It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amazon army
Post #321 Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:51 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
CDavis7M wrote:
Elom0 wrote:
Ah! I got the impression from a Asahi Shinbun newspaper tweet, https://mobile.twitter.com/asahi_igo/st ... 0172413952

朝日新聞囲碁取材班 @asahi_igo . Sep 13
公)プロ入り後の抱負は「仲邑菫先生のライバルになれるようにがんばりたいです」。そして「世界で通用する棋士になりたい」「(韓国の世界最強棋士)申真諝(シン・ジン・ソ)先生を倒せる棋士になりたいです」。

Oh wow! Kids are silly. This reminds me of when I stumbled upon an old tweet (5 years ago?) where Seki Koutarou was standing next to a cardboard cutout of Iyama Yuta and making some proclamation about challenging him. But, he is a title holder now so I guess he backed it up.

I also get a kick out of reading Japanese when I can sound out the katakana and figure out the English word. "Rival" is not so hard but I had a difficult time with "all star" from some other Tweet. If only I knew all the other words...

Can't forget when Iyama himself said to Umezawa Yukari, maybe, just maybe, he might win one or two titles. That statement proved to be too cute, of course now everyone knows . . .

Unles he was talking about international titles. For that, it's game on!

Post #322 Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:03 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
Unless he was talking about international titles. For that, it's game on!

Not quite. He did win the Bosai and the TV Asia. Admittedly that's like wining the Europa Cup instead of the Champions League, but still...

Post #323 Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:19 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
I was hoping that the cover of Go World (碁ワールド) might see a new face with Nyu Eiko winning the Senko Cup ("women's strongest Go tournament", or something). But not yet. https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/publishing/go_world/

Ueno's win was at the end of June and Nyu's was in July. Though I don't see the Senko Cup in the listing of articles so maybe the games will be covered next month? Ueno Asami definitely seems like a fan favorite. And Eiko winning was an upset to another fan-favorite Sumire. The cover is supposed to sell the magazine after all.

Speaking of Ueno, her women's game against Kato Chie was streamed and there is a clip of commentary by Rin Kanketsu where he discusses tsuke-koshi, which is an attachment [at the "koshi"/waist?] used to cut the knights move. By the way, "hasami tsuke" is the pincer attachment ("clamp") and "furikawari" is a trade (a swinging exchange?). I wish I could follow Rin's commentary better but it really is a neat sequence. He shows variations so understanding Japanese is not needed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0eUQru ... F%E3%80%91

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$W
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X , . . . . . , . . . . . , X . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . O . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . X , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . . O . . . . . . . . . O . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . 3 2 . X O . . . . |
$$ | . . O O . . . . . X . 1 . X O . . . . |
$$ | . O X X . X . . 7 . . 6 . X O X O . . |
$$ | . O O X . X . . X . O . . X O O X . . |
$$ | . X X O O . . . . 4 5 . . X X X O O . |
$$ | . X O X . O . O . . O . X O O O X X . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . O O . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

Post #324 Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:00 am 
Oza

Quote:
tsuke-koshi, which is an attachment [at the "koshi"/waist?]

No. koshi is a verbal form (as it has to be) from kosu = cross over/through. Cf tsukeosae, tsukegiri, tsukesagari etc. I.e the meaning is attaching and crossing over.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: CDavis7M, Elom0

Post #325 Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:11 pm 
Lives in sente

That's good to know because it wasn't making sense before. Glad to have an expert.

Post #326 Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:40 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
General Fujisawa has played a couple of interesting games in the last few days.

She has won the first of two games in the A prelims of the Meijin and the Gosei. That means she still have chances of playing in two main events, besides Judan.

Also, she won her 4th game of the C league of the Kisei, and is one win away from keeping her seat next year (also one defeat away from losing it...)

Soon (29th this month) we will see important games.

Post #327 Posted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:26 am 
Oza

A new recruit for the Amazon Army at the tender age of 99.

Sumino Sachiyo, born in 1923, has just become 5-dan. It's a matter of choice whether you call this a record for a professional promotion, as she is really a semi-professional (but it's a record there, anyway). However, before dismissing her achievement on that ground, do note that she has an excellent pedigree. She was the sister of Kubouchi Shuchi 9-dan, who died recently aged 100 (and he won a few titles). She was also the wife of Sumino Tsunehiro 9-dan (posthumously; he reached 8-dan in actual play).

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: Elom0, ez4u

Post #328 Posted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:39 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
A new recruit for the Amazon Army at the tender age of 99.

wow! She can kick my ass and give me cookies at the same time! :lol: :lol:

This post by pajaro was liked by: Elom0

Post #329 Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:20 pm 
Lives in gote

A new edition of the female Meijin tournament is about to start. I wish it's as interesting as it was last year.

It's a league with 7 players, so that after each day, one of them doesn't play. It makes it tricky to follow and see who is ahead. Why 7 players, I don't understand.
The players are, in this order (by previous results), Nakamura Sumire, Ueno Asami, Xie Yimin, Suzuki Ayumi, Nyu eiko, Kobayashi Izumi and Ueno Risa. In case of a tie, it seems this will break the tie. Last year, Nyu Eiko and Suzuki Ayumi both ended 3-3. Nyu was demoted (although she gained a seat back).

