It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chang Hao wins in the Agon Cup semifinal
Post #1 Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:18 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 23
Was liked: 86
GD Posts: 104
On August 22, the quarterfinals of the 12th Agon Cup took place in Beijing. In one game, Chang Hao took the white stones and withstood Gu Li's challenge, winning by resignation to enter the semifinals.

This game had some new ideas in the opening. White's two-space high approach at 4, followed by Black's one-space low pincer immediately sparked interest among observers. During the opening a large fight developed on the right side. Black wrapped around the White dragon, playing a very severe line. However, during the attack, Gu Li made some serious miscalculations. As a result, not only did White smoothly connect his stones, Black was forced to mend some defects, ending the attack in gote,

After suffering these losses, Gu Li's "marksmanship" became somewhat chaotic. After the territory in Black's upper right corner was gutted, the black stones there were unexpectedly annihilated. At this point, the game's outcome was decided.

Not quite ready to quit, Gu Li played on for 80-90 moves. After 200 moves, he finally admitted defeat.

After the match, Chang Hao said that during the opening Black attacked somewhat too ferociously. After White's center stones connected, Black's situation deteriorated.

Reviewing the game, Gu Li noted that the Black 55 makes profit, but there is no hurry to start the attack at 57. First Black could play L16 to pincer the two white stones. Waiting for the right opportunity to strike at 57 would be a more reasonable path.

Chang Hao said: "My results have not been very good this year, only entering the finals of the BC Card Cup. I hope my performance is good in the Agon Cup. Gu Li is the strongest player in the country, and his blitz Go is especially formidable. Being able to overcome him in this match will help me in future matches.

Gu Li stated that he made some obvious mistakes, and that he was not satisfied with his play. He said that he has not played much blitz Go recently, and that this may have had an influence.

In the other games, Qiu Jun 8p defeated defending champion Sun Tengyu 7p; Piao Wenyao 5p defeated Jiang Weijie, and Chen Yaoye 9p defeated Wang Xi 9p.

The semifinals are scheduled for August 30. Qiu Jun will play Chen Yaoye, and Chang Hao will play Piao Wenyao.

Sources: This and that.

This post by Peter Hansmeier was liked by: k1ndofblue

Post subject: Re: Chang Hao wins in the Agon Cup semifinal
Post #2 Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:24 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 96
Was liked: 100
Much appreciated Peter.

Post #3 Posted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:31 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Thanks.

Anybody got an SGF?

My prediction for the finals: Chang wins over Chen.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:00 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 6
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Anybody got an SGF?

You can replay it online here: http://justplaygo.com/index.php/JPG/ago ... nd_results

Or you can download the SGF from this page: http://igo-kisen.hp.infoseek.co.jp/agon2.html

This post by Adrian Ghioc was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #5 Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:27 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren