It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is there really a "polite corner" after a 3-4 opening move?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:50 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
I had a discussion with a friend about the "polite corner" after a 3-4 play by black. I did not believe him as there is no symmetry on the board, but he pointed me to this video by Haylee.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMVSrICVz3k

I was shocked about the view by Haylee on this topic :shock:.

I am sure the unpolite way to play is the best answer to the 3-4 stone and ELF agrees with me. I will continue to play this unpolite move for sure :twisted:

What do you think of the "polite way" to play and is this really the opinion of the pros even after the unsymmetrical 3-4 stone?

Attachments:
haylee.jpg
haylee.jpg [ 137.86 KiB | Viewed 4747 times ]

Post subject:
Post #2 Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:55 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
After :b1: on 3-4, all bets are off and it's free.
Quite possibly, over time, even :b1: will be free on any corner --
one thing nice if "everyone," including bots, follow the top right corner for :b1: is we can infer who's sitting where ( for a face-to-face match ), from the kifu alone. I like this part.

( There's no legal requirement -- is there ? -- to offer the right hand in a handshake, but that's the custom; (yes, we're aware of the biological tendencies) caveats: hand dirty, or occupied, or otherwise unavailable, etc. )

My feeling is Go should move toward the more "free" direction.
With caveats, of course. ( E.g. recent discussions about bots use,
and just generic etiquette, like not putting your foot on the table, etc.
But who knows ? Maybe in 500 years, it's perfectly OK to put your foot on the table. Human norms do change. )

This post by EdLee was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, Calvin Clark, Gomoto

Post subject: Re: Is there really a "polite corner" after a 3-4 opening mo
Post #3 Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:05 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
What do you think of the "polite way" to play and is this really the opinion of the pros even after the unsymmetrical 3-4 stone?

What Haylee says is pure twaddle. There are thousands of pro games with a White play in the lower right, starting in Edo times and still very common today. It's necessary to be able to play there otherwise you would be illegally denying White certain arrangements given that Black has broken the symmetry with move 1.

I suspect this view (if it really is widespread) may have derived from two of Shusai's very famous games: his 1926 game with Karigane and his 1938 Retirement Game with Kitani. There Shusai played White 2 at R4 and virtually every one of the many commentaries picked up on that, even using the phrase "Shusai's komoku." It was certainly the move he favoured in his most important games but he did not invent it. It had already been very common throughout Edo times. One other reason interest latched on to it, of course, is that this move was seen as part of a new wave of thinking that led to New Fuseki (its basis was the urge to bypass Shusaku's fuseki).

There was a similar myth about san-san not being allowed by the Honinbo school. Yet both Shuwa and Shusaku played it.

And if it comes to that, while it may be considered polite (nowadays "more photogenic" might be better) to play first in the upper right, it is not at all impolite to play elsewhere - although Kuroda Shunsetsu did famously apologise to Honinbo Shuho in Meiji times, in desperation after losing heavily in match, before playing first move at tengen in their final game. Indeed, this incident may have fuelled the myth about first move in the upper right.

Politenesses about first move did exist, however. There are the early-Edo cases where White (the weaker player) was allowed to play first in games at court with Yasui Sanchi, out of a sense of protocol.

Slightly different, but there is also the case of Kitani who liked to choose his orientation on the board according to how the grain ran. He felt that opponents were psychologically resistant to playing on areas of ugly grain, so he would make his moyo around them.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 3 people: Gomoto, gowan, zac

Post #4 Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 193
Was liked: 83
GD Posts: 56
KGS: hopjesvla
After the symmetry is broken, of course all bets are off. But in all honesty it really does annoy me if black does not open up in the lower triangle of the top right quadrant. There is no strategic value in playing in a rotationally symmetric point, the only advantage you get is annoying your opponent because now they have to mentally rotate all their opening theory reference for no reason.

Of course some may see this as a way to gain a fair competitive advantage and I cannot really prove them wrong, it probably does give a minute advantage against most players. But then there are many things that give small competitive edges (e.g. never resigning even when 100 points behind), and yet I'm glad that most people in the community still have some sense of etiquette about not abusing that kind of stuff to the limit.

When in doubt, play the most aggressive move

Post #5 Posted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
gaius wrote:
After the symmetry is broken, of course all bets are off. But in all honesty it really does annoy me if black does not open up in the lower triangle of the top right quadrant. There is no strategic value in playing in a rotationally symmetric point, the only advantage you get is annoying your opponent because now they have to mentally rotate all their opening theory reference for no reason.

I have seen severl professional game records where black has played 3-5 point on the upper triangle of the top right quadrant, possibly keeping ope the possibilty of completing it to a kogeima shimari.