It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amazon army
Post #181 Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:08 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
Who is the instructor? Does it matter?

In this side of the world we don't have the chance to know about these details, and in the end, it's all about results.

And results matter, but that's not all. For example, today, Tsuji Hana 2-dan lost to Nakamura Sumire 2-dan (Senko Cup prelims). Both became pros by special recommendation (it had a fancy name, but...), and both are now 2-dan. Sumire is getting all the attention, but the result today was as close as half point. Really close. This result says that Sumire will play the next round and Hana won't. But the game says that the player who is 4-6 now can face the player that is 14-5.

Post #182 Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:31 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 391
Was liked: 162
If I read this right, Fujisawa Rina advanced to the round of 8 in the Tengen: https://nordot.app/883633747611205632?c ... 1839462401

Post #183 Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:52 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
Results aren't posted to the tournament page yet but that must be the case. I was looking at the two players she might be facing next and I thought I recognized Ryu Shikun. Turns out I've seen his YouTube channel in my suggestions.

Good luck to Fujisawa. If she can win again I wonder if we'd get a "celebrity" YouTube stream. I wonder how the association decides which games are important enough.

Not Amazon related but I'm interested to see if Iyama plays Cho U in the Tengen challenger qualifying.

Post #184 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:42 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:

In this side of the world we don't have the chance to know about these details, and in the end, it's all about results.

And results matter, but that's not all. For example, today, Tsuji Hana 2-dan lost to Nakamura Sumire 2-dan (Senko Cup prelims). Both became pros by special recommendation

Well, the very fact that both these players became pros on the basis of their instructors' recommendations, and not on the basis of results, show that instructors matter :)

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #185 Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:37 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
John Fairbairn wrote:
We have a new private in the ranks: Suzukawa Natsumi 1-dan. She's already 18, and is based in the Nagoya Branch of the Nihon Ki-in rather than the prestigious Tokyo one, but she did (taking B lack) beat an 8-dan man in a game I recently looked at.

The commentary on that game predicted a great future for her. I suspect there was a bit of journalistic whimsy there, based on her name (鈴川七海 - a tinkling bell in a river floating out to the seven seas), but the commentator went to the trouble of asking the insei instructor in Nagoya about her, and two things of special interest came up.

One is that Natsumi is apparently a ferociously hard worker. There's been a few references to hard work (quickly crosses himself!) recently in references to female players. It's almost as if this is being seen as a new feature in women's go. That would marry with what Kobayashi Izumi said in a recent interview I described elsewhere on SL - females are now starting to play go earlier and so have more time to work hard on go before the burdens of family life kick in.

The other is that Natsumi is considered especially strong at the endgame. I don't recall ever seeing "strong endgame" and "woman" in the same sentence before, so that's interesting in itself. But even more fascinating is the inference that the instructor must consider other young pros relatively weak at the endgame! So all we amateurs needn't feel so bad.

I'm fairly surprised at that, I thought that Lee Changho made the endgame popular and all pros everywhere mastered the endgame, which is why he's not as dominant anymore. If Cho Hyeyeon's style is anything like Lee Changho's then having the one person he couldn't beat, Rui Naiwei as her main opponent in the female competition is the harshest luck. And especially Choi Jung who is a master of endgame, so I'm surprised that female Japanese professionals aren't associated with strong endgame suggesting they didn't take to studying it in Japan as seriously as the Koreans or???

It's funny when we say that even amateurs can have pro-level opening, based 10 or so moves, but it seems it's more relevant to say even amateurs can have pro-level endgame since it would likely be for more than 10 moves near the end of the game, especially if you're an expert on statistics like Bill Spight :lol:

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

And results matter, but that's not all. For example, today, Tsuji Hana 2-dan lost to Nakamura Sumire 2-dan (Senko Cup prelims). Both became pros by special recommendation

Well, the very fact that both these players became pros on the basis of their instructors' recommendations, and not on the basis of results, show that instructors matter :)

Seconded :)

Post #186 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:31 am 
Lives in gote

Harleqin wrote:
If I read this right, Fujisawa Rina advanced to the round of 8 in the Tengen: https://nordot.app/883633747611205632?c ... 1839462401

Right, Rina won in the Tengen and is now top 8. A big landmark for the Army.

