It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 40  Next

Who will win?
EGF pros 69%  69%  [ 40 ]
AGA pros 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
Don't know 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: Re: EGF vs AGA pros win-and-continue match
Post #301 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:17 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Maybe we can take a break from this to appreciate that both EGF and AGA pros are currently playing in the IMSA event in China, and Ryan Li just played a great game against Japanese Judan title holder Murukawa Daisuke, though unfortunately he stumbled at the end: viewtopic.php?p=243993#p243993.

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, gowan

Post #302 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:18 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I sympathize with Surma, because a loss on time was not the decision I'd have preferred.

I think it's also a poor choice to write a Facebook post before the official decision was announced, even assuming every word he wrote was true. It would have been appropriate to let there be a joint statement, or failing that, official statements from each team.

This post by hyperpape was liked by: yakcyll

Post #303 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:22 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Uberdude wrote:
Referee (in)decision: Mateusz lost on time

Information about the 4th game... I lost by time. This is the final decision.

I haven't seen any official announcement of this yet, on the AGA page, the EGF page, or the tournament page.

It is quite possible that there is a language problem here. Or someone could have hacked/impersonated Surma.

I urge that everyone wait for an official announcement. ( There could be a fourth ruling :-? )

Post #304 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:31 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
HKA wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:
We, amateurs, can take consolation in the fact that meeting obnoxious trolls online is not a privilege of mediocrity.

Your level of tolerance for bad behavior online must be far lower than mine.

Essentially, your position is that Eric Lui is an "obnoxious troll".

I missed that part of what Knotwilg said.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: Bonobo

Post #305 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:47 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
HKA wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:
We, amateurs, can take consolation in the fact that meeting obnoxious trolls online is not a privilege of mediocrity.

Essentially, your position is that Eric Lui is an "obnoxious troll".

Cannot we agree that two players of good and unblemished standing and strong fighting spirit have been put in a truly unfortunate position?

I could, until I learnt the American team complained about the decision to resume the game where it was unfortunately stopped by conditions outside either control.

With "meeting obnoxious trolls online is not a privilege of mediocrity" I meant that, the experience of losing a game due to people taking advantage of deficiencies in the playing system, is apparently not restricted to us, amateurs. Whether Eric or Mateusz is the troll here, I leave for anyone to decide. Mateusz may have lied and actually carelessly lost on time, after which he tried to take advantage of the system to still get an undeserved win. Or Eric may have realized Mateusz was speaking the truth, but thought he could still squeeze a win out of the situation.

There is unfortunately no middle ground. Either Mateusz lied or he didn't.

This post by Knotwilg was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #306 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:06 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Even if Mateusz is not lying, in the absence of a lag policy, it is subjective to assume this implies he won.

Post #307 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:09 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 33
I really hope the referee didnt actually change his mind twice in a row, and in both cases to benefit the AGA (while also being connected to the aga and aga pro system if i havent misunderstood?).

First decision to restart play sounds logical and something that would happen in any pro tournament when outside circumstances outside the players control intervene.

Replay the game after AGA protest.. ok.. fine, i can understand. I dont agree, but i can understand.

And then directly changing the result to a EGF loss after an EGF protest.. what the ****?

How did that happen?

(And no, the player cant control how their packets are routed around the world.. thats not how the internet works)

Last edited by Aram on Tue May 14, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Aram was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #308 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:11 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 144
GD Posts: 720
Knotwilg wrote:

And when it comes to tournament policy, it is generally a poor decision to take a competitor at their word, especially to overturn a game result.

Post #309 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:16 am 
Dies in gote

Violence wrote:
Knotwilg wrote:

And when it comes to tournament policy, it is generally a poor decision to take a competitor at their word, especially to overturn a game result.

Rather good then that apparantly two proctors at the location to monitor no cheating can confirm it was due to lag?

This post by Aram was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, Charlie, Javaness2, Joaz Banbeck

Post #310 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:19 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
I urge that everyone wait for an official announcement.

:lol:

Post #311 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:29 am 
Judan

dfan wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:

There may be some lag.

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by 4 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, silk, xed_over

Post #312 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:31 am 
Dies in gote

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
dfan wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:

There may be some lag.

And who knows, maybe we will also see some changes to the content of it later on.

Post #313 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 11:56 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 144
GD Posts: 720
Aram wrote:
Rather good then that apparantly two proctors at the location to monitor no cheating can confirm it was due to lag?

From my understanding, that was not their role in the tournament, their job was not to keep local time. If that's a role we would like them to have going forward, I do think that changing the rules and their role responsibility is a good idea, but for this situation, taking their word when timekeeping isn't their purpose doesn't seem, at least to me, like a good idea either.

