It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 40  Next

Who will win?
EGF pros 69%  69%  [ 40 ]
AGA pros 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
Don't know 9%  9%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: Re: EGF vs AGA pros win-and-continue match
Post #361 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:46 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
It would be interesting to know if both teams flat out refused a rematch. Such an impasse might explain the final change. Certainly, I don't see anything else that does.

Post #362 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:56 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 89
Javaness2 wrote:
It would be interesting to know if both teams flat out refused a rematch. Such an impasse might explain the final change. Certainly, I don't see anything else that does.

But rematch would be a stupidest idea in this stupidity fair.
If they played it under same rules, what would change?

Post #363 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:02 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
Bojanic wrote:
Javaness2 wrote:

But rematch would be a stupidest idea in this stupidity fair.
If they played it under same rules, what would change?

It's not that stupid if you preface it with "We apologize for not having proper rules in place at the start of this event. From now on, these are the rules that we will use." I think it is quite diplomatic that way.

This post by Javaness2 was liked by 2 people: yakcyll, zermelo

Post #364 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:31 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 50
yakcyll wrote:
Renter wrote:
Let this sink in: The tournament organizers are basically saying that if you do not after EACH AND EVERY lag spike inform the TOs of it, they will use that fact against you.
That's a strawman. Has anybody aside from Mateusz known that he had connectivity issues in previous games? Do you really think nobody would react and help him out if he had mentioned it the first time around, before a loss occurred because of it?

How could they react and help him? Do you think they would leave KGS and choose another server because of a 3-second lag? Did they do it now, after a 10-second lag?
It looks no measures that would cope with lags were taken now, even after one game was lost due to a 10-second lag.

(Moreover, if Mateusz reclaimed that loss of a period due to a 3-second lag, the referee would ask him whether he had another lag before. If Mateusz acknowledged he had some half-second lags before, it might end for him by another game lost by a refereee decision. ;-) )

So far it looks the message from the referee is
  • in case of lag problems you must inform us so that we can react
  • now we are informed, and we won't react

But I may be mistaken, and they will play next game with real boards and clocks, and proctors will send moves to KGS?

edit: clock->clocks

Last edited by k0n0 on Wed May 15, 2019 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by k0n0 was liked by: Knotwilg

Post #365 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:13 am 
Lives with ko

k0n0 wrote:
But I may be mistaken, and they will play next game with real boards and clock, and proctors will send moves to KGS?

Finally a good idea.

Post #366 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:14 am 
Lives with ko

While trying to send previous reply:

Quote:
This site can’t be reached www.lifein19x19.com took too long to respond.
Try:

Checking the connection
Checking the proxy and the firewall
Running Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Lag appears in topic about lag, showing off now, obviously.

Post #367 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:15 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
Bill Spight wrote:
Bojanic wrote:
PS for european side, I would demand that next year match is to be played at KGS (Kazan Go Server), so other team could experience same difficulties.

As someone on neither side, I would recommend having time kept locally, offline.

That would be either impractical or open even bigger can of worms. You either have smart client on players computer open for tinkering and fooling the server(there's reason why dumb clients are default...Smart clients can be tinkered and there's then no way for server to verify. In effect player could give himself more byo-yomi than assigned time and server would get moves correct times) OR you have to go for heavy duty. Private custom client with own servers installed on (laptop) computers which are delivered for the game by 3rd party for players and never left alone with players to ensure they don't install any hacks. Preferably with firewall preventing access to anything but relevant addresses for game.

Do you think that's feasible? But as it is only way to play for big prize pools online clearly. As is this is not appropriate for prize pools when server lag players can't control can decide fate of that money.

Post #368 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:21 am 
Beginner

Kirby wrote:
Presumably, when Mateusz was contesting the repeal, it became clear that the repeated lag on his end was something that he knew about before it was game deciding - and maybe if it had been brought up prior to game #4, they could have worked together to come to a way to mitigate the lag problem (or maybe clarify what should happen in the case of lag).

I should be clear, I know nothing about the reasoning behind Myungwan's decision - I'm simply reading what was given on the FB page.

Of course only way they could do something to that would be fly them to same place and play it live rather than online.

