It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Following Nakamura Sumire
Post #121 Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:08 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
In the most recent update of mamumamu's ratings, Sumire's rating is still tentative (i.e. too much uncertainty to qualify for the main list). However, it would place her in the main list right under Sugiuchi Kazuko, who is just 82 years her senior.

BTW, I haven't been a Sumire fan because I (still) believe that her qualification was more a Ki'in publicity stunt than a true assessment of her strength. But one Saturday evening about a month ago her parents were standing in the Ki'in lobby as we were heading out to our local watering hole. (Mom brings Sumire to the Ki'in seemingly every time she comes and is a very willing to chat, so is well-known to us lobby denizens)

The elevator doors opened and Sumire came out. Seems she had been in a study group upstairs. Mom asked whether she had lost all her games. Even I thought that was a little abrupt! But with just a hint of snark (just a little extra length on her "iiye" - she is only a 10-year-old Japanese girl after all) she replied perkily that, "Nooo, I won the last game." In that moment, I switched to being a fan. :tmbup:

This post by ez4u was liked by 6 people: Dusk Eagle, Ember, karaklis, silviu22, tim, Zenit

Post #122 Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:23 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 146
Was liked: 81
Online playing schedule: A schedule..? When hell freezes over... maybe. ^^;
ez4u wrote:
In the most recent update of mamumamu's ratings, Sumire's rating is still tentative (i.e. too much uncertainty to qualify for the main list). However, it would place her in the main list right under Sugiuchi Kazuko, who is just 82 years her senior.

BTW, I haven't been a Sumire fan because I (still) believe that her qualification was more a Ki'in publicity stunt than a true assessment of her strength. But one Saturday evening about a month ago her parents were standing in the Ki'in lobby as we were heading out to our local watering hole. (Mom brings Sumire to the Ki'in seemingly every time she comes and is a very willing to chat, so is well-known to us lobby denizens)

The elevator doors opened and Sumire came out. Seems she had been in a study group upstairs. Mom asked whether she had lost all her games. Even I thought that was a little abrupt! But with just a hint of snark (just a little extra length on her "iiye" - she is only a 10-year-old Japanese girl after all) she replied perkily that, "Nooo, I won the last game." In that moment, I switched to being a fan. :tmbup:

That's a cool story! Thanks for sharing. :)

Post #123 Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:21 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
She got pretty duffed up in the MLily cup though, as to be expected vs a top player Li Xuanhao:

Post #124 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:19 pm 
Judan

Sumire beat another man: Yamada Shiho 7p (52 years old, unreliable 2841 goratings).

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Ember

Post #125 Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:05 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 528
Yamada Shiho must been really mad. He played to the end and lost by 26.5. Shiho is older brother of Yamada Kimio.

Post #126 Posted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:40 pm 
Gosei

Nakamura Sumire won another game against male pro 7p. So far her record 7:4 as pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M66IReGx-Ok

Reviewer in Video is Kim Seongryong 9p(retired??). Numbered sequence in Video is his illustration. Review is in Korean.

Post #127 Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:34 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
Her opponent was Takabayashi Masahiro (56 years old, unreliable 2654 goratings).

Post #128 Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:44 pm 
Gosei

Nakamura Sumire won another game. So far her record 8:4 as pro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSrxQQ2tleQ

Reviewer in Video is Kim Seongryong 9p(retired??). Numbered sequence in Video is his illustration. Review is in Korean.

Post #129 Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:47 am 
Judan

Looks like she won another game, in the 45th Kisei prelims.

Post #130 Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:57 am 
Gosei

Yes, she is amazing. I can see her growing in every game. She has won 2 games each in Honinbo prelim and Judan prelim and waiting for 3rd game match. She will be one little busy girl for the rest of year.

Post #131 Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:19 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4628
Sumire's victim in the 7th Aidu Chuo Hospital Tachiaoi Cup Preliminary was Tamura Chiaki 3-dan. I was interested to note that the Korean pro commentary focused (as does much of Japanese commentary) on creating and avoiding overconcentration in line with what AI seems to teach. It seems that risking a weak group is better than a potentially overconcentrated or slack move, which may seem obvious but it has hardly been the principle behind most Japanese play for the past few decades. Sumire plays more in the Korean style. Superb tactics and (to my amateur eye) complete understanding of the flow of a seriai running fight help enormously in that regard.

She faces Hane Ayaka next, a fellow 1-dan recommendee whom she has already bested.

In the Kisei Preliminary (where Mrs Sugiuchi is fortunately again down to play - she did rather well last year), Sumire defeated 26-year-old Takagi Junpei 2-dan. The post-game comments were revealing. Takagi said he thought he wasn't doing badly but he actually got trampled on. Sumire meanwhile showed she is definitely not one of the modern snowflake generation. She thought her opening play was poor but she didn't give up and was able to exploit some aji in her opponent's camp later. I can easily imagine Takagi having nightmares now: tramp, tramp, chomp, chomp.

Sumire's next opponent in the Kisei will be a 9-dan, Baba Shigeru. I expect he's already having daymares!

Hane Ayaka is also in the Kisei prelims but, like Mrs Sugiuchi, in a different block from Sumire. However she is in the same block as her grandfather Yasumasa, and so they could potentially meet - a wonderful though unlikely prospect: both would have to win four games to meet in the block final.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 4 people: Ember, Gomoto, silviu22, tim

Post #132 Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:56 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 621
Was liked: 310
The game: (KataGo Annotations based on 7.5 komi, KataGo did not update to changed game info on the fly)

Post #133 Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:58 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
Looking at Sumire games so far, it kinda look like she like fighting :mrgreen:

Post #134 Posted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 am 
Gosei

Sumire lost a game to Tsukuda Akiko 5p in Honinbo prelim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iyBJeLZQpo

Post #135 Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:26 pm 
Gosei

Nakamura Sumire won against Tanemura Sayuri in Judan prelim. Her record 10:5.

This post by trout was liked by: silviu22

Post #136 Posted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:11 pm 
Gosei

Nakamura Sumire won against Takao Mari in New Star King. Her record 11:5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hAVwNSK4Ps

Post #137 Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:13 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
trout wrote:
Nakamura Sumire won against Takao Mari in New Star King. Her record 11:5.

At this rate, nidan in early 2020.

Take care

Post #138 Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:26 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4628
The merchandising has gone up a notch. So far it's been a mere ripple, but that's how tsunamis start.

The latest is a little stuffed effigy of her on a chain. Surprisingly lifelike, it has her name Sumire in kana across her frock, and is just 980 yen, so is clearly aimed at the kiddies' market, which is line with other merchandising I have seen before.

I don't really know what this would be called in English, but in Japanese it's a nuigurumi sutorappu. Available from the Nihon Ki-in.

Violet is the new black!

Post #139 Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:23 am 
Judan

Being a new pro, many of her games are against the weaker pros (and more women than young male pros will face) in the early rounds of prelims etc, but 11:5 still looks a very healthy record. For comparison, does anyone have the stats for some other pros who qualified through the usual tournaments at similar stages in their careers? E.g. what did Shibano Toramaru get? What did some random female 1p from the last year's qualification we've never heard of get?

Post #140 Posted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 153
GD Posts: 100
KGS: Tryss
If you look at her opponents rating on gorating, you see that her win were against players under 2900, and her loss against players over 2800.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 33  Next