It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Following Nakamura Sumire
Post #321 Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:45 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
John Fairbairn wrote:
I'll answer this one, but it will be the last time. I'm sick of the self-flagellation that is required to try and keep some life in this dying forum, and so in future, unless there is some miraculous recovery of the patient, I will limit myself to announcements.

Yes, quite a loss. I am new to this forum and appreciate your knowledge. So for what it's worth, I thank you.

Today Sumire played (and won) the last game of the prelims in the 60 Judan against Nakane Naoyuki 9p. From what I could see, all other games of the prelims were played long ago. Maybe it was because of Sumire's schedule, school life or because it was played in Nagoya, but it was delayed for several weeks/days. Also... Naoyuki has a life and a career too. This said, the next step is the preliminary tournament A, with tough opponents, like the Kisei.

Why all preliminary tournaments have "preliminary" in their name, I don't know.

Post #322 Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:34 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 176
Was liked: 488
I think that John regrets that there is not much discussion going on here, and the forum is often a superposition of monologues.

On the other hand, I also appreciate him very much, and I also appreciate to read contributions of other forum members, so I wouldn't say the forum is dead; it is at least alive by seki.

Post #323 Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:51 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
Sumire lost to Ryoya Takeshita (1p, 16yrs) on June 10 in Gosei 47 prelims.

May games:
    1. Defeated Torii TORII, Yuta (3p) on 5/6 in Kisei prelims. Huge win, made it to a main major tournament for the first time.
    2. Defeated Nyu Eiko (3p) on May 9 in 2nd round of Female Honimbo 40.
    3. Defeated HORIMOTO, Mitsunari (5p) in Judan 60 prelims on May 13. Big win
    4. Lost to Komatsu Hideki (9p) on May 20 in Meiji prelims
    5. Lost to Mizokami Tomochika(9d) on May 27 in Kisei 46 C league

June games:
    1. Defeated Naoyuki Nakane (9p, 48) in Judan 60 prelims B. Made it to the next stage of Judan prelims for the first time.
    2. Lost to Lost to Ryoya Takeshita (1p, 16yrs) on June 10 in Gosei 47 prelims.

Here is a summary of all her tournaments (she is out of tournaments with black names). She is still active in tournaments with red names:

Majors tournaments (eligible for prize money rule and promotion by wins):
    Kisei 46 - Defeated Ha Youngil (6p, 35 years old, rating 3040, #530) on Feb 4, 2021, Tajima Shingo (但馬 慎吾, 6p, 2879, #805) on March 11, Hara Masakazu (原 正和 3p, 23 yrs, 3059, #495) on Apr 14 and TORII, Yuta (3p, 28yrs, 2964, #668) in last game of prelims on May 6, 2021 to make it to C league. Lost to Mizokami Tomochika(9d) on May 27 in 1st round of C league.
    Meijin 47 - Defeated Okada Yumiko 6p on Apr 5, 2021 and NOBUTA, Shigehito (信田 成仁六段 6p, 60 yrs) on Apr 22. Lost to Hideki Komatsu (9p) on May 20, 2021. See Tokyo 16 in https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/meijin/047.html. Meijin 48 should start Apr 2022.
    Honimbo 77 - eliminated on Dec 3, 2020. Honimbo 78 should start around Oct 2021?.
    Oza 70 - Will play Endo, Yoshifumi (8p) in 1st round of prelims. Oza 71 should start in May 2022
    Tengen 48 - Will play Atti Tormanen (1p) in 1st round. See Tokyo 23 https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/tengen/048.html
    Gosei 47 - Defeated Rafif Shidqi Fitrah (フィトラRS, 1p, 18 yrs) in first round of qualifying on March 29. Lost to Ryoya Takeshita (竹下 凌矢) 1p on June 10, 2021 so she is out of Gosei 47. See Tokyo 4. Gosei 48 should start March 2022.
    Judan 60 - defeated Minematsu Matsaki (6p, 2698, 57yr old) in first round of qualifying C on Jan 21, 2021, SAKAGUCHI, Ryuzo, 9p on Apr 15, GOTO, Shungo (8p, 2979, #645) on Apr 29, HORIMOTO, Mitsunari (5p, 31yrs, 3037) on May 13 and Naoyuki Nakane (9p, 48yrs, 2940) on June 3, 2021 to make it out of prelims B & C. Will play MURAMOTO, Wataru (3p, 24 yrs) in first round of prelims A. See Chubu frame 8 https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/jyudan/060.html

