It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Who should win
1.Give Eric Lui the win because the game clock says he won. 9%  9%  [ 16 ]
2. Give Mateusz Surma the win because he had a clearly won game. 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
3. Resume the game at the point at which there was an alleged communication failure. 26%  26%  [ 45 ]
4. Rematch. Void the game and play it again. 14%  14%  [ 25 ]
5. Give both players a loss. Eliminate both, and bring the next players up. 5%  5%  [ 8 ]
6. Flip a coin to determine the winner. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
------------------------------------------ 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
I am an AGA member and/or live in the USA. 9%  9%  [ 16 ]
I am an EGF member and/or live in Europe. 25%  25%  [ 43 ]
I am not affiliated in any way with either the AGA or the EGF. 8%  8%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 173
 Post subject: Re: POLL: Lui vs Surma clock dispute
Post #21 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:48 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
A lost game implies that it is a game which is lost on the board.

Post #22 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:41 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 165
Was liked: 18
Universal go server handle: yakcyll
Javaness2 wrote:

Depends on whether you play to win or not. A tournament game is lost when one of the losing conditions is met, including but not limited to losing a match by having less points on the board after two passes.

Post #23 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:46 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Javaness2 wrote:

In practice, there are various ways to lose a game. For example, SGF specification indicates this in game records: https://www.red-bean.com/sgf/properties.html#RE

Quote:
Provides the result of the game. It is MANDATORY to use the
following format:
"0" (zero) or "Draw" for a draw (jigo),
"B+" ["score"] for a black win and
"W+" ["score"] for a white win
Score is optional (some games don't have a score e.g. chess).
If the score is given it has to be given as a real value,
e.g. "B+0.5", "W+64", "B+12.5"
Use "B+R" or "B+Resign" and "W+R" or "W+Resign" for a win by
resignation. Applications must not write "Black resigns".
Use "B+T" or "B+Time" and "W+T" or "W+Time" for a win on time,
"B+F" or "B+Forfeit" and "W+F" or "W+Forfeit" for a win by
forfeit,
"Void" for no result or suspended play and
"?" for an unknown result.

The types of loss include:
* Loss by some number of points
* Loss by resignation
* Loss by time
* Loss by forfeit
* Void for no result
* ? for unknown result

There is already enough ambiguity in this situation due to the lack of clarity in the rules. Let's not add to it by saying that Eric "clearly lost". If you want to say that he "lost on the board", the added clarification is essential for this situation, which is already ambiguous.

Post #24 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 11:48 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
Below are quotes from both threads. It is not intended to exhaust every point that was made, but to highlight some of the different perspectives people have.

Lag matters?
“I think this comes down to whether we believe Mateusz’s statement.”
“i believe Mateusz wholeheartedly, but i think the opposite.”
“You simply can not put a rule in that says that players are responsible for their connections”
“remember that we are playing Go, not ‘who has the better Internet connection.’”

It’s obvious – what should happen is:
“probably the fairest thing would be to declare the game without result and let the players have a rematch under the new conditions.”
“It baffles me why there are other options except the 2nd (Give Mateusz Surma the win because he had a clearly won game.) and 3rd (Resume the game at the point at which there was an alleged communication failure.)”
“I think Eric Lui is highly embarrassed with the whole situation and will gladly accept any reasonable offer, such as playing a new game or continuing from where Mateusz allegedly left it.”
“if there is no specific rule about lag or disconnection in place, i think the cleanest solution is (for Mateusz) to accept the loss (unless Eric wants to decline his victory)”
“I think there could be only 2 options for ruling:
- loss in the game due to timeout,
- continuation of game if lag argument is accepted.”
“To me it seems obvious that the game must resume. No other option is fair or reasonable or in the spirit of the game.”
“Wind back the clock, continue play from the position from where the disruption happened.”
“Resumption would not be equitable because the property of being in byo-yomi has been lost.”
“Sorry, but estimates are needed.”
“One thing I would disagree with is adjudication.”

It’s about tournament policy:
“the integrity of the tournament must be protected above all else. … ”
“Nothing else matters here, because we are trying to determine tournament policy”
“Tournament policy is beyond the scope of any inquiry.”
“finding an outcome that both sides can accept and preserving goodwill is relatively more important.”

There should only be satisfying victories:
“What is the purpose of this tournament? Isn't it to find which team is the strongest? How a win for Eric furthers this purpose?”
“Another possible resolution that I don't think I've seen here is to declare the game a loss for both sides”
“I don't understand what the fuss is all about. Mateuz was clearly ahead, there were what 10 moves, basically dame remaining? And he claims he played with a 10 sec margin. Give him the win already and next time plan more carefully the tournament.”

