It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Go is good for your prostate?
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:32 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4630
Headline of the year so far?

I've been a bit surprised that the newest go tournament in Korea hasn't been mentioned here. Only "a bit" because L19 itself appears to be in another of its self-isolation phases... You don't have to go to work - you should be posting here! Even if you work at home you save all that travel time.

But the new tournament seems very worthy of mention, to me, because it may signal an upturn for Korean go, which, organisationally, has been a bit in the doldrums.

It is the Sawpalcosanol Top Pros Tournament. It is sponsored by a company making an octacosanol from saw palmetto. It is a male nutrient supposedly good for preventing prostate problems. In all the CJK countries there has been a bit of trend for chemical and pharmaceutical companies to sponsor go events. First it was newspapers, then stocks and shares companies, then (especially in Korea) petrol companies. Now its drugs! But a trend is a trend, not a one-off, so that may be one good sign.

Second good sign, for me, is that the time limits are a much more sensible 2 hours each (+ 3x1m byoyomi).

Third good sign is that the new event is in a league format rather than the ubiquitous knockout. Leagues were once the primary format in Korea but were wiped out in favour of Mickey Mouse events. Now one is back. And on top of that, plans for future terms are already known, so it looks like this event may last, for a while at least.

In some ways it resembles the Japanese Kisei. There is a top division of 8 players (in the first term based on ranking), and in future players from lower leagues can percolate up (or down) via lesser divisions. The bottom three in the first division will be demoted. I haven't yet seen whether there will be a title match in future years, with this Division 1 serving to provide a challenger.

One thing about the multi-division leagues like the Kisei (and now this one) is that it takes a long time for a new pro, however good, to filter up. Whether that's a good thing or not is a matter of opinion, but it does provide a modicum of stability for established players. They can count on a decent income and a decent number of decent-quality games a span of a few years at least, instead of being knocked out in Round 1 of knockout after knockout in which they spend just half an hour on a game.

Not quite so good is the prize money. First prize will be 70 million won (about $60,000) and second prize 20 million. But not too bad by recent Korean go standards.

In the first term, the top eight are three quarters of the way through, and so far Sin Chin-seo is romping through his games at 4-0. Kim Chi-seok is second at 4-1, and they play on 7th April if you want to watch out for it.

The others in the top eight, with current scores as of (6 April) are: Pak Cheong-hwan (3-2), Sin Min-chun (2-2), Kang Tong-yun (2-3), Pyeon Sang-il (2-4), Pak Yeong-hun (1-3), and Yi Tong-hun (1-4). All are 9-dans. by the way.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: ez4u

Post subject: Re: Go is good for your prostate?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:32 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
Go is good for your prostate if you use proper technique when placing stones so that the index finger gets lots of exercise.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 1517516376

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by: gowan

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:47 am 
Oza

Quote:
Go is good for your prostate if you use proper technique when placing stones so that the index finger gets lots of exercise.

That's a bum rap. (Brits will understand :))

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:15 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

Robert Downey, Sr. wrote:
With Preparation H you can kiss you hemorrhoids goodbye.

:lol:

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:19 pm 
Oza

Quote:
With Preparation H you can kiss you hemorrhoids goodbye.

Doctor decides to write prescription. Reaches into breast pocket. Pulls out a suppository. "Oh," he says, "some bum's got my pen."

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 5 people: Bill Spight, ez4u, fireproof, gowan, Waylon

Post #6 Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:02 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

:D

Post #7 Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:12 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
I don't know whether Go is good for the prostate but I have some contrapositive evidence of a relation because after having my prostate removed five years ago (cancer), my go has been declining. There may well be a confounding variable, such as age. However, on the good side it has not returned, the cancer not the prostate.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:24 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 81
Was liked: 128
KGS: lepore
My favorite sponsorship/advertisement:

In the late 1980s, Chicago Cubs manager Don Zimmer was paid to endorse Nutrisystem and Popeye's Chicken - simultaneously.

He was seen as a rascal, and somehow could pull it off.