All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Master's 60 games as a merged tree sgf file
Post #1 Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:00 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I have taken Master's 60 games and merged them into a single SGF file to allow convenient browsing, particularly seeing how it and the humans opponents branch in the early opening. This makes it easy to see some patterns and idiosyncrasies of its play, for example when it plays white against a shimari plus 4-4 combo (aka "orthodox opening" with the small shimari, though the large one is far more common in these games) with a 3-4 and 4-4, it doesn't split the black side or approach the corner as all humans did against it, but makes its own shimari. I've also added a few notes to categorise the openings and highlight famous moments, but not gone for game commentary. This is still a work in progress: I haven't yet normalised positions for reflections and rotations which will reveal even more games have the same openings (vote here for which orientation you like, I've all but decided an orthodox opening goes on the right). Hope you find it useful. I will update with a newer version in future (normalised, sort variations by frequency, some move statistics, more notes and commentary links) but wanted to share what I've done so far and welcome feedback.

P.S. I tried using MultiGo to do the merging but couldn't get it to work, so in the end used wms's sgfMerger.jar which just joins the 60 files as separate nodes in an sgf, and then manually identified the common moves and merged the games. I will manually to the normalisation for rotations/reflections, which is laborious but replaying these games is worthwile so don't mind. But for future similar tasks is anyone aware of a tool that does this automatically?

Attachments:
Master-merged-v1.sgf [92.8 KiB]
Downloaded 1832 times

This post by Uberdude was liked by 7 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, ez4u, FuriousGeorge, joellercoaster, Kap, wolfking

Post subject: Re: Master's 60 games as a merged tree sgf file
Post #2 Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:34 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Fantastic! A MASTERFUL job. Many thanks. :D

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:57 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Uberdude wrote:
[..] normalisation for rotations/reflections [..] is anyone aware of a tool that does this automatically?

not directly, but AFAIK Jan Prokop’s “Waltheri's go pattern search” does this; there’s some info on the “About” page, and he also curates a list of Go-related libraries on github, so … maybe he can give you a few hints if you ask him?

Post #4 Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:16 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
Uberdude wrote:
In the end used wms's sgfMerger.jar which just joins the 60 files as separate nodes in an sgf, and then manually identified the common moves and merged the games. I will manually to the normalisation for rotations/reflections, which is laborious but replaying these games is worthwile so don't mind. But for future similar tasks is anyone aware of a tool that does this automatically?

I expect that there must be such tools for the construction of joseki libraries. If you cannot find what you need and live in a Linux/Unix environment I can post a utility for you.

Post #5 Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:24 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 17
I Drago it opens as one game with variations, but not as a multi game sgf...
A bit OT, FYI, Drago can create opening libraries...: File - Collections - Make game tree

This post by Sneegurd was liked by: Uberdude

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:49 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Sneegurd wrote:
I Drago it opens as one game with variations, but not as a multi game sgf...

That was the idea, merging into just one variation tree so you can easily see where the players branched in positions common to multiple games. I've also attached the earlier stage of a multi-game sgf, though as the player names are in node labels (which CGoban doesn't easily display but Drago does) rather than comments it's not so useful for CGoban users. Also seems the forum's eidogo player doesn't like it.

Sneegurd wrote:
A bit OT, FYI, Drago can create opening libraries...: File - Collections - Make game tree

OT means Off Topic? Because it's not. That's pretty much exactly what I wanted, thank you! I'd heard good things about Drago before but not used it myself before. Viewing the resulting merged tree in Drago is also nice because the variations widget shows move and winner statistics (which as Master won all the games tells you which colour it is).

Attachments:
Master-all.sgf [81.27 KiB]
Downloaded 458 times

Post #7 Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:45 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 40
Hello,

Uberdude wrote:
But for future similar tasks is anyone aware of a tool that does this automatically?

Kombilo can also "in principle" do this (take the files as one "Kombilo database", and build an SGF tree for the empty board as starting pattern), but it would add some statistical information as comments to the SGF file which might be undesirable in this case. If there is demand, I could add a button to switch off these comments. (Right now, this could also be done easily with some Python programming.)

Best regards, Ulrich