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

Well, it must matter, but... I had in mind that the promotion to pro has to be confirmed by 5 (?) pros, so it's not only the intructor's opinion.

Post #187 Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:50 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
Well, it must matter, but... I had in mind that the promotion to pro has to be confirmed by 5 (?) pros, so it's not only the intructor's opinion.

I'm guessing you may think an instructor is an amateur. Some are, like Sumire's mother. But insei instructors are usually very strong pros. The most terrifyingly famous was Sugiuchi Masao, of whom tales are still told, but none of them treat it as sinecure.

Post #188 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:36 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

I'm guessing you may think an instructor is an amateur. Some are, like Sumire's mother. But insei instructors are usually very strong pros. The most terrifyingly famous was Sugiuchi Masao, of whom tales are still told, but none of them treat it as sinecure.

No, I was thinking that an instructor is a veteran pro. Like in Hikaru no Go, there was an instructor for all insei. And each insei had a teacher (or not).

My idea was that the instructor can think that a insei has a good future, but the decision is up to the group of 5. Maybe, just speculating, the instructor nominates several candidates, and only a few are approved. Or maybe the instructor has a very good eye, (s)he knows the inseis, and the 5 pros confirm the candidate.

Sumire was not an insei, but his father is a pro. Maybe in her case, it was his father who nominated her. Or maybe, people in the NK were already following her.

Post #189 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:53 am 
Lives in gote

An interesting event for the Army:
the Senko Cuo starts tomorrow, with Fujisawa Rina, Ueno Asami, Ayami Suzuki,Xie Yimin and Nakamura Sumire in the Japanese team.
Also playing Yu Zhiying (China), Choi Jung (Korea) and Lu Yuhua (Taiwan).

This is an international tournament. Notice that there is another tournament by the same, in Japan. This one is also known as Female Saikyo.

Two interesting facts:
- This is the 4th edition, and the previous winners are only one player: Yu Zhiying
- Fujisawa Rina and Nakamura Sumire will be playing in the first round. This will be their first official game, and will be played before the important Meijin match (days 14, 16, and who knows if 18)

Post #190 Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:28 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Meanwhile, Takao Shinji Vs Fujisawa Rina, shin ryūsei.

https://youtu.be/lMsC8UOsUnI

Take care

Post #191 Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:06 am 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
pajaro wrote:
An interesting event for the Army:
the Senko Cuo starts tomorrow, with Fujisawa Rina, Ueno Asami, Ayami Suzuki,Xie Yimin and Nakamura Sumire in the Japanese team.
Also playing Yu Zhiying (China), Choi Jung (Korea) and Lu Yuhua (Taiwan).

This is an international tournament. Notice that there is another tournament by the same, in Japan. This one is also known as Female Saikyo.

Two interesting facts:
- This is the 4th edition, and the previous winners are only one player: Yu Zhiying
- Fujisawa Rina and Nakamura Sumire will be playing in the first round. This will be their first official game, and will be played before the important Meijin match (days 14, 16, and who knows if 18)

Choi Jung and Yu Zhiying both out, Japan will have the first international women's tournament winner in many years, perhaps even the first ever female go champion from Taiwan . . ?

Post #192 Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:20 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 37
Was liked: 15
Elom0 wrote:
Choi Jung and Yu Zhiying both out, Japan will have the first international women's tournament winner in many years, perhaps even the first ever female go champion from Taiwan . . ?

Has there ever been a Japanese winner of an international women's tournament?

Last edited by gazzawhite on Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post #193 Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:27 am 
Lives in gote

Elom0 wrote:

Japan will have a winner, or not. The Taiwanese player is still standing, although she was behind for most of the game.

Things look promising, though. And if you compare to all previous editions, the improvement in astounding.

Good game for Sumire, who couldn't win against Rina, although it was close (B+2.5). If you watch the game in youtube, you can see that at first, Sumire is sitting in her chair, like in any game. But as the game goes on and when she loses chances, she starts touching her hair, moving on the chair... she couldn't hide her nervousness.

Rina, on the other hand, has a chance to win an international title, and a boost in morale. Whatever happens might have an impact in the upcoming match against Sumire.

Post #194 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:17 am 
Lives in sente

gazzawhite wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

pajaro wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

Japan will have a winner, or not. The Taiwanese player is still standing, although she was behind for most of the game.

