Post subject: Re: 2019 Chinese Pro Qualification and Weiqi Congress
Post #21 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 364
KGS: wolfking6504
Tygem: wolfking97
U-25 Female

1. Zhang Mengyao (张梦瑶)  20 170 22.5 (EQ 10 wins in first 11 rounds)
2. Li Sixuan (李思璇)  20 184 23.7 (EQ 10 wins in first 11 rounds)

The 2 players above earned pro status through Early Qualification

3. Li Xuemeng (李雪萌)  22 210 28.1
4. Li Xiaoxi (李小溪)  20 224 27.4
5. Wang Meicheng (汪美成)  20 218 26.8
6. Wei Xintong (魏欣桐)  18 214 24.5
7. Mao Yanxin (毛彦新)  18 210 24.1
8. Yu Jingying (于靖莹)  18 206 23.7
9. Chen Manqi (陈蔓淇)  20 182 23.6
10. Xu Jingqi (徐晶琦)  18 194 22.6

Players above earned pro status.

Note number 4 Li Xiaoxi has exactly same name (even in Chinese characters. Literally 小 means little and 溪 means brook) as Li Xiaoxi 3p in the WAL, so likely they will be distinguished by a tag indicating their birth year or a tag indicating little/big. I have already seen a table with Li Xiaoxi 1p's name listed as Li Xiaoxi 05.

Li Xiaoxi 1p
Attachment:
r1_李小溪_副本.jpg
r1_李小溪_副本.jpg [ 102.08 KiB | Viewed 9217 times ]

11. Song Yiwen (宋怡雯) 18 192 22.5
12. Xu Haizhe (徐海哲) 18 190 22.3

Players above were issued 6D certificates. Xu Haizhe was born in 2008 so she has many more chances to get her shodan cert.

Xu Haizhe 6D in round 13
Attachment:
r13_徐海哲_副本.jpg
r13_徐海哲_副本.jpg [ 73.24 KiB | Viewed 9217 times ]

Pan Tianxing 5D from the CL finished at 26th place with 8 wins. 2019 World Collegiate Amateur women's group champion Xie Jiaxuan 6D finished at 46th place with 7 wins. She finished 11th last year so I though she had a good chance to turn pro this year. On the flip side Xu Jingqi 6D finished at 12th last year. This year she improved by 2 spots at 10th to get her pro cert!

15 year old Xu Jingqi 1p
Attachment:
r1_徐晶琦_副本.jpg
r1_徐晶琦_副本.jpg [ 88.48 KiB | Viewed 9217 times ]

This post by wolfking was liked by 2 people: silviu22, tim

Post #22 Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:57 pm 
Lives in gote

Adult group

Male

1 Li Yuanqi (李元祺) 18 154 24.11
2 Yu Qingquan (于清泉) 18 146 23.22
3 Su Guangyue (苏广悦) 16 150 21.67
4 Kang Rui (康锐) 16 146 21.22
5 Yuan Sitong (袁斯童) 16 140 20.56

Players above earned pro status

6 Sun Yiguo 孙宜国 16 138 20.33

49 year old Sun Yiguo missed last qualification spot by 2 opponent points. Had he made pro he would certainly be the oldest ever new pro. The 5 players that did earn pro status were all born in the 90's, with 26 year old Li Yuanqi 1p the youngest.

Li Yuanqi 1p
Attachment:
李元祺_副本.jpg
李元祺_副本.jpg [ 75.43 KiB | Viewed 9187 times ]

Yu qingquan 1p
Attachment:
于清泉_副本.jpg
于清泉_副本.jpg [ 62.07 KiB | Viewed 9187 times ]

Female

1 Gao Yongmei (高咏梅) 12 54 14
2 Yao Jiahui (姚佳慧) 12 46 12.67

Post #23 Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:51 pm 
Lives in gote

This year we are getting less coverage on the PQT, maybe because there were too many events going on in the CWC and the reporters and media simply got overwhelmed (probably including me. I thought I could cover both but found that I did not have enough spare time to even briefly mention the 30 some events in the CWC). In the past I could find 50 to 80 photos each round just from Sina Sports. This year I only got 20 some photos in the first round from Yikeweiqi. And days after the PQT finished a brief summary of all 37 new pros were nowhere to be found. I guess I have to compile my own summary here.

