It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Following Nakamura Sumire
Post #61 Posted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:46 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
For completeness of comparing like with like, here's Sumire's game with lz226 at 3300 playouts. Her big mistake hanging connect on right side did indeed go up to 20% in lz226 view. Interestingly with lz226's stronger analysis Oh Yujin's biggest mistake was almost as bad, -18% for q7 push: lz says it's much better to directly connect under at s6 because losing a liberty means if you do that next white gets b9 valuable move in sente for free, so Oh resisted that with the hane there first but then white got to capture that stone in sente for some nice eyeshape (as compensation black got more profit in the centre, and those cut weaknesses ended up eliciting Sumire's to make her biggest mistake, so on a human psychological level of making bad moves because you can predict it will encourage even worse moves from opponent maybe it was Oh Yujin's best move!). And in fact Sumire's prior move at r9 was almost as bad: p11 is better because it too is effectively sente for s6 but is much more useful on the outside fight for surrounding the 2 black stones.
Attachment:
sumire oh yujin lz 226 3300p.PNG
sumire oh yujin lz 226 3300p.PNG [ 171.21 KiB | Viewed 17517 times ]

Post #62 Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:13 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 7
https://twitter.com/mainichi_igo/status ... 0389756928

We can expect a game on July, 8 against Tanaka Chieko 4p.

Post #63 Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:02 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 416
Was liked: 198
ez4u wrote:
I never thought I would be standing shoulder to shoulder with Canny Onion but...

Level unlocked :-)

ez4u wrote:
It really annoyed me that this is apparently the Nihon Ki'in view of the current state of Japanese Go - Iyama and... a ten-year-old child who hasn't won a game yet?!! So much for its 95 years of effort. :sad:

I don't see anything sad there, unless you want to read too much into it; I can think of message of encouragement for young kids to study Go and become pro, or message about "here are our strongest and newest members", etc.
Cheer up :-)

Post #64 Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:13 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 416
Was liked: 198
TheCannyOnion wrote:
sorin wrote:
From what the Korean pros said, namely that she is way stronger than equivalent Korean insei at the same age, I think would put her somewhere close to Euro pros.

What Korean pros? Their names? When did they say it? What was the context? Were these pros connected to Sumire, such as teaching at the Korean dojo that trained Sumire? Care to refer me to a source?

Sorry, I don't have the exact source now, but I remember reading this as part of the general news when she was introduced to the Go world. It was said by the pro leading the Korean school she studied at. Something similar was also repeated by the Japanese pros who tested her (Cho U and Iyama) - along the lines of "very hard to believe this is a 9-10 years old".

Post #65 Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:49 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 8
sorin wrote:
TheCannyOnion wrote:
sorin wrote:
From what the Korean pros said, namely that she is way stronger than equivalent Korean insei at the same age, I think would put her somewhere close to Euro pros.

What Korean pros? Their names? When did they say it? What was the context? Were these pros connected to Sumire, such as teaching at the Korean dojo that trained Sumire? Care to refer me to a source?

Sorry, I don't have the exact source now, but I remember reading this as part of the general news when she was introduced to the Go world. It was said by the pro leading the Korean school she studied at. Something similar was also repeated by the Japanese pros who tested her (Cho U and Iyama) - along the lines of "very hard to believe this is a 9-10 years old".

Of course they would say that. On the other hand...

https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=240925#p240925

May the puffery continue unabated. Cheers! :clap: :clap: :clap: :salute: :salute: :salute: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post #66 Posted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:03 pm 
Beginner

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20190620/k ... 40/376000c

It appears Nakamura Sumire is going to play pair go 18-20 August together with another young pro Fukuoka Kotaro?

Post #67 Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:27 am 
Judan

Another loss, against Murukawa Daisuke 8p. She kept the game even and even a gained a slight advantage (s6 nice tesuji) as black up to move 46, but 47 was a critical mistake because her group only lived in ko and it allowed white to make eyeshape than the better move at o3 (which made r1 capture have bigger followup so W likely can't ignore that r3 atari). And no miracle comeback from a 1% position like Park Junghwan managed.

Attachments:
Sumire Murukawa.sgf [15.62 KiB]
Downloaded 1424 times

Post #68 Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:39 pm 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 11
Tygem: shiva
I enjoyed her game against Murakawa. I liked that she played the AI joseki. Murakawa's choice of joseki in the lower right was harsh. the extra large knight move and the shoulder hit on the fifth line feel like they are meant to test/confuse her. But it was a nice game that showed her fighting spirit.

