Life In 19x19
https://lifein19x19.com/

A Tengen Triumph
https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16426
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Elom [ Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:49 am ]
Post subject:  A Tengen Triumph

Fujisawa Rina 4p has set a new record that will hold for all time. She defeated Takahashi Masumi 3p in the first round of Tengen Tournament, a feat as of yet unachieved by the nine other female entrants into the main rounds or leagues of the big seven.

Author:  Elom [ Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Tengen Triumph

The first female player to enter the main rounds of a big seven tournament was none other than the older sister of Sugiuchi Kazuko 8p, Honda Sachiko 7p

On a similar note, I heard that Choi Jeong aims to emulate Rui 9p's international performance. Although there are more professionals today. . .

Author:  John Fairbairn [ Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:53 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Tengen Triumph

Quote:
none other than the older sister of Sugiuchi Kazuko 8p, Honda Sachiko 7p


Sachiko was born in 1930, Kazuko in 1927 (and Teruko in 1939).

Author:  macelee [ Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Tengen Triumph

Elom wrote:
Fujisawa Rina 4p has set a new record that will hold for all time. She defeated Takahashi Masumi 3p in the first round of Tengen Tournament, a feat as of yet unachieved by the nine other female entrants into the main rounds or leagues of the big seven.


Fujisawa is ~250 points higher than her opponent on goratings. So she's likely to have a comfortable win.

Author:  Elom [ Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Tengen Triumph

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
none other than the older sister of Sugiuchi Kazuko 8p, Honda Sachiko 7p


Sachiko was born in 1930, Kazuko in 1927 (and Teruko in 1939).


Thank you, and my apologies :salute:.

The Nihon Kiin reports that it's the first time a female professional has won in the main rounds of the big seven (you might say qualifying here is a good showing on the part of Tamahashi, as well as those of Hon Sakiyoshi and Tanaguchi Toru 2p and 3p respectively). But Fujisawa's next opponent is perhaps more familiar with the Tengen's later stages. . .

Another note is that with Mrs Suguichi's performance, we may see a match one day between Suguichi Sensei and Fujisawa 4p.

It would be splendid if anyone had some tidbits on Ms Honda's initial victory. . .

2019-02-12 edit: Ms Honda's initial victory, Nihon Kiin

Author:  John Fairbairn [ Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Tengen Triumph

Quote:
Another note is that with Mrs Suguichi's performance, we may see a match one day between Suguichi Sensei and Fujisawa 4p.


They have already played once (in 2013) and Rina won. The really exciting thing, I would say, is that Rina has a real rival now (assuming, ungallantly no doubt) that Xie Yimin is past her peak). Ueno Asami just beat her to defend her title in the Women's Kisei, taking the score between them to 3-2 in Asami's favour. Asami also has the edge in age, being three years younger. History shows that close rivals tend to make each other stronger.

And waiting in the wings is little Nakamura Sumire, whose jigo with Black in an even game (White giving 6 komi) with Cho U last year has just been plastered all over Go Weekly. I see they are already calling her Nakamura 1-dan even though she's not supposed to be that until April. The game is accompanied by an absolutely magical picture of her standing next to Ichiriki Ryo (the commentator) - she only just reaches the level of his belly button!

For others, the record-breaking event Elom is referring to is that Rina is the first to WIN a game in the finals of the Big 7. Counting her, 10 women have previously reached the final stages. The Tengen is the easiest one to reach in that the final stages encompass 32 players, but still you could say that that puts Rina in the top 16 now. She has already beaten quite a decent range of men, including no less than Takao Shinji twice (and also Rui Naiwei among the women). Ueno Asami, although still with less experience of matchplay, has also been a mote in the eye for several men, including such luminaries as Yo Kagen (and she too has seen off Rui Naiwei). Incidentally, both Rina and Asami have also beaten DeepZen. It would be fascinating to know whether these and other youngsters, presumably still very receptive to new patterns, are seeing things in bot play that the older pros are missing.

Author:  Elom [ Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Tengen Triumph

Her next opponent is Sakai Hideyuki 8p

It's a tough match but who knows ;-).

Author:  Elom [ Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Tengen Triumph

Well, they are only different by 50 points on goratings.

Author:  Elom [ Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: A Tengen Triumph

macelee wrote:
Elom wrote:
Fujisawa Rina 4p has set a new record that will hold for all time. She defeated Takahashi Masumi 3p in the first round of Tengen Tournament, a feat as of yet unachieved by the nine other female entrants into the main rounds or leagues of the big seven.


Fujisawa is ~250 points higher than her opponent on goratings. So she's likely to have a comfortable win.


She suddenly moved up quite quickly into the top 50. Ke Jie rose similarly (but in a more acute fashion).

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/