So this is what I will do. It might take couple of weeks to finish. But I will post info for each new pro, supply photo if I can find one.

I will follow the timeline and start with female adult group.

1. Gao Yongmei(高咏梅) 1p

Born 1988 in Guangzhou, Guangdong Province. Her dad was a Go teacher so she learned about Go early but did not start serious learning until she was in grade school. Her impression about Go from that time was "simple and fun". Soon she became the best player in school club and start to win championships at city and provincial level. In fifth grade she was recruited into Guangdong's provincial team. At age 15 she was selected into the National Team. In 2010 she won pair Go championship in 4th National Sports Games. Incidentally our other new pro Yao Jiahui also participated and finished 4th. Current women's number one Yu Zhiying was in the field too and finished 8th.

When in Beijing training with the National Team Gao Yongmei participated in several PQT but could not break through. After the last failed try before she exceeded the age limit she was really depressed and fell ill for a long time.

After returning to Guangzhou she joined Guangdong Eastlake Go Institute to teach Go and even took classes in preschool education. She never thought that she would get another chance to fulfill her pro dream.

Goa Yongmei 6D (Right) vs Xu Ge 6D (another 2019 new pro in U25 group) in 2016 Shenzhitian Cup
Attachment:
高咏梅_xuGe.jpg
高咏梅_xuGe.jpg [ 56.7 KiB | Viewed 9116 times ]

2. Yao Jiahui (姚佳慧) 1p

Born 1990 in Luoyang, Henan Province. She is the 9th female pro of Luoyang. She has won 2nd place in Luoyang King of Weiqi and championship in National Collegiate Amateur Tournament. She operates a Weiqi classroom in Shanghai together with her husband. A pro cert certainly will not hurt her business.

By the way there were several new pros this year are from Luoyang. Luoyang is a city of rich Weiqi tridition and has the nickname "City of 100 Dan". After this year Luoyang's pro number increased to 38 and total number of Dan reached 142. Both numbers are second only to Shanghai.

This post by wolfking was liked by 5 people: dfan, ez4u, silviu22, tim, veikko

Post #24 Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:55 pm 
Lives in gote

3. Li Yuanqi(李元祺) 1p

Born 1993 in Luoyang, Henan Province. Second Luoyang new pro of class 2019. Li Yuanqi showed talent at a young age and was the challenger to Luoyang King of Weiqi at age 11. Unfortunately the final were cancelled due to various reasons. In 2014 he came back to win the challenger tournament again and beat our other Luoyang new pro Su Guangyue to win the King of Weiqi title.

Li Yuanqi had studied in Beijing Ma Xiaochun dojo and participated in couple of PQTs. After exceeding the age limit (at the time there were U17 and U25 groups, with only 3 certs from U25 group) he focused on study and was admitted to Shanghai Foreign Language University in 2013. In 2016 he won the 4th place in Collegiate Ing Cup. He has been a regular fixture in Shanghai's Super League. He also finished 2nd in the 2019 Yuan 19 Cup New Shodan Challenge.

Li Yuanqi 1p in 2019 Yuan 19 Cup
Attachment:
r3_李元祺_副本.jpg
r3_李元祺_副本.jpg [ 98.92 KiB | Viewed 8962 times ]

4. Yu Qingquan(于清泉) 1p

Born 1992 in Dalian, Liaoning Province. Started learning Go at age 5. At age 16 he went to Beijing to start Go for 3 years. From 2001 to 2011 he participated in the PQT for 10 times! The closest he came to be a pro was year 2009 and 2011. In 2009 he just needed 1 win in the last 3 rounds but lost all. In 2011 he started with 6 wins 1 loss, but could not get the last few wins in the final 6 rounds.

After exceeding age limit in 2012 he went to Wuhan Sports University like Yao Jiahui did. In his spare time he went to university Weiqi club to help teach kids. One of the parents suggested that he open a teaching classroom himself. Later he joined Wuhan Sanrensei Weiqi Institute and became the head coach. One of his students was 2019 new pro Li Xinchen.