Mixed tournaments counting towards promotion by wins:
    • Kiryama (aka Agon) 28 - defeated Yasufumi Tahara (7p, 46yrs, 2714, #1000) on Mar 1st and MATSUBARA Taisei (6p, 49yrs, 2772, #948) on Mar 15 but lost to Koyama Kuya (4p, 24 yrs, 3171, #332) that same day. So she is out of Kiryama 28. Kiryama 29 should start Feb 2022.
    • Ryusei 30 - Defeated Araki Issei 4P on June 29, 2020 in final of prelim B. Lost to Nakano Shoya 1p in Prelim A. Ryusei 31 should start in April-Jun 2021?
    • Hiroshima 15 (Young Carp). Eliminated in Nov 2020. Hiroshima 16 should start Sept 2021.
    • Okage (Thanks Cup) 11 - eliminated on Apr 6, 2020 by Xie Yimmin. Okage 12 should have started in March 2021
    • SGW Nakajima 3 - did not participate? SGW 4 should start in Aug 2021
    • Globis Cup 8 lost to Miura Taro 1p on Apr 19, 2021. Globis Cup 9 should start Apr 2022.

Women-only or other tournaments not counting for promotion:
    • Shinjin (King of New Stars) 46 - eliminated in Nov 16, 2020. Shinjin 47 should start in Nov 2021.
    • Okan (Crown) Cup - Not eligible (seems to be for Nagoya branch only).
    • Kansai Go open 1: eliminated in Nov 2020 in the semifinal of class C (this was in main tournament). Kansai Open 2 might start Sept 2021 (but she might not be eligible to play anymore).
    • Wakatake 5: Lost to Hiroki Muramatsu 6p in first round on Nov 29, 2020. Her opponent eventually ended up in 3rd place. It seems to be Kansai only, so she will probably not play in it next year.
    Female Honimbo 40: Defeated Saeka Iwata 1p on Jan 25, 2021, Takao Mari (髙雄 茉莉, 1p, 19 yrs) on Feb 18 in prelims. Defeated Yukari Yoshihara (吉原由香里 6p 48 yrs) on April 1st in first round. Defeated Nyu Eiko (3p) on May 9, 2021 in 2nd round. See https://gotoeveryone.k2ss.info/news/jp/fhoninbo/40.
    • Female Meijin 32: defeated Akiko Tsukuda 5p (2741) on Jan 7, 2021 but lost to Ueno Asami in last qualifying game on the same day. Female Meijin 33 should start in Nov 2021?
    Female Aizu (aka Tachiaoi) 8: Won 1st qualifying game vs Chiharu Miyamoto 1p on Dec 17. Won 2nd vs Fumiko Sakakibara 6p on Jan 18, 2021. Won 3rd vs Akane Tatsuni (辰己 茜, 3p, 38yrs) on Feb 11. Defeated Wang Jing Yi (王 景怡, 3p, 35yrs, 2769, #934) on March 18 in last qualifying game, so she has made it to the main tournament. Defeated Konishi Kazuko (8p, 49yrs) in 1st round on Apr 28. Will play Nyu Eiko 3p in 2nd round. See https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/aidu/008.html
    • Female Kisei 24 - Lost in 2nd round of main tournament to Aoki Kikuyo 8p on Oct 26. Kisei 25 should start July 2021.
    Female Senko/Saikyo 6: Defeated Tamura Chiaki (田村 千明, 3p, 42yrs, 2648, #1029) in 2nd round of qualifying on Mar 10th. Defeated Hiromi Mizuno 5p (水野 弘美, 53yrs) in last qualifying game on Apr 12 and made it to the main tournament. See West 4 of https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/senko/006.html

My calculations show her results to be as follows:
In 2021: 25-5 (#2 in overall 2021 Japanese ranking by wins on gotoeveryone web site).
In 2020: 21-17
Overall: 65-30
Promotion to 3p: 9 wins
Go rating: 3016, #449 overall, #45 female

Here is her 2p -> 3p promotion record:
  • Gosei 47: 1 win
  • Meijin 47: 2 wins
  • Kisei 46: 2 wins (ongoing)
  • Judan 60: 4 wins (ongoing)

Post #324 Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:23 pm 
Lives in gote

Sumire lost to Nyu Eiko 3p in the semifinal of the Tachiaoi Cup.

