It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Iyama's world ranking
Post #101 Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:06 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 8
jlt wrote:
Park Yeonghun has recently beaten strong opponents like Park Junghwan (3630) and Gu Zihao (3593), but also lost against low rated players like Kim Hyenchan (3246) and Song Gyusang (3329).

I wanted to check by myself if Iyama's rating reflects his performance against Chinese and Korean players. I considered a player with initial rating 3470, and I made him play the same 17 matches than Iyama's since January 2018 with the same result, and repeated that 10000 times. After each of the 17000 matches, the rating is incremented by c(match_result - 1/(10D/100+1)) where c=20 is an arbitrary constant and D is the difference between the opponent's rating and the current player's rating.

The player ended with a rating of... 3339 points, which puts him at the 98th place on goratings.

The constant c=20 is arbitrary, but changing it to other reasonable values (between 1 and 40) doesn't change the conclusion much.

I repeated the same experiment with the 14 matches in 2017 against Chinese and Korean opponents. The final rating is 3524, which corresponds to the 15th place.

If we take into account all the 31 matches since January 2017, we get a rating of 3410 (rank=54th).

My conclusion is that maybe Iyama is a bit overrated, but the variations are so wild that it's impossible to get a reliable rating by only taking into account non-Japanese opponents.

Here is a scilab code, for those who would like to check.

rating=3470;

opp_ratings=[3652,3652,3639,3519,3641,3587,3475,3496,3502,3502,3500,3609,3531,3631,3578,3488,3516,3517,3517,3431,3647,3565,3447,3588,3585,3448,3483,2969,3458,3465,3542];

match_results=[1,0,0,0,0,0,1,1,0,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,1,1,0];

n=length(opp_ratings);
c=20;

for number_of_loops=1:10000;

for i=1:n;
D=opp_ratings(i)-rating;
S=1/(10^(D/400)+1);
rating=rating+c*(match_results(i)-S);
end

end
disp(rating)

By the way, is it possible to do the same analysis for Japanese players collectively? I wonder, no, I suspect that Goratings overestimates Japanese players collectively. I know nothing about statistics, but here's what a Reddit user who does had to say about this matter (https://www.reddit.com/r/baduk/comments/71je7h/world_rankings/):
Quote:
Hi Remi, I don't know too much about Taeil Bai's method. The rating system I usually follow is mamumamu. I agree with you that incremental ratings systems don't work well, and that your system is far superior to those.

My criticism of your system comes when comparing it to mamumamu's ratings. http://sports.geocities.jp/mamumamu0413/total.html It uses Glicko2-system for matches between strongly connected players and MLE concurrent with Glicko2 for international matches.

First, please allow me to confess that my understanding of statistics is probably elementary compared to yours. So I would appreciate patience in enlightening me if my criticism stems from my own ignorance.

When looking at Iyama Yuta's rating. He is current 3546 compared to Ke Jie at 3668. This suggests Iyama Yuta has a 33% chance of winning against Ke Jie. If you look at Mamumamu, it is 9.79 for Iyama Yuta and 10.867 for Ke Jie, which suggests a 22% win rate. This suggests mamumamu and goratings are off by about 100elo for Iyama Yuta.

When compiling the last 19 games (all games since 1/1/2015) of data for Iyama Yuta vs Chinese/Korean professionals, he has 8 wins when I calculate 9.8 wins expected based on goratings.org. This suggests his elo is about 70 points higher than it is. However, it is not statistically significant, as the deviation is less than 1 sigma. However, it is hard to get a statistically significant result with only 19 samples.

If I look at the next highest ranked Japanese player. Ichiriki Ryo. He has played 40 games against Chinese/Korean pros since 1/1/2015. Based on ratings from goratings I expect 16.8 wins, but there were 10. With Ichiriki Ryo, the deviation is just over 2sigma.

If combining the data for Iyama and Ichiriki, the deviation is well over 2sigma, but still under 3 sigma. Adding in more players from Japan to this, or taking the whole data for Japan vs China/Korea matches should further support this point.

I understand that I am only looking at part of the data, and ignoring the passage of time. However, I'm systematically picking out games that fit a certain neutral criteria, then calculating the expected # of wins and comparing to the actual # of wins and finding a statistically significant deviation. As ratings are used to predict future win probability, this suggests to me a flaw in the methodology used to produce the ratings.

My theory is that, although WHR does work better than incremental methods for strongly connected groups of players, it does not work well enough. My theory is further supported if you do a similar analysis for Taiwan vs China/Korea and NA/EU vs China/Korea. China and Korea play many games against each other, but there are far fewer opportunities for Japan/Taiwan/NA/EU to play against China/Korea.