Things look promising, though. And if you compare to all previous editions, the improvement in astounding.

Good game for Sumire, who couldn't win against Rina, although it was close (B+2.5). If you watch the game in youtube, you can see that at first, Sumire is sitting in her chair, like in any game. But as the game goes on and when she loses chances, she starts touching her hair, moving on the chair... she couldn't hide her nervousness.

Rina, on the other hand, has a chance to win an international title, and a boost in morale. Whatever happens might have an impact in the upcoming match against Sumire.

You're both right. History was made on the 8th! So we'll have to wait next year to see if Choi Jung can clinch the only major title in female go she hasn't won yet. Today however it was a Taiwan/Japan v Taiwan match and a Japan v Japan match on the 9th, with the Taiwanese match even up until near the end when Xie made two mistakes in a row, I mean what was so wrong with peep? And the Japanese game ending with resignation in the endgame. It seems that in Japanese female tournaments Fujisawa does better than Ueno, but in everything else Ueno Asami. I still remember when she was playing in the pro exam (and I guess that means Antti Törmänen has officially played two young stars of Japanese go).

Post #195 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:02 am 
Dies in gote

gazzawhite wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

I did some research to try to answer my own question, and the only occasion I could find where a Japanese woman pro won an event that wasn't exclusively Japanese was in 1998 and 1999 when Chinen Kaori won an NEC-sponsored best-of-3 match between the Chinese women's national champion and the Japanese women's Honinbo. So if Ueno Asami wins tomorrow, it will be the first in 23 years for a Japanese woman.

Post #196 Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:12 pm 
Dies in gote

Ueno Asami wins the Senko Cup over Lu Yuhua. Fujisawa Rina finishes 3rd ahead of Xie Yimin.

Post #197 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:50 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 11
Was liked: 18
Some recent changes in female rankings:
- Ueno Asami has gained some ground and moved closer to Fujisawa Rina. However the gap (40 points) is still considerable. Dont expect to see big changes, unless Sumire manages to defeat Fujisawa Rina in their upcoming match.
- Nakamura Sumire has recently moved up from 5th -> 4th -> 3rd in Japanese female rankings (taking over Xie Yimin and Suzuki Ayumi). The ratings are still close though, so anything can happen. Stay tuned.

Previous rankings:
Female rankings on 2022-04-03:

Japanese-only female rankings on 2022-03-18

Please note. The ratings may not appear too important at the moment. However in a few years, if someone wants to travel back in time and know what was going on back then, these may turn out to be more amusing/valuable than we think. We will probably anyway have good written summaries of what was going on, but if you not only want to know what happened, but also "re-live" the moments, you will probably also want to read what people wrote in the comment sections and maybe see some concrete evidence (ie snapshots, photographs, screenshots etc.) of the moments. Anyway. Don't worry. I am not going to post these too often :salute:

This post by Toukopouko was liked by: Elom0

Post #198 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:31 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
How did you get the advanced table on Go Ratings?

Did you have to pay for that?

I only have Rank, Name, Flag and Elo with none of the columns toggleable or reorderable.

Post #199 Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:45 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 24
DGS: bugcat
Oh, I just saw your thread (https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=18650).

Awesome!

This post by bugcat was liked by: Toukopouko

Post #200 Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:22 am 
Lives in gote

CDavis7M wrote:
Results aren't posted to the tournament page yet but that must be the case. I was looking at the two players she might be facing next and I thought I recognized Ryu Shikun. Turns out I've seen his YouTube channel in my suggestions.

Good luck to Fujisawa. If she can win again I wonder if we'd get a "celebrity" YouTube stream. I wonder how the association decides which games are important enough.

Her opponent will be Otake Yu 6-dan. I don't know him, but the fact that he is "only" 6-dan may mean that he's one of those players aiming to the top. Just like Fujisawa.
This game seems like a good candidate for a broadcast in youtube, specially after all the fuss these days. There is no date yet, but it will be after the female Meijin match.

Otake Yu, btw, is 10-2 this year.

CDavis7M wrote:
Not Amazon related but I'm interested to see if Iyama plays Cho U in the Tengen challenger qualifying.

For this to happen, Cho U has to beat Ida Astushi. Difficult game.

This post by pajaro was liked by: Elom0

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next