All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Samsung Cup preliminaries are almost finish
Post #1 Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:17 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
http://baduk.or.kr/square/board/3886

It seems either 오유진 or 김은지 will qualify, as expected, while Li Xuanhao has defeated Tang Weixing so far.

Post subject: Re: Samsung Cup preliminaries are almost finish
Post #2 Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:51 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
Anyone know if there are "old people" tracks in the Samsung preliminaries?

I suspect there is in the case of Korea and Japan.

I noticed that Lee Changho, which hasn't made it past first round for multiple years, is nevertheless killing his preliminary bracket every year. When I glanced over it I saw some names of "older" players that I recognized. The bracket that Lee Changho's is is also the only all-nine-dan bracket and that is the case for at least the last four years. Therefore, it appears he is in a preliminary bracket with some older players.

Then I noticed that in the last few years the Japanese preliminaries (as shown on gotoeveryone) does also appear to be split by age. The first bracket has some younger players that are in the contention for the big-7 titles. While the second bracket has players that are older than in the first bracket.

While we are on this topic. Usually gotoeveryone will show names of females in red ink and a few years ago there was evidently an all-female bracket for the Korean preliminaries. I think there could still be one, but the red ink ran out, at least some of the players from the bracket 3 years ago, that was all in red ink, are still together in the same preliminary bracket.