FYI this is the description of mamumamu's methodology. http://sports.geocities.jp/mamumamu0413 ... le004.html He uses glicko2 first to calculate ratings for each country, then uses MLE to adjust the ratings for regional differences, accounting for the fact that glicko2 is insufficient for this adjustment.

Post #102 Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:31 am 
Dies with sente

Iyama has dropped to #60 on Mamumanu's world ranking.

http://mamumamu0413.web.fc2.com/rating/world/ranking.html

Post #103 Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:27 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Seems entirely reasonable: he's no longer so dominant in Japan, losing two titles, going to the wire against Yamashita in the Kisei, some surprising losses in the leagues. Meanwhile the hoard of strong Chinese youngsters is growing in number and strength so even if he'd maintained the same performance and rating his place would have dropped. Nevertheless, although any random Chinese kid you've never heard of at #60 could upset a top 5 player like Ke Jie on a good day, I still think Iyama would have better chances. His rating takes quite a knock for each loss as he's mostly playing weaker players in Japan, and his wins won't raise it much.

Post #104 Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:24 am 
Dies with sente

Iyama has dropped to 38th place on goratings.org. This is more like it, but it still significantly inflates Iyama's strength, as it does all Japanese players. Meanwhile, Mamumanu's world ranking has Iyama at 60th place, which is a far more realistic assessment, in my opinion.

Post #105 Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:22 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 72
Was liked: 479
KGS: macelee
More interesting is that Ichiriki Ryo is at 36th, two positions above him.

Post #106 Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:19 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Can anyone who knows Mamumanu’s system comment on how much weaker it thinks Iyama is today than at his peak? It seems like goratings has drastically downgraded him (from a probably inflated peak), while Mamumanu has made a smaller adjustment (from a more accurate starting point).

Post #107 Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:14 pm 
Dies with sente

macelee wrote:
More interesting is that Ichiriki Ryo is at 36th, two positions above him.

Inflated! Goratings cannot be trusted when it comes to Japanese players. Mamumamu ranks Ichiriki at 75th, still 15 places behind Iyama.

Post #108 Posted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:53 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
Here are Iyama's and Ichiriki's rankings according to jlt's ranking system described a few messages above (assuming I didn't misclick, as I did a lot of manipulations by hand on Openoffice).

1) If we only take into account the most recent matches against Chinese and Korean opponents during a period of 1 year, then Iyama gets an Elo rating of 3409 (56th) and Ichiriki's rating is 3410 (55th).

2) Same thing for 2 years instead of 1 year: Iyama's rating is 3421 (47th) and Ichiriki's is 3343 (93th).

I wouldn't say any of these rankings is reliable since they fluctuate too much, but they do reflect the fact that Iyama's level has decreased while Ichiriki is catching up.

The calculation (1) doesn't take into account Iyama's 4 recent losses (3 against Murakawa and 1 against Ichiriki).

This post by jlt was liked by: TheCannyOnion

Post #109 Posted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:27 pm 
Dies with sente

Iyama has dropped to #63 on Mamumamu's ranking. On Goratings.org, which greatly inflates Japanese players' strength, Iyamma has dropped to #42.

#42 is still too high, but that's Goratings for you.

Post #110 Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:24 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
I'll take the opportunity to post this while by78 and TheCannyOnion are not active at the moment *undercover movements*.

I think a main reason why Iyama Yuuta was overrated was because Goratings uses normal distribution. Indeed we often see this with #1 and #2 player, well at least I do. The rating difference between the top two players in a normal distribution almost always seem ridiculously large to me. So we have a normal distribution. Then we have almost a separate player pool in the case of Japan, and a pool highly represented in the case of the Women's Korean Baduk League. This results in Iyama Yuuta being overrated and Cho'ie Jeoung's rating being much higher at the end of the Women's Korean Baduk League. Of course the player pool skew is going to be an issue for most rating systems but . . . they can easily be addressed by reducing the weighting of games between players who play in in the same country, and of female-female games, both to about half of the standard. If this would reduce the overall weighting of games too much, instead one can multiply the standard rating by root2, and the same-country and female-female pairings by root1/2, to get the same 2 to 1 ratio but with an average of 1. I tried desperately to contact Rémi Coulom about changing the weights in this way, but I wasn't successful. Might anybody know how to reach him with this message?

I intend to create a new rating system based on an extremely simple version of WHR, using logistic distribution with games from international tournaments and between players who, relative to that point in time, rarely play each other or play against players who play each other, all by the end of this year, but I have a reverse-talent for programming. To me the 15-year-old hackers and programmers are a far more inexplicable existence to me than 15-year-olds doing last-year undergraduate calculus.

Post #111 Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:34 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 30
Was liked: 87
KGS: 5d
OGS: 1d-2k
On this ranking, Iyama Yuta is currently 10th in the world which is quite exciting https://daizj.net/baduk-go-weiqi-ratings/

This post by xiaodai was liked by: Elom0

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6