Online go seems to be failure for big real money tournaments and more of for fame and fun.

Post #369 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:24 am 
Beginner

jlt wrote:
Quote:
- Mateusz was aware of the technical issue for some time, but never reported the issue to the tournament organizers

Now the organizers are aware of a lag problem in Kazan. What will happen if another player (e.g. Ilya Shikshin) plays from there?

Kazan? Howabout finland on various sites. Happens to me as well. It's not just Kazan. It's INTERNET. Lag is quaranteed period. Whole TCP protocol is built on assumptions packets WILL be lost and built so that they will get through no matter how long it takes. Because delays and packet losses are 100% quaranteed part of internet. There is no way to ensure those will never happen.

This post by tneva82 was liked by 2 people: Bill Spight, Joaz Banbeck

Post #370 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:32 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 491
One way to reduce the costs could be:

• Play a few rounds online, but each side uses a real board and a real clock, the proctor relays moves on KGS.
  • For the final rounds, use an international event (e.g. IMSA) that most players attend to anyway, and stay 2-3 more days.

tneva82 wrote:
Kazan? Howabout finland on various sites. Happens to me as well. It's not just Kazan. It's INTERNET.

I know, I should have said "at least in Kazan there is a serious lag problem which may cause delays of more than 10 seconds".

Post #371 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:58 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Javaness2 wrote:
Quote:
What does his ruling hold for future games, what does it mean?

Players should call the referee or TD when an irregularity has occurred, to protect themselves.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #372 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:01 am 
Honinbo

jlt wrote:
tneva82 wrote:
Kazan? Howabout finland on various sites. Happens to me as well. It's not just Kazan. It's INTERNET.

I know, I should have said "at least in Kazan there is a serious lag problem which may cause delays of more than 10 seconds".

I live in a major metropolitan area in the US, and I regularly get a message saying, "You are not connected to the internet." It can take minutes to reconnect.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #373 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:26 am 
Dies in gote

Bill Spight wrote:
Players should call the referee or TD when an irregularity has occurred, to protect themselves.
The question is: what is an irregularity?

The text "to protect themselves" indicates "irregularities" might be regarded from the point of view of players.
From the point of view of Mateusz a 3s-lag wasn't irregular, and Mateusz got accustomed with it, by playing at least 10s in advance.
Only the 10s-lag was irregular, and he reported it.

Still the verdict is blaming Mateusz.
So it looks in the verdict they speak rather about general KGS/internet irregularities. But lags are quite regular with both internet and KGS.

Post #374 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:26 am 
Honinbo

tneva82 wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:
Bojanic wrote:
PS for european side, I would demand that next year match is to be played at KGS (Kazan Go Server), so other team could experience same difficulties.

As someone on neither side, I would recommend having time kept locally, offline.

That would be either impractical or open even bigger can of worms. You either have smart client on players computer open for tinkering and fooling the server(there's reason why dumb clients are default...Smart clients can be tinkered and there's then no way for server to verify. In effect player could give himself more byo-yomi than assigned time and server would get moves correct times) OR you have to go for heavy duty. Private custom client with own servers installed on (laptop) computers which are delivered for the game by 3rd party for players and never left alone with players to ensure they don't install any hacks. Preferably with firewall preventing access to anything but relevant addresses for game.

Do you think that's feasible? But as it is only way to play for big prize pools online clearly. As is this is not appropriate for prize pools when server lag players can't control can decide fate of that money.

For this particular tournament, with one player playing locally, you can have the player using a real board with a clock, while a proctor relays the plays online, plays the opponent's stones, and keeps the time record offline. The proctor may also count byoyomi, just like in the old days. ;)

As for large tournaments with several players in one location at any time, perhaps they could play on a local network, with the local server keeping time and relaying plays to and from the internet. The organizers would be responsible for the integrity and security of the local server.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #375 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 5:42 am 
Honinbo

k0n0 wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

The text "to protect themselves" indicates "irregularities" might be regarded from the point of view of players.

Better safe than sorry.

Quote:
From the point of view of Mateusz a 3s-lag wasn't irregular, and Mateusz got accustomed with it, by playing at least 10s in advance.

