranking. Liu Yuhang's 2372 would land him at 107th in nmcgw ranking among Chinese pros and 20th among Japanese pros.

This post by wolfking was liked by: kimidori

Post #44 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:27 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 364
KGS: wolfking6504
Tygem: wolfking97
Uberdude wrote:
wolfking, you looked at the top pro from the qualification tournament Liu Yuhang, what happens if you look at the bottom (number 20?) pro, how about the 50th placed-player?

Uberdude, that "top pro" is somewhat ambiguous. Liu Yuhang(刘宇航) is the top rated new pro in nmgcw rating, but he actually went 9 and 4 and finished 8th in the tournament. One of those losses was to another new pro He Yang(何旸), who finished at 14th, but was only number 52 in rating with 2099 points.

The bottom new pro (finished at 20th) is Zhou Yuchuan(周玉川) who is 34th in rating with 2130 points. He is 1 point behind Takagi Shoichi 9p in nmgcw rating and would be number 142 in Japan. The 50th in rating is Chen Xinyuan(陈新元) with 2102 points and would be number 158 in Japan.

The lowest rated new pro is Yao Xiaotong(尧潇童) at number 66 with 2081 points and would be number 178 in Japan. At the other extreme is Chen Yichun(陈一纯), the highest rated player that did not qualify. He has 2256 rating points (5th in rating) but won only 8 games(1 less win than Liu Yuhang) out of 13 and finished 28th! He would be number 68 in Japan, 3 points behind Takemiya sensei. So there is a chance of Takemiya failing the pro exam, consider the brutal schedule of the tournament :D

Post #45 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:44 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 11
I doubt takemiya would be able to become a pro in China right now. He's probably too old to have enough endurance to compete in such a cut throat environment playing over a dozen games with a bunch of kids.

Post #46 Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:45 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
by78 wrote:

With the above definition in mind, please allow me to again repeat this for the benefit of JOFs: Japanese pros are WEAK compared to their Korean and Chinese counterparts. I mean, they are demonstrably WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, WEAK, compared to Korean and Chinese pros.

And finally, as I have advised before, my dear precious, fragile, sensitive JOFs, please take a deep breath and sod off!

by78, please calm down your tone.
You are free to express your opinion, back with facts, etc. But the aggressive language is not necessary and is not productive to the conversation. Your use of language is also not appropriate for the forum.

I am an admin on this forum, so please consider this your last warning.

This post by Kirby was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, globulon, Joaz Banbeck, mhlepore

Post #47 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:20 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
idontgetit wrote:
I doubt takemiya would be able to become a pro in China right now. He's probably too old to have enough endurance to compete in such a cut throat environment playing over a dozen games with a bunch of kids.

If this is true for stamina reasons (as you say), then wouldn't it apply to any 65 year old professional, whether from Japan, China, or Korea? So what is your point in singling out one Japanese pro?

Post #48 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:15 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 11
mhlepore wrote:
idontgetit wrote:

If this is true for stamina reasons (as you say), then wouldn't it apply to any 65 year old professional, whether from Japan, China, or Korea? So what is your point in singling out one Japanese pro?

Um because I was responding to the guy who used takemiya as an example? In fact it'd be much harder for most 65+ Chinese pros to pass the pro exams today, because China was much weaker than Japan back in the day. There just weren't that many strong Chinese pros back then. The only guy who could've been considered strong is Nie Wieping who is "only" 63.

Post #49 Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
idontgetit wrote:

Um because I was responding to the guy who used takemiya as an example? In fact it'd be much harder for most 65+ Chinese pros to pass the pro exams today, because China was much weaker than Japan back in the day. There just weren't that many strong Chinese pros back then. The only guy who could've been considered strong is Nie Wieping who is "only" 63.

Ah - I completely missed the person you were responding to, and thought it was just a general statement supporting the "Japanese are weak" theme. Sorry.