Yu Qingquan has been active in amateur tournaments. In 2014 he finished in top 4 of Chenyi Cup. In 2015 he won 2nd place in Fengcheng Cup. In 2016 he played his way into the final of CCTV's Who Is The King of Weiqi reality show, lost in the final to Hu Yuqing 8D. In 2019 he also won the 2nd place in the prestigious Evening Post Cup.

In the PQT he won 9 out of first 10 rounds and was guaranteed a pro cert regardless of last round result. That day he wrote in his blog: "9 wins in 10 rounds, pro player Yu Qingquan. 5 learned Weiqi, 27 made pro, played hard for 22 years. High age turning pro is not too late, I want to play another 70 years."

Yu Qingquan 6D (Right) vs Hu Yuqing 8D in 2016 Who Is The King of Weiqi final
Attachment:
于清泉vs胡煜清_副本.jpg
于清泉vs胡煜清_副本.jpg [ 72.86 KiB | Viewed 8962 times ]

This post by wolfking was liked by 3 people: ez4u, silviu22, tim

Post #25 Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:39 pm 
Lives in gote

5. Su Guangyue (苏广悦) 1p

Born 1992 in Luoyang, Hanan Province. 3rd Luoyang new pro this year.

Su Guangyue learned about Go at a very early age by watching his dad playing neighbors in the front yard. At 5 he had learned enough to start giving suggestions to the adults. Still he did not start serious learning until he was in elementary school. The first year in elementary school his dad enrolled him in a Go class. The Go class met 4 or 5 times a week, each class lasted 5 hours. Dad accompanied him to all classes, and recalled that he never lost concentration during those 5 hour long classes. After one year study he was already stronger than his dad. Dad had to take him to local clubs to find worthy opponents.

In 2001 dad enrolled him in a training class by Henan provincial team so he could receive pro teaching. The cost of the class was about 200 USD a month. It was not much by today's standards, but at the time his dad only made a little more than 100 USD a month. Dad had to work several jobs to make ends meet.

The training paid off and Su Guangyue started to win tournaments. The next step was to go to Beijing to further his study. But this time dad did not go with him, likely due to the high cost of living in the capital city. Su Guangyue recalled that as a young kid living in the big city he always felt homesick, but it was thoughts of home and family made him work harder, because he knew how much his parents had sacrificed for him.

Su Guangyue tried couple times in the PQT before exceeding the 17 age limit. In 2011 he was admitted to Shanghai Foreign Language University to study law. University life took away some training time but he never stopped playing and studying Go. He won Luoyang King of Weiqi in 2013, and runner up at World Students Go Oza the same year. In 2015 he was selected again to represent China (he qualified by winning the Collegiate Ing's Cup previous year) at World Students Go Oza and won championship. In 2017 he won one of the top amateur events, the 31st Huanghe (means the Yellow River) Cup, and became the 15th 7D in China. 7D is so rare (only a handful of national events issue 7Ds) that I consider it even harder to get than the pro cert. Su Guangyue was the 2nd Luoyang player to get a 7D. The other Luoyang 7D before Su Guangyue was Shi Yue 9p, who won the Evening Post Cup at a tender age of 12.

After turning pro Su Guangyue quickly won his first pro event at the Yuan 19 Cup. Maybe he can follow the footsteps of Shi Yue and go much further in his still young career?

Su Guangyue holding Huanghe Cup trophy
Attachment:
苏广悦首捧黄河杯.jpg
苏广悦首捧黄河杯.jpg [ 151.17 KiB | Viewed 8899 times ]
Certificates and trophies won by Su Guangyue
Attachment:
苏广悦证书.jpg
苏广悦证书.jpg [ 48.76 KiB | Viewed 8899 times ]

Post #26 Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:10 pm 
Lives in gote

6. Kang Rui (康锐) 1p

Born 1990 in Wuhan, Hubei Province. Unlike many other new pros, Kang Rui did not have formal training growing up. He had participated in PQT three times before but never got close to promotion. 2014 was the last year he tried before exceeding the 25 age limit. But he persisted in his pursuit of Go career. He joined Yixing Weiqi in Suzhou, Jiangsu Province as a Go teacher and regularly participated in amateur tournaments. In 2017 and 2018 he was runner up both times in Suzhou King of Weiqi adult group. In 2019 he finished 3rd in Jinling Cup behind Bai Baoxiang 7D and He Xin 6D (He Xin is a former 4p who gave up pro status to play amateur events).