I sympathize. I do. IMO the netlag problem was known by the organizers and not his responsibility to report. But any net lag is, in terms of keeping an accurate record of time usage, an irregularity. Certainly a 3 second lag is significant.

Quote:

Yes. I blame the organizers for using KGS to keep the time record.

Visualize whirled peas.

Post #376 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:33 am 
Oza

Liked others: 359
Was liked: 1019
KGS: Artevelde
OGS: Knotwilg
Online playing schedule: UTC 18:00 - 22:00
Bill Spight wrote:
k0n0 wrote:
Bill Spight wrote:

Better safe than sorry.

Quote:

I sympathize. I do. IMO the netlag problem was known by the organizers and not his responsibility to report. But any net lag is, in terms of keeping an accurate record of time usage, an irregularity. Certainly a 3 second lag is significant.

Quote:

Yes. I blame the organizers for using KGS to keep the time record.

Although contrived, we can think of many irregularities in face to face play:

1. A player observes that his clock is rusty and when he pushes, it takes a few attempts to push through. It's mildly irritating but no big deal. This can happen in multiple games of one player, or across a few players. They may report the nuisance or not. At one point some player tries to push and the damn thing won't. Would he lose on time for failure to report on prior nuisance?
2. A player observes that the opponent is putting his stones not quite on the intersection. But from the logic of the game, the intention is pretty clear. Occasionally the player (subject) moves the opponent's stones a few inches to get them spot on. A nuisance but nothing worthy of reporting. Then the opponent claims his stone is actually on the adjacent intersection in a vital capturing race. The subject loses the capturing race, because he failed to report the earlier nuisance
3. A kid walks about the tournament hall and bumps into the table, twice. No harm done, just a nuisance. Then the third bump pushes a few stones off the table. The opponent claims they were never there. The subject loses, with aggravating argument that he didn't report the earlier nuisance.

Are these all cases of "better safe than sorry"? What would the organizers have done if the subject had reported the nuisance? Is the player observing any kind of nuisance fully responsible for the eventual result? And is an unobserving player protected from the loss by his lack of observance?

This post by Knotwilg was liked by 2 people: Charlie, silk

Post #377 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 6:37 am 
Dies in gote

A good point is this:

What if during the Game a whole team of pro players enter in Mateusz room and recommend assist him during all the Game? The proctor has nothing to do because the rules specify he is there just for AI? ....oh well , a well deserved win for the USA team.

Post #378 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:00 am 
Dies in gote

Knotwilg wrote:
Although contrived, we can think of many irregularities in face to face play:
1. A player observes that his clock is rusty...
2. A player observes that the opponent is putting his stones not quite on the intersection...
3. A kid walks about the tournament hall and bumps into the table
IMO these examples are different, because there may be a remedy action taken by the organizers: the clock may be replaced, opponent asked to place stones better, a kid kicked out of the room.

Contrariwise, I don't think Mateusz could expect any real action which would prevent the 10-s lag.

So, there is a contradiction between
  • the Mateusz's solution, which was naturally right, but formally questionable
  • the (rather rigid) formalism of the referee

:) It is a useful lesson for Mateusz: in legal affairs and in go disputes, natural logic may be surpassed by formalism.

edit: I said "may be surpassed" intentionally. Referees decided naturally in the case of "four passes" where one player captured all opponent's stones in his own territory, and then claimed stones in opponent's territory were living stones.
Anyway I agree with Bill's "better safe than sorry".

Post #379 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:41 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 41
In most legal systems, a case A vs. B where A complains about a decision and B does not, the result would be either to keep the decision or to change it to A's favour, not to change it to B's favour. In this case it was changed to B's favour.

Post #380 Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 7:43 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Had Mateusz reported the lag earlier, a proactive decision could have been made. Perhaps they would have stated that in the event of a disconnection the game would be resumed, and/or that the proctor's job requires monitoring the times. I suspect that in that circumstance, there would be fewer recriminations.

The fact that I think the referee shouldn't have decided as he did is all the more reason that we should avoid creating a situation where the referee must decide after the fact.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 40  Next