All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Peak Go Performance Age
Post #21 Posted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:20 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
The elephant in the room is that for whatever reason, there have been several Chinese players who seem to peak in their late teens/early twenties and either decline significantly (Fan Tingyu) or stay very good but below their peak (Shi Yue). I think John has mentioned the pressure and number of games as possibilities, but I don't think we fully know why. Currently the oldest top Chinese players are Zhou Ruiyang (26), Tuo Jiaxi (26) and Chen Yaoye (27).

This doesn't mean that Ke Jie won't be a player who can be one of the very best for ten years, but we'll have to wait and see.

Post subject: Re: Peak Go Performance Age
Post #22 Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:17 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 44
Was liked: 218
GD Posts: 10
Two big news for shogi world today, but what related to this topic is that Yoshiharu Habu becomes the first person ever to hold 7 lifetime major titles (different from what Iyama Yuta has done, but Habu already did that back in 1996), and he is 47 years old and is also Chess FIDE Master (I'm wondering if this is related to transfer knowledge or not). I'm not familiar with shogi world at all but my personal belief is the peak age should be similar to chess. This year we also have 14-year-old Sota Fujii set record for most consecutive wins. 47+14/2 = 30.5 years (this is not any statistics method, just show how my personal belief work)