His Fox Server id was "拒绝放弃",meaning "refuse to give up". I think it was this Never Give Up spirit that propelled him to success.

Kang Rui 1p
Attachment:
康锐_副本.jpg
康锐_副本.jpg [ 53.04 KiB | Viewed 8841 times ]

Post #27 Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:24 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
wolfking wrote:
U-25 Female

12. Xu Haizhe (徐海哲) 18 190 22.3

Players above were issued 6D certificates. Xu Haizhe was born in 2008 so she has many more chances to get her shodan cert.

Xu Haizhe 6D in round 13

Xu Haizhe 6D looks very intense and determined!

Post #28 Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:22 am 
Lives with ko

wolfking wrote:
5. Su Guangyue (苏广悦) 1p

Born 1992 in Luoyang, Hanan Province. 3rd Luoyang new pro this year.

Su Guangyue learned about Go at a very early age by watching his dad playing neighbors in the front yard. At 5 he had learned enough to start giving suggestions to the adults. Still he did not start serious learning until he was in elementary school. The first year in elementary school his dad enrolled him in a Go class. The Go class met 4 or 5 times a week, each class lasted 5 hours. Dad accompanied him to all classes, and recalled that he never lost concentration during those 5 hour long classes. After one year study he was already stronger than his dad. Dad had to take him to local clubs to find worthy opponents.

In 2001 dad enrolled him in a training class by Henan provincial team so he could receive pro teaching. The cost of the class was about 200 USD a month. It was not much by today's standards, but at the time his dad only made a little more than 100 USD a month. Dad had to work several jobs to make ends meet.

This story explains why the Chinese are so strong. It took 20 years for someone like Su Guangyue to become pro even though he would study more than 20 hours a week when he was 7? The Asians take go very seriously - I am not convinced the Western players would ever become so strong.

Also, you need a lot of regular people to play go so their kids will want to start playing when they are very young.

Post #29 Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:10 am 
Lives in gote

silviu22 wrote:
Xu Haizhe 6D looks very intense and determined!

Yes she is a very promising young star, maybe next Wu Yiming. There are not many 11 year old 6Ds in China. In this year's Bailing Cup she participated in the youth group (top age group, 15 or older) instead of her own age group and still won 1st place (2nd place is 2019 new pro Chen Manqi). She is from Zhenjiang, Jiangsu which is only two hours drive from Wu Yiming's hometown Wuxi. I expect her to make pro next year, maybe through EQ like Wu Yiming did.

This post by wolfking was liked by: silviu22

Post #30 Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:49 am 
Lives in gote

silviu22 wrote:
This story explains why the Chinese are so strong. It took 20 years for someone like Su Guangyue to become pro even though he would study more than 20 hours a week when he was 7? The Asians take go very seriously - I am not convinced the Western players would ever become so strong.

Also, you need a lot of regular people to play go so their kids will want to start playing when they are very young.

I do think some Western players can be strong enough to compete with Chinese pros, but it will be hard to get to the level of the top pros like Ke Jie, Mi Yuting, Tang Weixing etc. And the reason is precisely what you said, because of the sheer number of children in China that take Go seriously and start learning at a very young age. This years' Little Bailing Cup had 1023 participants. In Shanghai there are Go schools that have thousands of kids studying Go in one school. I read somewhere that in Shenzhen, Guangdong Province along there are more than 100 thousand kids studying Go. Even with that kind of base Shenzhen only produced two pros since 2002: Zhou Ruiyang in 2002 and Huang Yiming in 2015. To create top pros, you really need huge number of young kids taking up Go. And once you reached pro level, I think you need a good competitive environment to improve quickly. That means many similar level pros and high level competitions. For now I only see that in the big three Asian countries.

