It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Golden Oldies
Post #1 Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
As the year 2017 draws to an end, I think it is worth cleaving through the AG obsession to remember some landmarks with players of the past.

Two recent ones I'll mention here.

Lian Jianwen died a fortnight ago, aged 74. He wasn't specially famous but readers from the era when the start of the Japan-China matches created an AG level of excitement will probably recall his name, and he was notable for a lucid and pure style that was an excellent model for amateurs.

In November Rin Kaiho was elevated further within the Japanese gong hierarchy and is now a member of the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Ribbon, i.e. Class III. He is now on a par with Go Seigen. Fellow members of this class include Hank Aaron and Clint Eastwood. There are no remunerations but Rin will now have the perk of addressing amateurs in simuls with "Go ahead, punk, make my day" before slugging them out of the park.

But where is Cho Chikun's gong?

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom

Post subject: Re: Golden Oldies
Post #2 Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:47 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 542
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
Are you writing about the shi, nong, gong, shang hierarchy? Presumably Cho Chikun must rank higher than gong, wouldn't you say? And where would Iyama rank should the award be made?

Post #3 Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:34 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
A gong is a medal here.

Post #4 Posted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:36 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
John Fairbairn wrote:
As the year 2017 draws to an end, I think it is worth cleaving through the AG obsession to remember some landmarks with players of the past.

Two recent ones I'll mention here.

Lian Jianwen died a fortnight ago, aged 74. He wasn't specially famous but readers from the era when the start of the Japan-China matches created an AG level of excitement will probably recall his name, and he was notable for a lucid and pure style that was an excellent model for amateurs.

In November Rin Kaiho was elevated further within the Japanese gong hierarchy and is now a member of the Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Ribbon, i.e. Class III. He is now on a par with Go Seigen. Fellow members of this class include Hank Aaron and Clint Eastwood. There are no remunerations but Rin will now have the perk of addressing amateurs in simuls with "Go ahead, punk, make my day" before slugging them out of the park.

But where is Cho Chikun's gong?