It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Takagawa Kaku vs Go Seigen
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:09 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
I was reading a book review for a John Fairbairn book that appears to be out of print "The Final Summit." It details Go Seigen's last Jubango with Takagawa Kaku. In this review it said that Takagawa commented that he thought Go was going easy on him. I find this odd as Takagawa was one of the best if not the best Japanese professional at this time. Why would Go have gone soft on him?

Also in later organized multi-matches Takagawa would go on to beat Go. Anyone have some insight into this topic?

Post subject: Re: Takagawa Kaku vs Go Seigen
Post #2 Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 416
Was liked: 198
Chono wrote:
I was reading a book review for a John Fairbairn book that appears to be out of print "The Final Summit." It details Go Seigen's last Jubango with Takagawa Kaku. In this review it said that Takagawa commented that he thought Go was going easy on him. I find this odd as Takagawa was one of the best if not the best Japanese professional at this time. Why would Go have gone soft on him?

Also in later organized multi-matches Takagawa would go on to beat Go. Anyone have some insight into this topic?

Go Seigen was basically giving handicap and beating the rest of the top players in Japan while he was in top shape, he was just on a different level then everyone else. This lasted for a while, enough to make him a legend.

After 1961, when he had a motorcycle accident and his health was affected, he was not able to play at the same level anymore, then others caught up with him.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:11 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Also I don't know if Final Summit is out of print, but some Go bookshops have it in stock, and at the bargain price of €15: https://www.schaakengo.nl/goshop-keima/ ... -fairbairn

Post #4 Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:31 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
Seems like go pros have a lot of issues with vehicles, like Cho Chikun

Takagawa beat Go in a 3 game match in 1959. Maybe Go was that much better, but I don't think he would have wanted to lose just for the fun of it.

Thank you uber for the link, I am a fan of this flowing water style so I enjoy studying Honinbo Shuei, Takagawa, and Lee Changho. Hopefully I can still purchase this book.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:19 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Chono wrote:
Takagawa beat Go in a 3 game match in 1959. Maybe Go was that much better, but I don't think he would have wanted to lose just for the fun of it.

Honinbo had been a "hereditary" title (by adoption) as the head of the oldest and most prestigious of the go houses. As I have heard, Go Seigen was not happy with the Nihon Kiin instituting the Honinbo tournament. At some point (I don't know when) the winner of the Honinbo tournament would play a 3 game match against Go Seigen. Go Seigen always won that match, until the match vs. Takagawa in 1959. There was a controversy about the final game in that match. See https://senseis.xmp.net/?RuleDisputesInvolvingGoSeigen

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: sorin