All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tournament Weightings
Post #1 Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:12 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
Here I go again...

While in practice impractical in theory it seems a reason for cheerfulness to be able to weight professional tournaments into a rating system, international tournaments weighted more than national tournaments, 'normal', however defined, or longer time tournaments more than speed, ING high and mighty above all...

However not awfully keen on specific player ratings or any clichéd semi-productive rabbit-hole of the sort here (oh, the tragedy... But my hypocrisy in cheek shnes through...).

Post subject: Re: Tournament Weightings
Post #2 Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:55 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Elom wrote:
Here I go again...

While in practice impractical in theory it seems a reason for cheerfulness to be able to weight professional tournaments into a rating system, international tournaments weighted more than national tournaments, 'normal', however defined, or longer time tournaments more than speed, ING high and mighty above all...

However not awfully keen on specific player ratings or any clichéd semi-productive rabbit-hole of the sort here (oh, the tragedy... But my hypocrisy in cheek shnes through...).

I think it's a bad idea to weight international above national. To put it crudely, I doubt professionals are just jerking around in national events.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:50 am 
Lives in sente

Javaness2 wrote:
Elom wrote:
Here I go again...

I think it's a bad idea to weight international above national. To put it crudely, I doubt professionals are just jerking around in national events.

It's nothing to do with the quality of the match. That aspect's for the attempt of weighting via time limits

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:33 am 
Lives in sente

The reasoning for such a weird suggestion is unrelated to game gravity— weighting international tournament games as heavier may help counteract any exclusivity bias between professionals.

For a first example, if a player has style A which is weak against style B but strong against style C, that player's performance in any particular country may change slightly depending upon the preponderance of either style relative to it's abundance internationally. For a second example, I believe that a rating system must estimate amongst its members the probability of relative ratings, which is really hard to let be even a little imprecise in a science not exact when players don't compete internationally.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:33 am 
Lives in sente

For an example, weighting international tournament games as twice as heavy as national tournament games may not only have the effect of reducing localisation bias between professionals, but balancing the rating data as a whole.

It might be easier, at least in general, to obtain comprehensive tables of both the main and preliminary stages of international, rather than national, tournaments. Doubling the weighting of international tournament games might minimise any skew that may occur if one is unable to track the entirety of the huge amount of preliminary games for national tournaments.

So the two main possible effects of increased international weighting may be:

1- Reduction of localisation bias.
2- Balancing of value of data between relatively more and less comprehensive international tournament result coverage and more difficult to track national tournament result coverage respectively.

To note, this isn't to imply the terms 'international' and 'national' tournament are strictly defined, but that such a methodology seems to work even with general criteria.