Post #31 Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:43 pm 
Lives in gote

I decided to change the style a little. I will include Fox Server Id if I can find one. This way if you are interested you can copy paste the ID into the search box of Fox Server client and replay/watch live games.

7. Yuan Sitong (袁斯童) 1p

Birth Year: 1990
Birth Place: Nanjing, Jiangsu Province
Fox Server Id: 大刀胡乱冲

Tournament Results:
2008 Jiangsu Youth Weiqi Championship Group A Champion
2011 Grand Canal Cup National Weiqi Team Competition 2nd Place
2013 Fengzuihuang Cup Invitational Runner up
2014 Hangzhou Shanglu Cup 4th
2016 Longnan National Open Championship 3rd place (promoted to 6D)
2016 Qingshuitan Cup National Open Championship champion
2019 PQT Adult Male Group 5th (promoted to 1p)

Yuan Sitong graduated from Nanjing University of Posts and Telecommunications. He has been teaching Weiqi since 2009 as an instructor at Nanjing Sanrensei Weiqi Center. Near 100 of his students has been promoted to 5D.

Yuan Sitong 1p
Attachment:
袁斯童6段.jpg
袁斯童6段.jpg [ 167.59 KiB | Viewed 8625 times ]

This post by wolfking was liked by 2 people: ez4u, tim

Post #32 Posted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:40 pm 
Lives in gote

8. Zhang Mengyao (张梦瑶) 1p

Birth Year: 2004
Birth Place: Beijing
Tygem Id: 梦不遥远, 下水猫
Fox Server Id:

Tournament Results:
2015 National Youth Competition Girls Group 2nd Place
2017 National Youth Competition Female Youth Group Champion
2017 National Games Women's Amateur Group 3rd Place
2018 National Women's Amateur Championship Group A Champion (promoted to 6D)
2019 PQT U-25 Female Group 1st Place (EQ promoted to 1p)

Zhang Mengyao (right) vs Luo Jingyue in round 10
Attachment:
第十轮张梦瑶(右)对阵罗婧玥_副本.jpg
第十轮张梦瑶(右)对阵罗婧玥_副本.jpg [ 89.96 KiB | Viewed 8619 times ]

Post #33 Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:28 am 
Lives in gote

9. Li Sixuan (李思璇) 1p

Birth Year: 2006
Birth Place: Lianyungang, Jiangsu Province
Age started lerning Go: 5 1/2
Tygem Id: 弈代天骄, 灌南小李
Fox Server Id: 暖阳阳7

Tournament Results:
2012 "Little" Bailing Cup National Youth Competition Preschool Group (age <= 6) 1st Place
2015 "Little" Bailing Cup National Youth Open Group B (age 9-10) female 1st Place
2017 "Little" Bailing Cup National Youth Open Youth Group (age >= 15) female 1st Place
2017 Guobailing Cup Open Championship Female 1st Place
2017 National Weiqi Championship Female Children's Group 2nd Place
2018 National Weiqi Championship Female Youth Group 2nd Place
2018 Taohuaquan Cup Female 1st Place
2018 Shanglu Cup International Invitational Female 1st Place
2019 PQT U-25 Female Group 2nd Place (EQ promoted to 1p)

Li Sixuan is the second pro of Lianyungang city. First one was Tu Xiaoyu 5p who made pro in 2015.

Li Sixuan was a member of WBL team Chengdu Sports Investment which made to the A-League this year. There is a good chance that we will see her in next year's WAL.

Li Sixuan in quarter final of Yuan 19 Cup New Shodan Competition
Attachment:
r3_李思璇_副本.jpg
r3_李思璇_副本.jpg [ 94.33 KiB | Viewed 8560 times ]
Li Sixuan (Left, 5D at the time) beat 2019 new pro Wang Meicheng (6D at the time) in 2019 WBL 4th round
Attachment:
r4_LiSixuan_WangMeicheng.jpg
r4_LiSixuan_WangMeicheng.jpg [ 37.15 KiB | Viewed 8560 times ]

This post by wolfking was liked by: tim

Post #34 Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:06 pm 
Lives in gote