I still would like to hear from the referee to get their reasoning as to why the decisions changed so many times, and why they came to this final decision, but my stance is still that if you want to accept player and eyewitness accounts to overturn the result of the game, that has to be written into policy first, not come up with as a solution when one player objects to the result.

This post by Violence was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #314 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:05 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 165
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: yakcyll
One thing that Mateusz's post has brought us for sure is people jumping to conclusions and adding fuel to the fire by sharing gossip. A lot of people are saying how unprofessional it is for the referee to change his mind multiple times, but he has not made his mind up yet, otherwise we'd see evidence to the contrary coming from them in person. Judging from experience up until now, it seems that it's better to observe and wait rather than speculate; the latter helps nobody.

Post #315 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:17 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
I agree that no one came out of this looking good, but there doesn't have to be a bad guy. Certainly not an obnoxious troll.

Post #316 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:18 pm 
Dies in gote

Violence wrote:
Aram wrote:

From my understanding, that was not their role in the tournament, their job was not to keep local time. If that's a role we would like them to have going forward, I do think that changing the rules and their role responsibility is a good idea, but for this situation, taking their word when timekeeping isn't their purpose doesn't seem, at least to me, like a good idea either.

I still would like to hear from the referee to get their reasoning as to why the decisions changed so many times, and why they came to this final decision, but my stance is still that if you want to accept player and eyewitness accounts to overturn the result of the game, that has to be written into policy first, not come up with as a solution when one player objects to the result.

Are you seriously suggesting you can not trust two individual persons whos job was to constantly monitor the game on-site to make sure that no cheating happened?
You do realize that to monitor the "no cheating with bots" they have to constantly watch the screen and as such would also be aware of time, specially since there was 10 seconds remaining...
You seriously think that the player played at 10 seconds and didnt say a single word or swearword when the move was not registering?

If you cant trust the two people monitoring the "no bot cheating" then throw all the results out of the window and cancel the tournament, since in that case you couldnt trust them on bot monitoring either...

This post by Aram was liked by 5 people: Bantari, daal, Javaness2, Joaz Banbeck, silk

Post #317 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:23 pm 
Judan

Mateusz Surma on facebook wrote:
...three players from the AGA pros team (William Gansheng Shi, Calvin Sun and Eric Lui) made an official protest - in their opinion I should lose by time. They wrote that the proctor's job is only to check if the player doesn't cheat.

Assuming that Surma's recollection is informed and accurate...

EDIT: *** I removed the rest of this post, because I'm starting to have doubts about the accuracy of Serma's post. It has been in the wild for 7+ hours, and neither the AGA nor the EGF has confirmed it.
There have been posts on other sites refuting parts of it. ***

Post #318 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:45 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Violence wrote:

Yes, their role is not to check the time. They are though a trustworthy person who is there to attest that no cheating went on. When you have an incident, you generally get the opinion of both players, then find out if anybody else saw something. Here you have 2 witnesses who are supposedly reliable. It isn't a question of policy for me, it is a question of standard refereeing practice. Anyway... we have 1 side of the story from Facebook, we have to wait for the other side.

From reading Reddit I seem to have the impression that part of the refereeing team was absent at the crucial moment. That's sad +2. A protest from the NA side was perfectly natural. For me that big delay in making an initial decision only adds to the merit of choosing a rematch as the best solution.

Post #319 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:02 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 65
Was liked: 340
GD Posts: 2428
Aram wrote:
Are you seriously suggesting you can not trust two individual persons whos job was to constantly monitor the game on-site to make sure that no cheating happened?
You do realize that to monitor the "no cheating with bots" they have to constantly watch the screen and as such would also be aware of time, specially since there was 10 seconds remaining...
You seriously think that the player played at 10 seconds and didnt say a single word or swearword when the move was not registering?

If you cant trust the two people monitoring the "no bot cheating" then throw all the results out of the window and cancel the tournament, since in that case you couldnt trust them on bot monitoring either...

I am not in any way disputing what Mr. Surma and his proctor, or proctors said. I can confirm that the proctor is not responsible for monitoring the clock, simply to prevent cheating and maintain communications with the broadcast team. It seems to me you could provide that function from the other side of the room. From a distance, without getting in the players space, you can make sure he is not looking at anything or cheating, but not be able to see his time remaining.

Now, that does not mean that Mr. Surma's proctor's did not see what they said they saw, but you are incorrect to maintain that you could not properly proctor the match without seeing Mr. Surma's clock.

This post by HKA was liked by: yakcyll

Post #320 Posted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:51 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 50
Violence wrote:

It seems there were no rules regarding lags.
In case we are in a situation of a lack of rules, we are in a somewhat unfortunate situation. Therefore we should accept any provisional means, including any trustworthy witnesses.

(Still we are theoreticizing, we don't know what happened exactly and what kind of rules/agreements sides agreed on)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 40  Next