It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lee Sedol 9p-Yamashita Keigo 9p
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:43 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 568
Was liked: 84
Universal go server handle: WindnWater, Elom
I've wondered for quite a while on what bot's may think of this game.

I put the commentary in below, from which it might be clear why I'm curious (black leads by a lot early on):

Post subject: Re: Lee Sedol 9p-Yamashita Keigo 9p
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:09 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
According to LZ, black is not ahead by "a lot". At move 91, black winrate is only 63%. After the sucessful invasion on the left side, white is ahead

This post by Tryss was liked by: Elom

Post #3 Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:42 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 141
Was liked: 19
Universal go server handle: eyecatcher
i read in the "the style of Lee Sedol" book, that it is typical for his games/style... being behind in the opening/beginning and than winning/catching up anyway by initiating complex middle game fighting

Post #4 Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:44 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 9
thanks for sharing!, all those ko fights so early make me nervous :-|
lee is tenacious, not giving up

Post #5 Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:47 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I could do a LZ review like forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15924 if people are interested.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 3 people: Bill Spight, Elom, le_4TC

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:05 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 134
Was liked: 23
Yamashita's view on the game might be quite interesting.

It looks like one of those terrible setbacks that take you about a month to recover from and regain your self-confidence.

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:07 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 18
alot from pros perspective is a difference of 5-7 points:)

Post #8 Posted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:47 am 
Lives in sente

nasdaq wrote:
thanks for sharing!, all those ko fights so early make me nervous :-|
lee is tenacious, not giving up

Your welcome— commentary from An Youngill 8p, who was prolific with 105 reviews. It's a good thing I collected them all before the site went down.

eyecatcher wrote:
i read in the "the style of Lee Sedol" book, that it is typical for his games/style... being behind in the opening/beginning and than winning/catching up anyway by initiating complex middle game fighting

Yes, one might guess that studying his games simply for his spirit might do wonders alone.

Uberdude wrote:
I could do a LZ review like forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=15924 if people are interested.

Yes please.

Post #9 Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:34 pm 
Judan

The beginnings of an in-depth LZ review plus joseki diversions (2+ hours on the first 15 moves!):

Update: done to move 48.

Attachments:
Lee Yamashita LZ review.sgf [27.95 KiB]
Downloaded 1144 times

This post by Uberdude was liked by 4 people: Bill Spight, dfan, Elom, le_4TC

Post #10 Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:39 am 
Lives in sente

Thanks! This is brilliant :D .

Post #11 Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:12 pm 
Judan

Here's LZ 40 block's winrate graph for the game on 10k playouts (black win at top).
Attachment:
Lee Yamashita winrate annotated.PNG
Lee Yamashita winrate annotated.PNG [ 475.38 KiB | Viewed 11614 times ]

Also I updated the sgf with commentary to move 48.

Post #12 Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:38 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2339
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
Would you be willing to run the same analysis with the current 20-block to compare the win-rate graphs?

Post #13 Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:01 am 
Judan

Sure, here's LZ #162 (20 blocks) on 10k playouts. I suppose I should have used GRP to export the numbers so I can graph them together :-? . Shapes are pretty similar, I think most significant difference is when Yamashita makes big mistake in middlegame and white's winning and then Lee makes smaller mistake back 40b thinks white is still winning plenty whereas 20b thinks it bounced back to a black win for some moves.

Attachment:
Lee Yamashita LZ162 winrate.PNG
Lee Yamashita LZ162 winrate.PNG [ 469.71 KiB | Viewed 11566 times ]

This post by Uberdude was liked by: ez4u

Post #14 Posted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:01 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
We were discussing KataGo's veiw on games from Lee Sedol's commented games volume 1 over here when this game was mentioned.

I ran analysis with Katrain using kata1-b40c256-s10336005120-d2519775087.bin.gz which just happened to be one of the better weights when I downloaded weights and also happened to be b40 instead of a larger network.

I ran 2.5k, 10k and 100k playouts (which took awhile because of all the comments) and the graphs follow.
Attachment:
2500graph.png
2500graph.png [ 54.45 KiB | Viewed 5678 times ]

Attachment:
10000graph.png
10000graph.png [ 53.81 KiB | Viewed 5678 times ]

Attachment:
100000graph.png
100000graph.png [ 54.1 KiB | Viewed 5678 times ]

There is not much difference in the overall picture except that the score and win rate graphs become slightly smoother and the win rate does tend more toward the extremes. There are probably some instances when the score estimate is shifted horizontally, it is a bit hard to tell and I am not going to compare the individual runs.

As for the game overall:

The game is close to error free considering that the players didn't have programs like KataGo to refresh on the more sublime aspects of the game. There are only 10 mistakes that are greater than 1.667 points and many of the larger ones are very hard to understand.

The sets of point losses >=1 point are:
Black: 4.0 3.6 1.9 1.7 1.6 1.6 1.5 1.4 1.4 1.4 1.4 1.2 1.2 1.2 1.1 1.0 Total: 27.2
White: 3.5 2.9 2.7 2.5 2.0 1.7 1.7 1.6 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.4 1.2 1.1 Total: 26.8
So in terms of mistakes the players are only ~0.4 points apart.

To me it is a clear case of "who makes the last mistake loses", I am not sure there is much more to it because this game is very well played and never really far away from even.

As for the review:

It mostly misses the largest errors, I think because these are very hard to call even though KataGo finds them easily. It also says black is ahead for the first part of the game, even when KataGo is claiming a 0.5 game. It praises black with the words "Yamashita plays very well when he takes the lead in the game." At that point black has lost the lead in eyes of KataGo and it is W+0.3. It is tough to compete with KataGo's positional judgment.