This post by mhlepore was liked by 7 people: Bill Spight, Bonobo, Calvin Clark, dsatkas, Galation, Joaz Banbeck, Kirby

Post #25 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 12:24 pm 
Gosei

Kirby wrote:
Javaness2 wrote:

In practice, there are various ways to lose a game. For example, SGF specification indicates this in game records: https://www.red-bean.com/sgf/properties.html#RE

Quote:
Provides the result of the game. It is MANDATORY to use the
following format:
"0" (zero) or "Draw" for a draw (jigo),
"B+" ["score"] for a black win and
"W+" ["score"] for a white win
Score is optional (some games don't have a score e.g. chess).
If the score is given it has to be given as a real value,
e.g. "B+0.5", "W+64", "B+12.5"
Use "B+R" or "B+Resign" and "W+R" or "W+Resign" for a win by
resignation. Applications must not write "Black resigns".
Use "B+T" or "B+Time" and "W+T" or "W+Time" for a win on time,
"B+F" or "B+Forfeit" and "W+F" or "W+Forfeit" for a win by
forfeit,
"Void" for no result or suspended play and
"?" for an unknown result.

The types of loss include:
* Loss by some number of points
* Loss by resignation
* Loss by time
* Loss by forfeit
* Void for no result
* ? for unknown result

There is already enough ambiguity in this situation due to the lack of clarity in the rules. Let's not add to it by saying that Eric "clearly lost". If you want to say that he "lost on the board", the added clarification is essential for this situation, which is already ambiguous.

You can do that if you like, but when somebody talks about somebody "having a lost game" the interpretation most people will make is that he is "lost on the board". That is, he is literally walking around on the goban and he has no clue where he is.

Post #26 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 1:15 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 886
Was liked: 528
GD Posts: 61
KGS: dfan
mhlepore wrote:
Below are quotes from both threads. It is not intended to exhaust every point that was made, but to highlight some of the different perspectives people have.

Indeed. The fact that there have been so many conflicting statements of the form "It is obvious that the only reasonable solution is <A/B/C/etc>" is a pretty clear indication that any resolution is going to offend a lot of people.

(The only way that massive hurt feelings could have been avoided would have been for the participants to agree to a resolution quickly; lots of people might still be annoyed by it but at least they'd have to admit that the players agreed to it. It's too late for that now, though.)

Post #27 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:01 pm 
Honinbo

Javaness2 wrote:

You can do that if you like, but when somebody talks about somebody "having a lost game" the interpretation most people will make is that he is "lost on the board". That is, he is literally walking around on the goban and he has no clue where he is.

He didn’t say “having a lost game”. He said:
Quote:
giving Eric the win in a clearly lost game

Which brushes over the time setting aspect of the game completely. Given that it was still possible to time out - lag or not - shows that it was not a “clearly lost game”.

Maybe Eric will still lose the game from the ruling, but it is certainly not clear.

Post #28 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:27 pm 
Gosei

Kirby wrote:
He didn’t say “having a lost game”. He said:
Quote:
giving Eric the win in a clearly lost game

Which brushes over the time setting aspect of the game completely. Given that it was still possible to time out - lag or not - shows that it was not a “clearly lost game”.

Yes, the brush is at that height because his expression means that Eric is lost on the board. Nobody considers that a possible external event* should be taken into account when assessing the position on the goban. You would take into account time pressure, but not crazy stuff.

* some examples being lag, a heart attack, a DOS attack, the Spanish Inquisition.

I wonder who sponsors the event, and what they make of all this. The diplomatic solutions of rematch or double default are all that can be chosen now. Clearly the win options and resumption option are already ruled out.

Post #29 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:06 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 89
Maybe it would be good to have discussion on how to improve go servers for important matches.
Servers being used now are 20 years old, and lot has changed since. Connections are faster, but still sensitive.
There are AI programs

Post #30 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 4:23 pm 
Honinbo

Javaness2 wrote:
Yes, the brush is at that height because his expression means that Eric is lost on the board. ... You would take into account time pressure, but not crazy stuff.

Yes, you would take into account time pressure, which means that it is not accurate to say it was a "clearly lost game". When you use phrases like, "clearly lost" and "obviously", it's a type of persuasion that pushes your own thoughts/bias about the situation. That's why I responded in the other extreme by saying that one could say that Eric had "clearly won". Obviously, I'm not talking about the board position here, but the statement has the same degree of "clarity" as the one about the board.

I don't think it's a bad thing that I'm pushing for more clarity in an already ambiguous situation. It's not clear to me why you have a problem with this.

Post #31 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:01 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 7
Kirby, considering that Ali Jabarin already called the game for Surma at that point, it's probably accurate to say "clearly lost" and "obviously". Plus there were no weak groups or dangerous cuts left to mess up position, right? So that what it was, clear win for Surma, we all know that. Why obfuscate that fact?