10. Li Xuemeng (李雪萌) 1p

Birth Year: 2001
Birth Place: Baoding, Hebei Province
Age started lerning Go: 5
Go School/Dojo: Ge Yuhong Dojo
Times participated in PQT: 7
Tygem Id:
Fox Server Id: M123风

Tournament Results:
2016 1st National Women's Amateur Championship Group A (Open Group) Champion (promoted to 6D)
2017 1st Asian Female Baduk Tournament Individual Champion/Member of Championship Team
2019 5th Qiyuan Cup National Amateur Open Female 1st Place
2019 1st Tengchong Cup National Amateur Open Female 1st Place
2019 PQT U-25 Female Group 3rd Place (promoted to 1p)

Li Xuemeng's dad was a amateur Go player, and his idea of quality time with daughter was taking her to Hao's Weiqi School nearby to watch people play Go. When he found that his daughter enjoyed watching, he enrolled her in the Go school. She improved quickly and was a 4D at 6th grade. But somehow it was difficult for her to get to 5D. Her coach Zhang Yunfei 6D suggested that she go to Beijing to study at a pro dojo. Her parents were not sure but she persuaded them to let her go. She studied at Ge Yuhong Dojo for a few years before going back to Baoding to continue her regular school.

In 2016 she won the National Women's Amateur Champion to get her 6D. In 2017 she represented Hubei Province in the National Games and won all 9 games in team competition. Team Hebei won silver behind Jiangsu (that was Wu Yiming's team and she won gold medal that year).

Li Xuemeng in 2017 National Games
Attachment:
2017NationalGames_Lixuemeng.jpg
2017NationalGames_Lixuemeng.jpg [ 33.98 KiB | Viewed 8526 times ]

Post #35 Posted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:05 pm 
Lives in gote

11. Li Xiaoxi (李小溪) 1p

Birth Year: 2005
Birth Place: Tai'an, Shandong Province
Age started learning Go:
Go School/Dojo: Hangzhou Go School
Times participated in PQT: 5
Tygem Id:
Fox Server Id: jingwoxin/佛晓09

Tournament Results:
2016 1st National Women's Amateur Championship Group B (Age <= 12) Champion
2018 1st Liaohe Cup Female 1st Place
2019 32nd Evening Post Cup Female 1st Place
2019 12th Fengcheng Cup Female 2nd Place (1st place was Wang Zishen 1p. Fengcheng Cup allows some female pros to participate)
2019 33rd Yellow River Cup Female 2nd Place (1st place was 2019 new pro Mao Yanxin)
2019 2nd Liaohe Cup Female 1st Place
2019 9th Qingdao Publishing Cup Female 1st Place
2019 4th Guofan Cup Female 1st Place
2019 PQT U-25 Female Group 4th Place (promoted to 1p)

We already mentioned that Li Xiaoxi (born 2005) 1p's Chinese name is exactly same as Li Xiaoxi 3p (born 1994). There are currently 4 pairs of pros having exactly the same name. Here is the list:

Code:
Name         Birth Year
Li Xiaoxi 90 | 1994
Li Xiaoxi 00 | 2005
Li Ying 70   | 1974
Li Ying 80   | 1988
Yang Yi 80   | 1984
Yang Yi 90   | 1995
Wang Shuo 90 | 1994
Wang Shuo 00 | 2003

Two digit numbers were used to indicate the decade they were born. Sometimes their name is also tagged with last two digits of their birth year, eg. Li Xiaoxi 05. Another method to distinguish them is to use "大"(big/senior), "小"(little/junior).

Li Xiaoxi in 2019 Guofan Cup
Attachment:
2019_GuofanCup_李小溪_副本.jpg
2019_GuofanCup_李小溪_副本.jpg [ 88.07 KiB | Viewed 8426 times ]

Post #36 Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 pm 
Lives in gote

12. Wang Meicheng (汪美成) 1p

Birth Year: 1999
Age started learning Go: 5 1/2
Go School/Dojo: Wang Jianhong Weiqi Institute
Times participated in PQT: 9
Tygem Id: 欢乐棋侠
Fox Server Id: wkdyg

