It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Michael Redmond looking for a title?
Post #1 Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:28 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 11
Tygem: shiva
Michael Redmond is on a 5 game streak with wins against some of the past title holders--Otake Hideo, Ishida Yoshio, Kobayashi Satoru, as well as one of the strong players in Japan right now, Takao Shinji. Seems like Redmond is having a good resurgence. He has a lot of YouTube videos with the AGA on AlphaGo, and he seems to be learning from AI, whereas some other pros in Japan don't want to study AI. Well, seems to be paying off for Michael. We will have to see if he can play his way into one of the leagues and have a Cinderella moment.

This post by Hades12 was liked by 3 people: Kirgan, kj01a, silviu22

Post subject: Re: Michael Redmond looking for a title?
Post #2 Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:56 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 24
Was liked: 21
Universal go server handle: kj01a
Wouldn't he be the first western to win any kind of professional title? If that's what he's going for, I wish him luck!

And I wonder if the AGA can get him to do a Redmond Reviews video discussing his current win streak.

Post #3 Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:12 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
It is a nice run including the wins over Kobayashi Satoru and Takao, but it looks like the games are all in the preliminaries still. Does anyone know how many more he has to win to make the main tournaments/leagues?

I believe if he managed to challenge for a big title, that would be a first. He did have a few good results in the main tournaments before: https://senseis.xmp.net/?MichaelRedmond (probably an incomplete list).

Post #4 Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:50 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
kj01a wrote:
Wouldn't he be the first western to win any kind of professional title? If that's what he's going for, I wish him luck!

And I wonder if the AGA can get him to do a Redmond Reviews video discussing his current win streak.

Redmond won a professional tournament in Japan. If you look at his record ( https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/player/htm/ki000174.html ) he has played well during his career, for example he won the 7-dan section of the Kisei tournament when that tournament's first stage was divided into dan sections. He placed second in some tournaments although not winning, and he remains competitive. I don't think he needs to prove anything.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:43 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 9
Was liked: 11
Tygem: shiva
gowan wrote:
kj01a wrote:

Redmond won a professional tournament in Japan. If you look at his record ( https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/player/htm/ki000174.html ) he has played well during his career, for example he won the 7-dan section of the Kisei tournament when that tournament's first stage was divided into dan sections. He placed second in some tournaments although not winning, and he remains competitive. I don't think he needs to prove anything.

Which tournament did he win? Sorry, I can't read Japanese.

edit: Ryuen Cup, which is an invitational for young/low dan professionals. I guess the point is, he is looking to win a major.

Post #6 Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:07 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
gowan wrote:
I don't think he needs to prove anything.

I didn’t get the impression that anyone felt Redmond needed to prove anything. Rather, people simply seem pleased at his recent wins.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:40 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 155
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Well, the effect of a Western win in an Eastern major... I'd venture it might have a certain influence on visibility.

Take care.

Post #8 Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:19 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
hyperpape wrote:
It is a nice run including the wins over Kobayashi Satoru and Takao, but it looks like the games are all in the preliminaries still. Does anyone know how many more he has to win to make the main tournaments/leagues?

He only has to win one more game against Adachi Toshimasa 6p to make it to the main Gosei tournament. See https://gotoeveryone.k2ss.info/jp/gosei/45 for the last Gosei preliminary. So altogether he needs to win 6 more times to to become challenger.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:30 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Talking of a title win because Redmond beat some former top-pros now past their prime and one current one is getting rather ahead of ourselves, but his nice form continued with a win over Kudo Norio 9p in the Judan preliminaries:

This post by Uberdude was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, Kirby

Post #10 Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:52 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
What I like about this is that it's inspiring to me. Michael Redmond is an old guy, and it means that old guys can still do well if they study hard. I'm also an old guy, so it gives me hope. :-)

This post by Kirby was liked by 2 people: Bonobo, gamesorry