It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro rivalries -- BTS 25th Meijin
Post #1 Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
I was looking at the Behind the Scenes of the 25th Meijin (2000) on the GoGoD CD and in particular the commentary on game 1 -- Cho Chikun vs Yoda Norimoto
(for those of you with the cd -- GoGoD/TBase/Features/MeijinBehindScenes.htm and GoGoD/TBase/Features/SpecialComm.htm)

In the comments, Takemiya Masaki criticized several of Yoda's moves, and for one move in particular it says he was relentlessly critical even long after the match.

I'm wondering if some of this criticism was due in part to rivalries between the pros, and perhaps their teachers (now long after the demise of the 4 go houses).

I notice that Cho Chikun was a student of Kitani Minoru. (Also of note, Cho Chikun's uncle, Cho Nam-ch'eol was also a Kitani pupil). And the Three Crows of the Kitani dojo were Takemiya (commentator for the newspaper), Ishida Yoshio (referee) and Kato Masao (on the NHK TV reporting team)

The room feels like its Kitani vs Ando Takeo (Yoda's teacher). And I also notice that it was Cho Sonjin, another Ando pupil who broke Cho Chikun's 10 year Hon'inbo streak the previous year.

Is this a bit of a grudge match?

Post subject: Re: Pro rivalries -- BTS 25th Meijin
Post #2 Posted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:58 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
Well, even if this rivalry is in my own imagination, I was pleased to see Yoda defeat Takemiya in this week's NHK match by 10.5 points (as black)

http://igo-kisen.hp.infoseek.co.jp/58nhk2-5.sgf