Tournament Results:
2008 National Youth Championship Children‘s Group (Age <= 10) Champion
2016 2nd Shanglu Cup Female 2nd Place(1st place was North Korea player)
2017 16th Tianda Cup Female 1st Place
2018 6th Huaian Cup Female 1st Place
2018 Biguiyuan Cup National Grade School Championship High School Female 1st Place
2018 PQT U-25 Female Group 12th Place (promoted to 6D)
2019 PQT U-25 Female Group 5th Place (promoted to 1p)

Wang Meicheng is the daughter of Wang Jianhong 9p so it is no surprise that she started early. But Wang 9p said that it was not the plan to make his daughter a Weiqi pro. Wang 9p's Weiqi Club was opened in 1997 in Beijing. At the time Weiqi Club/Dojos were actually rare in China so Wang 9p had to find out how to manage it by trial and error. When Meicheng was born, he was extremely busy and had to take his daughter to the dojo to care for her. Meicheng got interested in Go simply by playing in the dojo and watching people play. Wang 9p decided to teach her only after he found out that Meicheng was very interested in Go and good at it too.

Meicheng won her first national championship in 2010 at age 10. But still her road to pro status was not smooth sailing all the time. She tried her luck 8 times before this year and had to watch many younger girls became stronger than her and earn pro status before she did. Even after she earned 6D last year by finishing 12th in PQT, Wang Jianhong 9p did not want to put pressure on his daughter and said that she did not have to be a pro to be successful and she could still contribute a lot to Go education as a strong amateur (Meicheng had been helping out in his dad's Go Institute while attending high school).

After making shodan, she said in a interview that she still would concentrate more on Go education than tournament play. Her goal was to bring Go to the world not just China and East Asia.

13 year old Wang Meicheng in 2013 China-Korea Amateur Win and Continue Tournament
Attachment:
汪美成2013招商地产杯中韩业余围棋擂台赛.jpg
汪美成2013招商地产杯中韩业余围棋擂台赛.jpg [ 58.26 KiB | Viewed 8363 times ]
Wang Meicheng in round 4 of 2019 WBL (sitting right behind her is Team Europe)
Attachment:
2019WBL_r4_汪美成_副本.jpg
2019WBL_r4_汪美成_副本.jpg [ 89.41 KiB | Viewed 8363 times ]
First father-daughter pro pair in China
Attachment:
汪美成和父亲汪见虹.jpg
汪美成和父亲汪见虹.jpg [ 33.02 KiB | Viewed 8363 times ]

Last edited by wolfking on Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #37 Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:16 pm 
Lives in gote

13. Wei Xintong (魏欣桐) 1p

Birth Year: 2005
Age started learning Go:
Go School/Dojo: Hangzhou Go School
Times participated in PQT: 3
Tygem Id:
Fox Server Id: animato

Tournament Results:
2017 National Women's Amateur Championship Group B (Age <= 12) 4th Place
2017 National Youth Championship U16 Group Female 6th Place
2018 National Youth Championship U16 Group Female 3rd Place
2018 Biguiyuan Cup National Grade School Championship Middle School Group Female 1st Place
2019 PQT U-25 Female Group 6th Place (promoted to 1p)

Born 2005 in Beijing, Wei Xintong had trained at Beijing Youth Go Institute since she was an amateur 2D under the tutelage of Wang Xiangyun 3p, who was the head coach of the institute's youth team at the time. Later she also trained in the Pro Preparation Class at Hangzhou Go School.

Xintong's Parents recalled that in August 2016 Beijing Youth Go Institute organized a trip to Korea during the Samsung Cup and it left a deep impression in young Xintong's mind. Returning from that trip she was even more determined to become a pro player one day. But balancing the life of an aspiring pro-to-be and a regular grade school kid is always very tough. Both require a huge amount of time and the parents were in constant struggle as to whether support their children's dream or returning them to a normal kid's life with more playing time. Fortunately for Xintong, Wang Xiangyun 3p gave her parents affirmative answers when the parents seek counsel with her. She recognize the talent and was very positive about her chance to make pro, even though at the time Xintong was just promoted to 5D.

And she did not let go of her regular study either. She is student of the elite Qinghua University Affiliated Chaoyang School. It just means that she needs to spend more time than others to finish both regular school and Go school works.