Post #69 Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:15 am 
Beginner

Sumire won her first official tournament game. I transcribed the game from video-broadcast (there might be mistakes!) but I was a little late and there was no option to rewind it back. Hopefully since news will be all over it we'll get a proper sgf soon.

Post #70 Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:39 am 
Judan

That's nice for Sumire, though I when I looked up Tanaka Chieko on goratings she has the dubious distinction of being the absolute last placed at 1016 out of 1016 players listed, with her last win in the go4go db coming in 2004 and 1989 before that!

Post #71 Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 am 
Beginner

Yes, Tanaka isn't very strong but that's life. I skimmed through random recent female tournaments and found her participating consistently and in my sample she won 3 times and lost 14 times, for example, she won a game in 37th female honinbo preliminaries and that's like 2017.

Anyway, we can't expect 10yo girl to win title holders in her first year, can we now.

This post by Arcaress was liked by: silviu22

Post #72 Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:08 pm 
Dies with sente

Was liked: 8
Tanaka doesn't appear to be all that active, with Go4go recording only 10 games in the last 26 years! Moreover, Tanaka's rating is only 2279, but I can't be sure this is accurate, given the paucity of data. But 2279 is some 315 points lower than Rita Pocsai, an European amateur 4-dan!

I wonder if Tanaka was handpicked to play Sumire... It's important that Sumire be put in the best possible position to win her first official game.

What a farce and a disgrace!

This post by TheCannyOnion was liked by: dsatkas

Post #73 Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 pm 
Lives with ko

Was liked: 21
According to Goratings.org* Ariane Ougier is stronger than Pavol Lisy.

I wonder if you just trolling, or you are really serious. If first case is true then i congratulate you for deceiving admins of Lifein19x19 for so long. If second, then i feel really sorry.

*If someone has not much games in databse (Ariane Ougier has 3, Tanaka Chieko has 24), expecting any ranking system to do good job is too much.

This post by AloneAgainstAll was liked by: cobrahc

Post #74 Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:42 pm 
Judan

I think of TheCannyOnion more as a pet chihuahua, kept for the amusement of its predictable yapping anytime Iyama or Sumire is mentioned, than a deceitful troll. :)

This post by Uberdude was liked by: silviu22

Post #75 Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:19 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 2338
Was liked: 1332
KGS: ez4u
TheCannyOnion wrote:
Tanaka doesn't appear to be all that active, with Go4go recording only 10 games in the last 26 years! Moreover, Tanaka's rating is only 2279, but I can't be sure this is accurate, given the paucity of data. But 2279 is some 315 points lower than Rita Pocsai, an European amateur 4-dan!

I wonder if Tanaka was handpicked to play Sumire... It's important that Sumire be put in the best possible position to win her first official game.

What a farce and a disgrace!

This simply reflects the bias of goratings since it uses published games. Mamumamu's site shows her with 12 games over the last 12 months - all losses! There is no lack of quite weak pros at the bottom of the list, so little need to "hand pick" an opponent. I think Sumire is no where near the top but no where near the bottom in Japan.

This post by ez4u was liked by: Arcaress

Post #76 Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:01 pm 
Judan

On mamumamu's list Tanaka Chieko (goratings 1016/1016) is 439 of 444 with a rating of 2,5 (Iyama at top is 9.5). Michael Redmond (goratings 658/1016 with 2 wins 3 losses in last year) is 108/444 with 13 wins 8 losses at 6.97.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Arcaress

Post subject:
Post #77 Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:20 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
The clip says today July 10, 2019 Wed local time 3:50 pm. Ms. Sumire v. Globis-AQZ.
Attachment:
IMG_4370.PNG
IMG_4370.PNG [ 1.04 MiB | Viewed 16377 times ]

Post #78 Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:41 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
Arcaress wrote:
Sumire won her first official tournament game. I transcribed the game from video-broadcast but I was a little late and there was no option to rewind it back. Hopefully since news will be all over it we'll get a proper sgf soon.

See FKisei/23/Q02.sgf.
I have 53 games by Tanaka Chieko, 13 won and 40 lost.

Post #79 Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:26 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
For whatever its worth,

Attachment:
Nakamura1dan.png
Nakamura1dan.png [ 179.4 KiB | Viewed 16284 times ]

That's got to be the sharpest drop I've seen so far (L wanted G13). Also, Leela didn't like 17, but once done it didn't understand why nobody would settle the damn corner.

Take care.

Post #80 Posted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:30 pm 
Judan

Ferran wrote:
That's got to be the sharpest drop I've seen so far

Park Yeonghun can give Tanaka a run for her money, though admittedly over the course of 3 not 1 moves. https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=246323#p246323

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 660 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next