Examples of hard to call errors:

Moves 54 - 54. Both are ~3.5 point mistakes. KataGo is going to let white push through the bamboo joint.
My take: This is not Human play.

Moves 106 - 107. OK, white might be timing 106 badly or possibly trying to change the flow. It is a 2.9 point error. KataGo is just going to tenuki and leave 8 stones for a ko that is hard to explain. Black 107 is a 4.0 point error.
My take: 4.0 - 2.9 is 1.1 so black is not making a mistake, he is avoiding complications.

Effectively we could remove some of the largest errors spotted by KataGo from consideration. It seems unrealistic to try to copy KataGo in these cases.

There are a two cases when KataGo completely contradicts the comments. I think the lesson is that if there is a move that you want to make then you really need to try to make it work; that is what KataGo seems to do. KataGo seems to work very hard to make the obvious move work when it "obviously" doesn't work. The two cases:

Move 61: "B really wants to answer at A, but there's no following ko threat for B."
KataGo: "Play A and G18 is my threat."
My take: KataGo is right. G18 doesn't look like a beefy threat but black survives and has that move in the center that we really want.

Move 81: "W can't answer this as W doesn't have any big ko threats."
KataGo: "Just answer."
My take: The commentary is correct. Black becomes too thick in the center if you answer and white can't handle this game then.

I can't say much about the game myself, even having all the aid from KataGo, it is just too complicated and too well played. I think the commentary is good and my feeling is that it is not meant to be a very objective analysis that dives deep but more as a guide to help people follow along. It is educational and fun, even if in my opinion (now biased by looking at the game in Katrain) it exaggerates black's advantage in the early game.

I might consider adding diagrams if there is demand, they are usually tedious to make. It could also be interesting to go into how black should have handled the invasion on move 119.

This post by kvasir was liked by: Elom0

Post #15 Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:47 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
kvasir wrote:
We were discussing KataGo's veiw on games from Lee Sedol's commented games volume 1 over here when this game was mentioned.

I ran analysis with Katrain using kata1-b40c256-s10336005120-d2519775087.bin.gz which just happened to be one of the better weights when I downloaded weights and also happened to be b40 instead of a larger network.

I ran 2.5k, 10k and 100k playouts (which took awhile because of all the comments) and the graphs follow.
Attachment:
2500graph.png

Attachment:
10000graph.png

Attachment:
100000graph.png

There is not much difference in the overall picture except that the score and win rate graphs become slightly smoother and the win rate does tend more toward the extremes. There are probably some instances when the score estimate is shifted horizontally, it is a bit hard to tell and I am not going to compare the individual runs.

As for the game overall:

The game is close to error free considering that the players didn't have programs like KataGo to refresh on the more sublime aspects of the game. There are only 10 mistakes that are greater than 1.667 points and many of the larger ones are very hard to understand.

The sets of point losses >=1 point are:
Black: 4.0 3.6 1.9 1.7 1.6 1.6 1.5 1.4 1.4 1.4 1.4 1.2 1.2 1.2 1.1 1.0 Total: 27.2
White: 3.5 2.9 2.7 2.5 2.0 1.7 1.7 1.6 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.4 1.2 1.1 Total: 26.8
So in terms of mistakes the players are only ~0.4 points apart.

To me it is a clear case of "who makes the last mistake loses", I am not sure there is much more to it because this game is very well played and never really far away from even.

As for the review:

It mostly misses the largest errors, I think because these are very hard to call even though KataGo finds them easily. It also says black is ahead for the first part of the game, even when KataGo is claiming a 0.5 game. It praises black with the words "Yamashita plays very well when he takes the lead in the game." At that point black has lost the lead in eyes of KataGo and it is W+0.3. It is tough to compete with KataGo's positional judgment.

Examples of hard to call errors:

Moves 54 - 54. Both are ~3.5 point mistakes. KataGo is going to let white push through the bamboo joint.
My take: This is not Human play.

Moves 106 - 107. OK, white might be timing 106 badly or possibly trying to change the flow. It is a 2.9 point error. KataGo is just going to tenuki and leave 8 stones for a ko that is hard to explain. Black 107 is a 4.0 point error.
My take: 4.0 - 2.9 is 1.1 so black is not making a mistake, he is avoiding complications.

Effectively we could remove some of the largest errors spotted by KataGo from consideration. It seems unrealistic to try to copy KataGo in these cases.

There are a two cases when KataGo completely contradicts the comments. I think the lesson is that if there is a move that you want to make then you really need to try to make it work; that is what KataGo seems to do. KataGo seems to work very hard to make the obvious move work when it "obviously" doesn't work. The two cases:

Move 61: "B really wants to answer at A, but there's no following ko threat for B."
KataGo: "Play A and G18 is my threat."
My take: KataGo is right. G18 doesn't look like a beefy threat but black survives and has that move in the center that we really want.

Move 81: "W can't answer this as W doesn't have any big ko threats."
KataGo: "Just answer."
My take: The commentary is correct. Black becomes too thick in the center if you answer and white can't handle this game then.

I can't say much about the game myself, even having all the aid from KataGo, it is just too complicated and too well played. I think the commentary is good and my feeling is that it is not meant to be a very objective analysis that dives deep but more as a guide to help people follow along. It is educational and fun, even if in my opinion (now biased by looking at the game in Katrain) it exaggerates black's advantage in the early game.

I might consider adding diagrams if there is demand, they are usually tedious to make. It could also be interesting to go into how black should have handled the invasion on move 119.

Wow this is amazing :bow:!

Post #16 Posted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:02 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Move 117 and Move 129 where the group of moves that I was most curious about second only to the mysterious way in which black seemed to pull ahead initially, since :b1: :b17: and :b1: :b29: but Uberdude didn't get to showing their specific winrates with Leela, I was too shy then to ask, Lol :lol: . . .