The game had already be played before the previous post, so that red line should not be red...
But, again, I saw her talking after the game. I don't understand what she says, and I can barely hear her. She speaks in a very quiet voice. Not yet used to speak up, it seems. But very calm. I have seen her other times after a loss (not many, because, you know...). She looked dissappointed (nobody likes losing), but took it better.

This post by pajaro was liked by: silviu22

Post #325 Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Sumire lost her 2nd game in the Kisei, C league by 1.5.

It seems she played a good game and at some AI gave her 98% chances of victory... but her opponent, Shoto Shun 8p managed to win. In the end, she told again "I want to play my best go, result is not important".

She will play at least another game in the league. The next loss means game over.

Post #326 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:03 am 
Lives with ko

Sumire Lost to Koyama Terumi 6d on July 5 in Female Honimbo 40 (3rd round), so she is out of Female Honimbo40.

She defeated Ueno Risa 1p on July 8 in 1st round of Female Saikyo 6

I believe this last victory was her first since early June. She is struggling now against the better players from the upper stages of these tournaments.

She is still 2nd with a 26-8 in the Japanese ranking by number of wins. Ueno Asami is 1st, with 30 wins. But her go rating dropped to 2993, so she is now #490 in the world and #52 in women's world ranking

Post #327 Posted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:36 pm 
Lives in gote

Sumire has had some setbacks. She is out of the Meijin, female Honinbo, and some others that I don't remember. Also, in the kisei, the next loss is good bye (although I expect her to win her 3rd game). On the bright side, she has advanced to the preliminary A in the Judan. BTW, she will play Muramoto Wataru 3p, and they already played 1 year ago. It's that game with the comment by Baduk Doctor about how stronger could she get if she improved her judgement. Let's see how it goes. I think he will be the first male player to play her again.

But that's not too important, IMHO. According to some comments, she has lost games with IA giving her very high chances of winning (and also won "lost" games, to be fair). It seems to me that sometimes she loses focus. Not surprising, due to her age, she is a junior high student, pressure... Let's see how she can cope with all of this.

Post #328 Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:29 am 
Lives in gote

Sumire won today in the Judan against Muramoto Wataru 3p.

I don't think the game is recorded, because they were hitting the clock themselves. Also, in a short video that I saw, the gamekeeper would have been too far away. Anyway, I read a comment in twitter "too strong" (google translator), and another one, stating that they played 165 moves. Sounds like a big win.

Next is Muramatsu Hiroki 6p. He is from Osaka, so perhaps they know each other.

Post #329 Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:39 am 
Lives in gote

Today Sumire played her 100th official pro game.

It was against Kim Cheayoung 6p, in the Wu Qingyuan Cup. I don't know about international competitions or the Korean players, but this player is a former champion (of this cup? I don't know). W+1.5. This is Sumire's first international official win, and so far she has 68% of wins. go4go.net has 76 games, 61.8% winning percentage.

Pretty good, I think.

This post by pajaro was liked by 2 people: jlt, Shenoute

Post #330 Posted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:55 am 
Lives with ko

On July 22, Sumire lost her 2nd round game vs Zhou Hongyu in Qingyuan Cup International tournament for women. But Zhou is #4 in world and the current title holder, so the loss was not a big disappointment.

She won her 1st prelim game in Oza 70 on July 22 vs Endo Yoshifumi (8p). Good win in a major, which counts for promotion.

She has 11 wins in her 2p->3p promotion race (needs 40).

Post #331 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:39 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
The August issue of 月刊碁ワールド (Monthly Go World) comes with a mini-pamphlet having 45 pages of detailed commentary by Ichiriki on two of Nakamura's games.

I just received the magazine (2 weeks shipping) and have not had time to go through it. I don't read Japanese. I only recognize a few names and go terms while using a translation app. So I can't say more at the moment, but I thought it was worth mentioning because I find that Go World sells out.

This post by CDavis7M was liked by: silviu22

Post #332 Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:30 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 151
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Just published, a lighting go tournament from, I believe, last year, even if only the opening stage. Still shodan, anyhow.

Here.

Take care

PS / Edit: It's this one. 24th female Kisei, Oct 8th, 2020.

