All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tournament Entry Requirements
Post #1 Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:54 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Today, I just saw that the Gosei is only open to players 5-dan and up, if they're in the Nihon Ki-in. Oddly, Kansai Ki-in players can enter regardless of rank. Two questions:

1. Are there other tournaments like this? I'm not thinking of tournaments that have very special entrance criteria, but ones that are only open to specific ranks.

2. I couldn't find out why the Kansai Ki-in had different rules from the Nihon Ki-in. Is this a case where the sponsors don't impose the rules, but the professional associations do?

Post subject: Re: Tournament Entry Requirements
Post #2 Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:15 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 33
Was liked: 60
GD Posts: 248
hyperpape wrote:
Today, I just saw that the Gosei is only open to players 5-dan and up, if they're in the Nihon Ki-in. Oddly, Kansai Ki-in players can enter regardless of rank. Two questions:

1. Are there other tournaments like this? I'm not thinking of tournaments that have very special entrance criteria, but ones that are only open to specific ranks.

2. I couldn't find out why the Kansai Ki-in had different rules from the Nihon Ki-in. Is this a case where the sponsors don't impose the rules, but the professional associations do?

On a quick check, at least as of the last Go Almanac, all of the other top 7 titles are open to all Japanese pros, regardless of rank or affiliation. Thanks for the post, the Almanac agrees with you, and I did not know the Gosei was so limited.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:07 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 17
Was liked: 0
hyperpape wrote:

There were (and probably still are) quite some tournaments open only for certain lower ranks, for example only for 6 dan or lower - mostly some variation of "New Stars" tournament for younger players.

From the top of my head, I can recall Shinjin-O title in Japan (I think it has some age restrictions too), King of New Stars in Korea (and China?)... There were more, but not all were long-lived.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:50 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Yes, that's what I was thinking of with "very specific" entrance requirements--the Kansai Ki-in championship, Okan and Shinjin O are all specialized tournaments. It's more surprising with the Gosei because it seems like it ought to be wide open to all Japanese professionals.

Post #5 Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:38 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 3
there are some.

Okan cup is open only for Nihon kiin Nagoya branch. Kansai Kiin First Place is open only for Kansai Kiin player.