Post #32 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:17 pm 
Honinbo

Arcaress wrote:
Kirby, considering that Ali Jabarin already called the game for Surma at that point, it's probably accurate to say "clearly lost" and "obviously". Plus there were no weak groups or dangerous cuts left to mess up position, right? So that what it was, clear win for Surma, we all know that. Why obfuscate that fact?

Because it's not "clear" or "obvious" considering the time situation. We are talking about two different things. It is surely clear that Surma was leading on the board. It is not clear that Surma won the game, even now. It is not obvious that he should win the game. Am I speaking a different language?

I guess it might just be a difference in perspective that's hard to overcome.

This post by Kirby was liked by: yakcyll

Post subject:
Post #33 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:26 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
off-topic:

Hi Kirby,
Quote:
Am I speaking a different language?
Depends: Literally, no. Else, yes.

Option 1: "...the game clock says he won."
  • the clock doesn't literally speak;
  • even if it's a Citizen clock that literally speaks, it still wouldn't have announced that so-and-so had won or lost, or the reason -- it still would be up to the TD to officiate the result;
  • who exactly is "he" here? even though the sentence already states the name;
  • which game clock are we talking about, exactly?

"...the game clock says he won" is non-literal, shorthand for "the KGS server timer for this particular game showed that game time had run out for so-and-so," understood by a general English-conscious audience.

Similarly, "...he had a clearly won game" is also non-literal, shorthand for "so-and-so had a board position that's obviously winning for so-and-so, because so-and-so was obviously ahead on points, and nothing was going to change this situation if both players continued to play 'normal', 'optimal' moves for the rest of the game, and if no crazy stuff happened, such as heart attacks or the Spanish Inquisition, etc." Thus encapsulated in Javanes's literal "lost on the board". This, too, is understood by a general English-conscious audience.

Balance between normal chats, theses, and legalese.

If anything, one can pick on the wording of the original poll language.
Quote:
it's a type of persuasion that pushes your own thoughts/bias about the situation.
Sound advice; good for one to ponder the reasons one's take is different from certain others'.

Years ago, someone coined the term Literal-Man. For me. :batman: :blackeye:

Pick our battles. Wisely.

This post by EdLee was liked by: Bonobo

Post subject: Re:
Post #34 Posted: Fri May 10, 2019 7:53 pm 
Honinbo

EdLee wrote:
Quote:
Pick our battles. Wisely.

Point taken, and I think the advice is appropriate here. Thanks for the perspective.

This post by Kirby was liked by: Bonobo

Post #35 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:20 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
From the options presented I'd give half a vote to 1 (Eric win), nothing to 2 (Mateusz win by fiat, thought option 3 is effectively the same and Eric may resign immediately to be sporting), and a whole vote to all of options 3-6. But having to pick at most 2 went for 3 and 5. Most important is picking one both sides can accept and continue in good spirits. This event is supposed to be a celebration of the AGA and EGF pro systems and something I've been looking forward to for years, and hope continues for years. I wouldn't want this unfortunate incident to jeopardise that.

This post by Uberdude was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #36 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:44 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 18
GD Posts: 50
Quote:
Who should win?
The question is unclear and may be interpreted in may ways:

Who should win considering the Transatlantic tournament rules/agreements (which we don't know, seemingly)?
Who should win from my personal point of view and in a general situation? Is it a question how any sensible rules of a (general) tournament shall be formulated?
Who should win from my personal point of view and in this concrete situation, supposing organizers forgot to set up clear rules about internet lags?

Last edited by k0n0 on Sat May 11, 2019 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post #37 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:47 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Uberdude wrote:
Most important is picking one both sides can accept and continue in good spirits.

Hear, hear! :)

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

This post by Bill Spight was liked by: hyperpape

Post #38 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:38 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
I would give Eric Lui the win and let him play the next European player. But, since there is this a highly unusual and controversial situation, I would not eliminate Matheusz Surma and push him to the end of the list. It might be the other 4 European players would defeat the two remaining Americans and then it won't matter that Matheusz wasn't eliminated

This post by silviu22 was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #39 Posted: Sat May 11, 2019 6:59 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 56
Was liked: 7
KGS: 2k
IGS: 2k
OGS: 3k
I still believe the most honest response would be to resume the game, which is basically the same as giving the win to Surma, but that's not my favourite outcome. If it were up to me, i would prefer Surma to win on paper, but Eric be able to continue with the next EGF pro. That way, we accept the superiority of Surma and we get an extra game.

Post #40 Posted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:39 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 238
Was liked: 60
Javaness2 wrote:
the Spanish Inquisition.

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition! :lol:
Monty Python’s Flying Circus

Sorry I haven't been unable to resist any more ;-)

This post by Galation was liked by: Kirby