It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: 2016 Samsung Cup
Post #121 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:15 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 8
Ke Jie just beat Kono Rin by resignation (in 150 moves) to take the China-Japan Agon Cup. Without taking a breather from his Samsung Cup victory, Ke flew straight to Japan for the Agon cup. This kid is really something else. Maybe we should have a thread dedicated to Ke Jie. What do yo guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRaGHjcv0T8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q3OkN-TApo&t=0s

Attachments:
__go4go_20161211_Kono-Rin_Ke-Jie.sgf [1020 Bytes]
Downloaded 802 times

Last edited by ewan1971 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #122 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:46 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 11
I remember Kong Jie winning like 3 titles in 2010, with some smatterings of 2nd places in '09 and '11. Or something like that. But no one remembers him now. And remember Piao Wenyao? Jiang Weijie?

While Ke Jie is doing pretty impressively so far, he hasn't shown enough evidence that he will be here to stay for good. I don't like how his name is so similar to Kong Jie... =/

Let's wait a bit longer.

Post #123 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:42 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
Quote:
Let's wait a bit longer.

We just have to wait till he gets married :)

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, hokusai

Post #124 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:44 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
idontgetit seems to have a rather high standard to think a topic deserves a thread, I say make one if you want to. Threads are cheap.

Btw I still remember Kong Jie, he had a very nice style.

Post #125 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:48 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
The advantage Ke Jie has on Kong Jie is age. He was the youngest to win a 3rd international title, and now he is the youngest to win his 4th. And the fact that he has sustained a great level of excellence in both league and international plays for 3 years running now does make him stand out from past young champions and make him the most promising star we've seen in some time. And he is not getting married any time soon.

After the game against Kono Rin, Ke Jie admitted as much that fatigue played a role in him misreading the life-and-death situation on the right side and essentially gave Rin a free move due to the ko, and what continues to impress me is his ability to judge the overall situation on the board and maintain a clear head even right after realizing the misread. He knew he was fine as long as he could make the two groups alive, and in fact, he said in the post-game interview that because Rin played several bad ko threats in the middle, he could still win even if his upper group were to die.

Post #126 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:58 pm 
Dies in gote

idontgetit wrote:
I remember Kong Jie winning like 3 titles in 2010, with some smatterings of 2nd places in '09 and '11. Or something like that. But no one remembers him now. And remember Piao Wenyao? Jiang Weijie?

While Ke Jie is doing pretty impressively so far, he hasn't shown enough evidence that he will be here to stay for good. I don't like how his name is so similar to Kong Jie... =/

Let's wait a bit longer.

Kong had one brilliant year. One. When he was 27 years of age. Ke is barely 19 and already has four international titles under his belt.

And you don't like Ke Jie because his name is similar to Kong Jie? Or did I misunderstand you?

Post #127 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:00 pm 
Dies in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
Let's wait a bit longer.

That's a myth. Marriage doesn't impact playing strength as much as it's made out to be; it's having kids that probably impacts more. Then again you have to take into consideration that by the time a player is old enough to have kids, his/her age alone probably accounts for the declining strength.

Post #128 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:26 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
idontgetit wrote:
I remember Kong Jie winning like 3 titles in 2010, with some smatterings of 2nd places in '09 and '11. Or something like that. But no one remembers him now. And remember Piao Wenyao? Jiang Weijie.
I suspect that's a somewhat skewed perspective. He was apparently #1 by rating in China in 2003, 2007, 2010, and was in the top ten on goratings for that entire period. I'm sure Ke Jie is hoping for even more success than that, but I'm not sure Kong Jie is a great example of a flash in the pan player.

Edit: replaced 'Ke Jie' with 'Kong Jie' in the last sentence.

Post #129 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:45 pm 
Dies with sente

ewan1971 wrote:
idontgetit wrote:

Let's wait a bit longer.

Kong had one brilliant year. One. When he was 27 years of age. Ke is barely 19 and already has four international titles under his belt.

And you don't like Ke Jie because his name is similar to Kong Jie? Or did I misunderstand you?

No, it was a joke. As in, they're names are similar, hopefully they don't end up in a similar way.

Ke Jie might be young, but Fan Tingyu was young when he won the ING cup, but didn't do TOO much the past 4 years until this year in the nongshim cup. Look, all I was trying to say is that Ke Jie is not yet on LCH or Wu Qingyuan's level, yet. And it remains to be seen whether he will reach such a height. But of course what he's done already is very impressive, and I think he has a very good chance of reaching LCH/LSD level.

BTW is there a way to stay logged in? I hate getting logged out every day or other day... I do check they stay logged in thing, but it doesn't really work.

Post #130 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:47 pm 
Dies in gote

idontgetit wrote:
ewan1971 wrote:
idontgetit wrote:

Let's wait a bit longer.

No, it was a joke. As in, they're names are similar, hopefully they don't end up in a similar way.

Ke Jie might be young, but Fan Tingyu was young when he won the ING cup, but didn't do TOO much the past 4 years until this year in the nongshim cup. Look, all I was trying to say is that Ke Jie is not yet on LCH or Wu Qingyuan's level, yet. And it remains to be seen whether he will reach such a height. But of course what he's done already is very impressive, and I think he has a very good chance of reaching LCH/LSD level.

BTW is there a way to stay logged in? I hate getting logged out every day or other day... I do check they stay logged in thing, but it doesn't really work.

1) Fan Tingyu is not Ke Jie, and Ke Jie is not Fan Tingyu. Both are 19, but one has four world titles, and the other has one. So I don't see your point of comparing the two.

2) Sorry, but I never said Ke is on the same level as Lee Changho or Go Seigen. I'm afraid you are erecting one too many straw men here.

I think the gist of my original post was quite clear and reasonable: Ke Jie has done impressively for someone who is only 19. Perhaps he deserves a dedicated thread here to follow his career. If Iyama has a dedicated thread here, surely Ke Jie deserves one, no?

I have no problem if you disagree. Furthermore, I don't even have a problem with you disliking Ke Jie because his name sounds too similar to Kong Jie. My problem was with your lack of logic. But hey, to each his or her own.

Post #131 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:07 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Just for documentation, and because I don't like it if words are twisted in somebody’s mouth
idontgetit wrote:
[..] Ke Jie [..] I don't like how his name is so similar to Kong Jie [..]
(emphasis added by me)

Last edited by Bonobo on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #132 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:40 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
@ewan1971: Just make a Ke Jie thread if you're a fan. I don't see what you're waiting for :-)

Post #133 Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:09 pm 
Dies with sente

deleted

Last edited by idontgetit on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #134 Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:22 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
ewan1971 wrote:
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
Let's wait a bit longer.

That's a myth. Marriage doesn't impact playing strength as much as it's made out to be; it's having kids that probably impacts more.

I lost all British Championship title match games I played whilst unmarried, and have won all since I got married :D .

This post by Uberdude was liked by 6 people: Bonobo, Elom0, emeraldemon, ez4u, illluck, Waylon

Post #135 Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:20 am 
Dies with sente

Chen Yaoye won the Bailing cup after getting married. Not sure if he's been married for a while or he just got married, but he's married.

Post #136 Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:39 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 98
idontgetit wrote:
Chen Yaoye won the Bailing cup after getting married. Not sure if he's been married for a while or he just got married, but he's married.

He got married in May, after winning Tianyuan for the record 8th consecutive time.

This post by xiayun was liked by: idontgetit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7