Post #333 Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:07 am 
Lives with ko

Sumire is having a difficult August: she lost 4 games in a row. The easiest way to keep track of her games is to look at her Nihon Ki-In page: https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/player/htm/ki000496.html. That page has all the recent results and the upcoming games.

Post #334 Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:06 pm 
Lives in sente

I read the same news in the "Power Report" by John Power in the AGA e-journal. https://www.usgo.org/news/2021/08/the-p ... ng-streak/

It is the best source of English Go news (coverage to convenience) that I've found. Sumire is often in the game reports and has had special features recently. Yuan Zhou commented on her winning game against Goto Shungo 9p on April 29th in the members edition.

By the way, the game reports on the player profiles is a new feature, isn't it? Before I was digging through each tournament's game listing.

Post #335 Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:48 am 
Lives in gote

Make it 5 losses in a row: she is out of Judan after losing to Iguchi Toyohide 8p.

Seems to me that she has won so many games in the early prelims and now is falling in advanced rounds. Next year/season, she is going to take a few steps back. I wonder if in some tournaments she will have to start from the very beggining, or she will be seeded in prelim A, B, or whatever.

Post #336 Posted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:52 pm 
Lives in gote

Sumire managed to win her next 2 games, against Kato Tomoko 6p in the female kisei, and Komatsu Hideko 4p in the Oza.

What I find more interesting is that her next game in the Oza is against Kobayashi Koichi 9p. She has played (and won) 9p before, but I think it's her first game against one of the big names.

My money's on the veteran player, sorry.

I want to see it.

Post #337 Posted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:39 pm 
Lives in sente

The little pamphlets that come with Go World have been featuring Nakamura Sumire. There are three and at least the last two were commented by Ichiriki. It's called something like "Sumire's move" and the idea is that throughout the game commentary there are positions where you can guess Sumire's move. It's more like "how well do you know Sumire" and not "choose the best move." I think something like this is mentioned in the beginning. I feel like it's kind of easy but it is also fun.

The 3rd pamphlet covered a long game with a lot of Kos back in June against Nakane Naoyuki (?) 9 dan. This was in the Judan section B preliminary rounds.
The Nihon Kiin has hosted the SGF here:

Ichiriki does provide commentary on the options but I can't try to repeat all that here.

Sorry for any mistakes in the diagrams. I did double check.

White: Nakamura | Black: Nakane.

:w1: Find Sumire's move from A-E. Marked is black's last move. It's backwards but I labeled the first 10 moves since they were interesting. The unlabeled moves came after.
Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . 0 . . . . . . . . . X . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . b . . c , . . d . . 1 . . . |
$$ | . . O . a . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , e . . |
$$ | . . 4 2 6 . . . . , . . . . Y , X . . |
$$ | . . 3 5 7 8 O O . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . 9 X . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

Answer:
C

==============================================================

:w2: Does Sumire play A or B? Marked is black's last move.
[go]$$
$$ | . . . O . . . . . . . . . X . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . . . . O , . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . O X Y . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . a O b . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O O O . . . . , . . . . X , X . . |
$$ | . . X X X O O O . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X X . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Answer:
b

:w3: Where does Sumire play? Marked is black's last move.
[go]$$
$$ | . . . . O X . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O O O X . . . . . . X . . . . . |
$$ | . . X O . X . . O , . . . . . X . Y . |
$$ | . O O X X X . X O . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . O . O O X . X O . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . O . X . X O O . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . O . . X O X . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X O . O . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . X O . . , . . . . . a . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . . b . . |
$$ | . . O O O O . . . , . . . . X , X . . |
$$ | . . X X X O O O . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X X . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Answer:
b

:w4: Find Sumire's move. Marked is black's last move.
[go]$$
$$ | . . . O O O X . . . . . . X . . . X . |
$$ | . . X O . X . . O , . . X . . X X X O |
$$ | . O O X X X . X O . . . O O . O X O . |
$$ | . O . O O X . X O . . . . . O . O . O |
$$ | . . O . X . X O O . . . . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . O . . X O X . . . . . . . . X X . |
$$ | . . . . . X O . O . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . X O . . , . . . X . X . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . X . . . . . X . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . O O X . X . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . X O O . O O . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . X O . . |
$$ | . . O O O O . . . , . . X . X X X X . |
$$ | . O X X X O O O . . . . Y . . O . . . |
$$ | O X O . . X X . . . . a O b . . . . . |
$$ | . X X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |

Answer:
b

:w5: Where does Sumire play? Marked are the last moves.
[go]$$
$$ | . . . O O O X . . . . . . X . . . X . |
$$ | . . X O . X . . O , . . X . . X X X O |
$$ | . O O X X X . X O . a Y O O . O X O . |
$$ | . O . O O X . X O . Y Q . . O . O . O |
$$ | . . O . X . X O O . . b . . . . . O . |
$$ | . . O . . X O . O X . . . . . . X X . |
$$ | . . . . . X O O O X . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . , . X O . X , . . . X . X . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . X O . . . . X . . . X . . |
$$ | . . O . . . . . . . . O O X . X . O . |
$$ | . . O X . . . . . . . O . O . . . . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . X O . O O . O O . . |
$$ | . O . . . X . . X . X O . . . X O . . |
$$ | . . O O O O . . O X X . X . X X X X . |
$$ | . O X X X O O O O O . X X . X O . . . |
$$ | O X O . . X X X X . O X O O O X . . . |
$$ | . X X . . . . . . . . O . . . . . . . |

Answer:
A

:w6: The Ko has already begun. Black played a threat and then took the Ko with the Marked stone. What ko threat does Sumire play? Ichiriki provided a hint below.

Hint:
A local ko threat

[go]$$
$$ | . . . O O O X . . . . . . X . . . X X |
$$ | . . X O . X . . O , . X X O . X X X O |
$$ | . O O X X X . X O . O X O O . O X O O |
$$ | . O . O O X . X O . X O X . O O O . O |
$$ | . . O . X . X O O . O O X X O . O O Y |
$$ | . . O . . X O . O X . . O X O O X X . |
$$ | . . . . . X O O O X . . . X . . O X X |
$$ | . . . , . X O . X , . . . X . X . . . |
$$ | . . X X . . X O . . . . X . . . X . . |
$$ | . X O X . . . . . . . O O X . X . O . |
$$ | . O O X . . . . . . . O . O . . . . . |
$$ | O . . O X . . . . X O . O O . O O . . |
$$ | . O O O . X . . X . X O . . . X O . . |

Answer:

[go]$$
$$ | . . . O O O X . . . . . . X . . . X X |
$$ | . . X O . X . . O , . X X O . X X X O |
$$ | . O O X X X . X O . O X O O . O X O O |
$$ | . O . O O X . X O . X O X . O O O . O |
$$ | . . O . X . X O O . O O X X O . O O 4 |
$$ | . . O . . X O . O X . . O X O O X X 2 |
$$ | . . . . . X O O O X . . . X . 1 O X X |
$$ | . . . , . X O . X , . . . X . X 3 Q . |
$$ | . . X X . . X O . . . . X . . . X . . |
$$ | . X O X . . . . . . . O O X . X . O . |
$$ | . O O X . . . . . . . O . O . . . . . |
$$ | O . . O X . . . . X O . O O . O O . . |
$$ | . O O O . X . . X . X O . . . X O . . |

If black captures the 4 white stones, white can capture the 4 black stones.

There is a 7th diagram but I'm done. Hope you enjoyed.

This post by CDavis7M was liked by 2 people: jlt, Shenoute

Post #338 Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:52 pm 
Lives in gote

I got 3/3. Am I officially a bad Sumire fan? (and I had seen this game)

I think it's also a test about how much IA go you get. 1 and also 3 might have been played different in past times.

4 surprised me. I got it wrong. Remember a few posts back? About how she went for wild attacks? In this case, I thought that the wrong answer didn't work, and she would, of course, take the one I judged right. Well, no.

There are some (tons of) reasons why she's the pro, and not me.

Post #339 Posted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:32 pm 
Lives in sente

I'm haven't reviewed many of her games, but my impression is that she doesn't back down and she will play the aggressive move (at least in my opinion). Maybe I'm misinterpreting the moves though.

If you all had fun too, I can try to share the rest.

Post #340 Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:03 pm 
Lives in gote

I think the same, she goes for the most aggressive move. Sometimes, I just don't see which is the most...

I think it was interesting, but posting it is a lot of effort. So up to you.

BTW: go to your calendars, check Oct. 4th and clear it. Nakamura-Kobayashi. :twisted:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 659 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 33  Next