Back from PQT she wasted no time to visit Wang Xiangyun 3p at her Xiangyunxing Dojo. She wanted to review her games with her mentor and share her progress.

Wei Xintong at 2019 PQT
Attachment:
weixintong.jpg
weixintong.jpg [ 61.07 KiB | Viewed 8286 times ]
Playing a game with Wang Xiangyun 3p at the dojo
Attachment:
魏欣桐和祥云老师在道场对局_副本.jpg
魏欣桐和祥云老师在道场对局_副本.jpg [ 74.52 KiB | Viewed 8286 times ]
Wei Xintong 1p and Wang Xiangyun 3p
Attachment:
魏欣桐和祥云老师_副本.jpg
魏欣桐和祥云老师_副本.jpg [ 66.05 KiB | Viewed 8286 times ]

Post #38 Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:43 pm 
Lives in gote

14. Mao Yanxin (毛彦新) 1p

Birth Place: Leshan, Sichuan Province
Age started learning Go: 6 1/2
Go School/Dojo: Ge Yuhong Dojo / Hangzhou Go School
Times participated in PQT: 4
Tygem Id:
Fox Server Id:

Tournament Results:
2015 6th Little Bailing Cup Girl's Group A Champion
2016 Young Star International Women's Invitational Team Competition champion team member
2017 National Youth Championship Top Age Group Female 3rd place
2018 National Women's Amateur Championship Group A (Open Group) 3rd Place (promoted to 6D)
2019 1st Gaoshan Cup Youth Amateur Open Championship Champion
2019 33rd Huanghe (Yellow River) Cup Female 1st Place
2019 PQT U-25 Female Group 7th Place (promoted to 1p)

Mao Yanxin started learning Go at Leshan Morning Star Weiqi School in 2011. She did not start as fast as many other pros. It took her more than 1 year to get to 1D. Despite the relatively slow start she really loved Go and parents obliged. She began to receive pro training in 2012. She started to take 1 on 1 online lessons from Jia Yifan 4p in October that year. And from 2012 to 2014 she also went to several dojos in Beijing and Hangzhou for short term training. The training was effective and she improved from 1D to 5D in a little more than 2 years.

The obvious next step was to go to a pro dojo for long term training. At the time Ge Yuhong dojo was still the place to be. She trained at Ge Dojo for two years before moving to Hangzhou for final PQT preparation in 2017.

Mao Yanxin at award ceremony of 2018 National Women's Amateur Championship (from left to right according to finishing order: Zhang Mengyao 6D, Yan Yuying 6D, Mao Yanxin 6D, Li Sixuan 5D, Wang Meicheng 6D, Ren Ke 5D, Chen Chen 5D, Qinghuangdao Shareton Hotel (the sponsor and tournament venue) General Manager Yuan Bincai ) Li Xiaoxi 1p finished 5th but was missing from the ceremony
Attachment:
2018NWAC_top8_副本.jpg
2018NWAC_top8_副本.jpg [ 146.93 KiB | Viewed 8139 times ]
Mao Yanxin 1p beat Cai Lichen 1p in 2019 Yuan 19 Cup
Attachment:
p1_蔡李宸vs毛彦新_副本.jpg
p1_蔡李宸vs毛彦新_副本.jpg [ 88.14 KiB | Viewed 8139 times ]
Mao Yanxin in 2019 PQT 13th Round
Attachment:
r13_毛彦新_副本.jpg
r13_毛彦新_副本.jpg [ 65.51 KiB | Viewed 8138 times ]

Post #39 Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:50 am 
Lives with ko

wolfking wrote:
14. Mao Yanxin (毛彦新) 1p

Birth Place: Leshan, Sichuan Province
Age started learning Go: 6 1/2
She did not start as fast as many other pros. It took her more than 1 year to get to 1D. Despite the relatively slow start she really loved Go and parents obliged.

This pretty funny, considering that we're talking about a 7 year-old. :shock:

Post #40 Posted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:53 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 2
OGS: DoubleSente
@wolfking I just want you to know that you're my hero for posting all this, keep up the great work!