It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Shin Jinseo
Post #121 Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:01 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
CDavis7M wrote:
Long games are fun but in the moment I really appreciate the short games because I can (and will) watch the entire game. I try to not watch Day 1 of the 2 day Japanese matches because it's too much commitment. Sponsors must feel the same.

I'm only speculating, and my reference is Japanese Go. I know next to nothing about the rest.

I suspect multi-day competitions are holding by their teeth to the cliffs at Dodo's Island. They had to be bad enough to organise, but the electronics sweep & blackout they must keep these days? That must be prohibitive. And, frankly, I could live with a single day marathon. The recent Gosei... semifinals? was good enough for me. Spruce if up a bit, and that's it.

On both sides of it, there's flash games... I tend to dislike them, BUT I also find some of their games easier to understand. I also seem to find more... I can't recall the term, just learnt it a few days ago... those games without opening, but an avalanche of stones filling up the board from a single corner. I dislike those games. But if we could get good, non-rushy games...

But I still kind of miss "leisure" games, extended to the point where the player could explore the limits of his Go. This might be out of reach of sponsors, unless they were sunk-cost sponsors. Maybe it's just to soon to see this, but I kinda miss innovations, "trade secrets" and such. It's been a while since I read anything about a new way of playing that opened new ideas. One that was personal, not AI-led.

We'll see. Things can get very interesting... or stultifyingly boring.

Take care

Post #122 Posted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:51 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 37
Was liked: 15
Ferran wrote:
Quote:
While in Korea the make and female number one's just dominant, especially in long time setting. Who knows, Shin Jinsei might just be at home in a two-day game.

I wasn't aware that Korea also liked long time settings. We're talking 2-day long matches or similar, right?

The longest domestic games played in Korea have 2 hours main time. However, the LG Cup (an international major) has 3 hours main time.

Post #123 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 3:37 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
gazzawhite wrote:
Ferran wrote:
Quote:
While in Korea the make and female number one's just dominant, especially in long time setting. Who knows, Shin Jinsei might just be at home in a two-day game.

I wasn't aware that Korea also liked long time settings. We're talking 2-day long matches or similar, right?

The longest domestic games played in Korea have 2 hours main time. However, the LG Cup (an international major) has 3 hours main time.

Yes I really mean only games with 2 hours main time or more

CDavis7M wrote:
That rumor about a Shin vs Ke match was exciting. Too bad it didn't materialize or was just made up. I'd rather see that, than vs Iyama. . .

. . .So, who would even sponsor this match? MLily is still sponsoring Go but I wonder how their last 10 game match paid off for them.

I'm actually very happy it didn't materialise. Sponsors wasting money on resources on Shin v Ke when Ke is not in form would be terrible, because when Ke does return to form, it's unlikely sponsors would spend the money and recourses on a second one, and anyway it just wouldn't be the same. Ke would have an unfair psychological hurdle from losing the first. I really cannot understand why one would want a Ke v Shin Jubango at this time.

CDavis7M wrote:
Long games are fun but in the moment I really appreciate the short games because I can (and will) watch the entire game. I try to not watch Day 1 of the 2 day Japanese matches because it's too much commitment. Sponsors must feel the same.

Well for me it's the exact opposite. In a two day match I can casually follow the game whereas in a speed match I must be present and if I want to watch it live see it all in one go! Very similar to live games v correspondence. When TV games started becoming more popular, the internet was and is the salvation for traditional long time settings.

Post #124 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:57 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
Quote:
Sponsors wasting money on resources on Shin v Ke when Ke is not in form would be terrible

I don't follow Ke Jie closely, so forgive my ignorance when I ask: why is Ke Jie considered to not be in form right now?

Go Ratings suggests that he's doing fine. Jan. 2020: World #2, 3709 -- Jan. 2021: World #2, 3718 -- Jan. 2022: World #2, 3716. Currently still World #2 at 3715.

Do you mean his decline since the heady days of 2015-17, when Go Ratings ranked him #1 and he played the AlphaGo match? Shin Jinseo was only a teenager then, so I think it's more the case that Shin became stronger rather than that Ke Jie got weaker.

Post #125 Posted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:19 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
bugcat wrote:
Quote:
Sponsors wasting money on resources on Shin v Ke when Ke is not in form would be terrible

I don't follow Ke Jie closely, so forgive my ignorance when I ask: why is Ke Jie considered to not be in form right now?

Go Ratings suggests that he's doing fine. Jan. 2020: World #2, 3709 -- Jan. 2021: World #2, 3718 -- Jan. 2022: World #2, 3716. Currently still World #2 at 3715.

Do you mean his decline since the heady days of 2015-17, when Go Ratings ranked him #1 and he played the AlphaGo match? Shin Jinseo was only a teenager then, so I think it's more the case that Shin became stronger rather than that Ke Jie got weaker.

Yes but his ability to go far in international tournaments was his thing, and now he seems to do the opposite. Also there may be some rating inflation going on even in a whole-history rating system.

A Jubango against Shin Jinseo doesn't make so much sense now, but actually, there is a condition in which I think a Yonbango between the two right now would be pretty darn exiting. That's if Ke Jie takes white in all the games, and two of the games are in chinese rules, and the other two are in Korean rules.

Post #126 Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:41 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
Shin Jinseo won 28th LG Cup, defeating Byun Sangil 2-0 on Jan - Feb 1st, 2024.
Looks like he has 7 major international titles
  • LG Cup (2022, 2022, 2024)
  • Chunlan Cup (2021)
  • Samsung Cup (2022)
  • Kuksu Mountains (2022)
  • ING Cup (2023)

He also won Asian TV Cup in 2021, but I don't think that is one of the major tournaments. He needs to do better in Chinese tournaments (MLILY and Bailing). According to Sensei's library, Ke Jie has 7 international titles as well. Although Ke Jie hasn't won an international title since 2020. Is that correct?

Post #127 Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2024 4:43 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
Shin Jinseo defeated Iyama Yuta and the whole Chinese team in the last 6 matches of the Nongshim cup to win it for Korea. So you can say Shin Jinseo won the Nongshim cup. The Chinese have not lost a single match until Shin Jinseo played his first match. Honorary mention to Xie Erhao, who eliminated 3 Korean and 4 Japanese players up to that point.

This post by silviu22 was liked by: swannod

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7