The Ueno sisters will play in their first game. I think it's not their first official game, but I am not sure. Can anyone confirm?

Another interesting thing is that Kobayashi Izumi is back to a big event.

Who will challenge general Fujisawa in April?

Post #330 Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:47 pm 
Lives in sente

Thanks for the preview. I'm excited now too. Seems like the women's tournament coverage has been improving too, right? I guess we'll see.

As for the players, I like Kobayashi Izumi. It seems like she does a lot of good work off the board too. I'll cheer for her. I also like Nyu but she just had a big win. I'm not picky. I just wish for better venues and live streams.

Post #331 Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:16 am 
Lives in gote

This will like some people here:

https://twitter.com/asahi_igo/status/1581891829137838080

Sugiuchi Kazuko 8-dan beat Koda Akiko 4-dan in a preliminary game of the 10th Aidu Cup.

Sugiuchi Kazuko is the widow of the late Sugiuchi Masao 9-dan. And this is news because Mrs. Sugiuchi is 95, close to the record help by her husband, who won a game at 96 years 10 months.

When I read the tweet, I thought that she must play very little and never win. But I was wrong. Her record last year was 0-11, but this year it is (now) 2-7. This is her 2nd victory this year. The first one was on February, against Kikuchi Masatoshi 2-dan, a young player.

Will Mrs. Kazuko break the record?

Post #332 Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:54 am 
Oza

Ueno "Hammer" Asami is getting better and better at a real rate of knots. She has just defeated Ch'oe Cheong 9-dan in the Hoban Cup (the female equivalent of the Nongshim), having already knocked out Li He of China.

Ch'oe's defeat puts Korea in last place and guarantees at least 2nd place for Japan. After Wu Yiming's early exploits, China still has three players left so must be big favourites, but wouldn't it be marvellous if Asami could become the first Iron Goalkeeperess?

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #333 Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:09 am 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
John Fairbairn wrote:
Ueno "Hammer" Asami is getting better and better at a real rate of knots. She has just defeated Ch'oe Cheong 9-dan in the Hoban Cup (the female equivalent of the Nongshim), having already knocked out Li He of China.

Ch'oe's defeat puts Korea in last place and guarantees at least 2nd place for Japan. After Wu Yiming's early exploits, China still has three players left so must be big favourites, but wouldn't it be marvellous if Asami could become the first Iron Goalkeeperess?

Beat Li he 50 seconds ago. I'm not sure that Ueno Asami is any weaker than Fujisawa Rina, but maybe Fujisawa sensei is better at female title matches because she is more used to it.

Post #334 Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:21 am 
Lives in gote

Elom0 wrote:

Beat Li he 50 seconds ago. I'm not sure that Ueno Asami is any weaker than Fujisawa Rina, but maybe Fujisawa sensei is better at female title matches because she is more used to it.

You are right, they seem to be very close. Perhaps there is some style factor here. Ueno is more aggressive and maybe more suited to fight Koreans and Chinese. Perhaps Rina is used to Asami and knows how to counter her style.

There might be some experience factor here. Fujisawa hasn't entered the big leagues (yet) but she is close to other players who play in them.

Post #335 Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 5:29 pm 
Lives in sente

Zhou Hongyu is a different class of opponent I guess

Post #336 Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:33 pm 
Lives in gote

Before the game, Asami said that Zhou was a hard opponent, she always did bad against her... But according to www.go4go.net, their record before yesterday was 1-2 (now 1-3).

Asami is behind, but she has beaten Zhou before. So it might be hard, but not impossible.

Post #337 Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:25 pm 
Lives in gote

Elom0 wrote:
I'm not sure that Ueno Asami is any weaker than Fujisawa Rina, but maybe Fujisawa sensei is better at female title matches because she is more used to it.

They just played the second game of the female Honinbo. Rina won (quite convincingly) and made your doubts a bit cleared.

It seems to me that the gap in their performance against other players is getting narrower. But one on one, general Fujisawa is still clearly above the rest of the army.

Post #338 Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:13 pm 
Lives in sente

pajaro wrote:
Elom0 wrote:
I'm not sure that Ueno Asami is any weaker than Fujisawa Rina, but maybe Fujisawa sensei is better at female title matches because she is more used to it.

They just played the second game of the female Honinbo. Rina won (quite convincingly) and made your doubts a bit cleared.

It seems to me that the gap in their performance against other players is getting narrower. But one on one, general Fujisawa is still clearly above the rest of the army.

Yes I know in domestic Female tournaments, Fujisawa Rina does better. But everywhere else Ueno Asami has had an edge for years.

Post #339 Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:14 pm 
Lives in gote

pajaro wrote:

The Ueno sisters will play in their first game.

Nov 7th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8RwlS-eNMQ

I am sure it will have a lot of followers.

Post #340 Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:47 pm 
Lives in sente

pajaro wrote:
pajaro wrote:

The Ueno sisters will play in their first game.

Nov 7th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8RwlS-eNMQ

I am sure it will have a lot of followers.

Very cool! I bet it will have more views than some title matches.

notify me!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next