Post subject: Go time limits
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:44 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
P.s It's Posco not Poscho: they are a big steel company (I visited their factory as part of the physics olympiad in Pohang some years ago).

Saying they are a big steelmaker is like saying Roger Federer is a good tennis player :) I went there as part of Maggie Thatcher's press entourage. I'd been to steel works before but this was pretty mind-blowing - not just the size but the fact that there were so few humans around.

But if it's being nice to go sponsors time (which I approve of) I believe their official English name is POSCO as they see it as an acronym (Pohang Steel Company).

Interestingly there is also a Poscho steel company in Bombay.

The Korean lady is 17-year-old Heo Seo-hyeon but she also goes by Hu Suhyun and Heo Seohyun (and by analogy with other Heos, I expect there is, or will be, also a Ho version out there). Pro since last December. The Hanguk Kiweon seems to be feeding an awful lot of new 1-dans into the system, which seems odd given how hard it is for many of the established pros to maintain a decent living now. Is it all a desperate ploy to match the Chinese youth? With some events being reduced to 20 minutes + 3x20 seconds, I expect the next stage will be 10 seconds a move for pros straight out of Kindergarten. And so on, to vanishing point - literally.

Thank you for the note and story :).

Actually, I was wondering if you might have any idea's regarding how Go in Korea might be able to retain sponsors while maintaining longer time limits (A Go culture like in Japan's case may be admirable, but it might take too long or not be possible for that type of shift to occur at a rate faster than the current trend, before it's too late...)

Not to open a can of worms...

Maybe this is hundredth time many here has seen this tournament time limit balance 'complaint' if you will, I guess the only difference here is that I was wondering if we might come up with any half-practal solutions given the range of expertise in different fields on the forum... (Even I have some lousy ideas...)
http://loveku.livejournal.com/23053.html

Post subject: Re: Go time limits
Post #2 Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:18 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
I was watching GBNews about a week ago and they mentioned something interesting regarding the overly-dramatic clamour over the future of the current UK administration. When she's only spent a month in office.

As a culture over time we've become more short-term in our thinking. Japan and maybe Russia are exceptions to the rule—in the sense that they're not as badly affected by the short term trend as much of the rest of the world. In Korea the need for baduk to generate income means it's simply prone to the trends of society. Even though it's older people watching baduk TV Old Koreans are more hip, down and with it with the young than in other countries. Yeah, I actually typed that . . . A better way to put it is Korea is a more (time) universalist culture. Anyway, the point is it may be more productive for Korean pros to try to emphasise long term consequences of moves they make in commentaries, and naturally viewers will develop an appetite for long term time limits and sponsors