It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amazon army
Post #161 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:14 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
Today, Nakamura Sumire beat Nyu Eiko in the female Meijin league. Sumire is 4-1 and will play Mukai Chikai the last day. Nyu ends 3-3. If there is a play-off for demotion, Mukai needs to beat Sumire. If not, she is already demoted, because she ranks lower than the remaining players.

Suzuki Ayumi beat Omori ran, too. This means Suzuki is 3-2, will play Ueno Asami the last day, and if both Xie and Sumire lose their final games, she could still be the challenger if she beats Asami.

Ueno Asami has to play Xie Yimin and Suzuki Ayumi. Ueno might not be the challenger, but might be the deciding factor. Only Sumire and Xie can end 5-1.

According to this post:
https://twitter.com/asahi_igo/status/1504384891190153222

there could be a play-off. Asahi is the sponsor of the Meijin, not the female Meijin. But perhaps they know about the play-off.

Post #162 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:07 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
Nyu and Nakamura's game is on Go4Go. I can see that it was broadcast on the U-Gen server but I can't access it without a subscription. I had a trial subscription but that is gone. Does anyone know if there is commentary on Nakamura's game in U-Gen like how there is commentary on the Kisei game?

The variation diagrams (I'm assuming) on U-gen don't work for me though.

Post #163 Posted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:15 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 37
Was liked: 15
pajaro wrote:
According to this post:
https://twitter.com/asahi_igo/status/1504384891190153222

there could be a play-off. Asahi is the sponsor of the Meijin, not the female Meijin. But perhaps they know about the play-off.

There was a playoff last year when Ueno Asami and Suzuki Ayumi both finished on 5-1. So I don't see why the same wouldn't happen this year.

Post #164 Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:17 am 
Lives in gote

gazzawhite wrote:
There was a playoff last year when Ueno Asami and Suzuki Ayumi both finished on 5-1. So I don't see why the same wouldn't happen this year.

The league started last year. Until then, it was a knock-out tournament. So there was no previous history, ratings of the league, etc.

Is one year enough to have a history? I don't know. Until the end of this league, perhaps we won't know 100% sure.

Post #165 Posted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:17 am 
Lives in gote

One more day in the female Meijin league, two more games played.

Nakamura Sumire beat Mukai Chiaki, B+0.5. Closer than it seemed. With this, Sumire will, at least, play a play-off, and Chiaki (2-4) is demoted.

Xie Yimin beat Omori Ran. This result was expected. Now Xie is 4-1 and has to play Ueno Asami next week. If Xie wins, she will finish the league 5-1 and will play a play-off with Sumire. Also, in this case, Asami will be 2-3, and risks demotion. But if Xie loses to Asami, Sumire will become the youngest challenger ever. Ueno will be 3-2, like Ayumi, and they will fight to avoid a play-off demotion with Nyu Eiko who, btw, has beaten both of them in this league. The last game, Ueno Asami-Suzuki Ayami, can be dramatic.

Omori Ran was demoted before today.

The female Honinbo prelims are also ongoing.
Nakazawa Ayako 5-dan beat Kato Tomoko 6-dan, Nyu Eiko 4-dan beat Mori Chisaki 1-dan, and Tatsumi Akane 3-dan beat Hane Ayaka 1-dan.

There were other games today, but I don't know the results.

All these winners (and others), will play the main event.

Post #166 Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:38 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 155
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
I just read at USGo that Tanemura Sayuri was promoted to 3d. Since I was not aware of the name, I checked it out. She seems to be a Kansai area (not association) player in her 40s who's put the effort to raise, little by little. Her profile at SL seems to have a dead link.

I've found what seems to be a decent repo for her games, but since I've had issues with my filters in the past, could someone check it first, before I post it on SL? I'm attaching the games I've been able to extract.

Take care

Attachments:
TanemuraSayuri.zip [33.63 KiB]
Downloaded 219 times

Last edited by Ferran on Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

This post by Ferran was liked by: gazzawhite

Post #167 Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4633
Quote:
I just read at USGo that Taneyama Sayuri was promoted to 3d.

I'm sure you mean Tanemura Sayuri. The GoGoD database has 50 or so of her games.

Post #168 Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:03 am 
Lives in gote

The female Meijin has a challenger. After Xie Yimin losing to Ueno Asami, Nakamura Sumire becomes the challenger. I have already wrote about this in her thread, so I won't bore you repeating the same.

See:

https://www.lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=272016#p272016

Post #169 Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:21 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
I'm sure you mean Tanemura Sayuri. The GoGoD database has 50 or so of her games.

Thanks. Just corrected it.

I have to install a DB manager for GoGoD someday. grep is not the best option. Take care

Post #170 Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:09 am 
Oza

Quote:
I have to install a DB manager for GoGoD someday. grep is not the best option.

Although I suspect that, in centuries to come, our present age will be described, in the way the Bible speaks of a seven-year plague, as a time when a seventy-year plague of Windows updates devastated the world, do you really have to still be a noble Linux rebel? Can Linux not be made to run ordinary Windows programs? If it can, GoGoD comes with its own database program? And there are also things like Kombilo and Drago.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #171 Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
Ferran wrote:
I have to install a DB manager for GoGoD someday. grep is not the best option. Take care
I guess if you're grep'ing then you're not using "GoLibrary2.exe." I don't use GoLibrary2.exe either.

***EDIT: Wait, I think I missed a step that I took because GoGoD only gives you GameData.txt which is delimited by "|" symbols. There's no CSV provided, and you can't just swap | for commas because there are commas in the notes. I did a quick check and I found that you can open a new sheet in Goolgle Sheets and then "Import" a file, like GameData.txt. Then select a custom separator and use "|". And it works.

After the import, I name the sub-sheet "GameData." Then I create another sub-sheet with the name of the player. Then place a filter into a cell of the second sub-sheet that references the first GameData sub-sheet (be sure to hit "enter" key rather than clicking away, I don't know why). You can also check the GoGoD "Names.XML" (whatever it is filed under) for alternate names. Like for Shuwa:

=FILTER(GameData!A:T,(GameData!B:B="Honinbo Shuwa")+(GameData!B:B="Tsuchiya Shuwa")+(GameData!E:E="Honinbo Shuwa")+(GameData!E:E="Tsuchiya Shuwa"))

Hope this helps anyone.

Here's the menu for importing:
Attachment:
SheetsImport.PNG
SheetsImport.PNG [ 23.59 KiB | Viewed 4810 times ]

A newly imported spreadsheet
Attachment:
NewlyImported.PNG
NewlyImported.PNG [ 32.83 KiB | Viewed 4810 times ]

The sheets that I use showing the filter
Attachment:
GoGoD Filter.png
GoGoD Filter.png [ 209.72 KiB | Viewed 4817 times ]

Post #172 Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:40 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
Although I suspect that, in centuries to come, our present age will be described, in the way the Bible speaks of a seven-year plague, as a time when a seventy-year plague of Windows updates devastated the world, do you really have to still be a noble Linux rebel? Can Linux not be made to run ordinary Windows programs? If it can, GoGoD comes with its own database program? And there are also things like Kombilo and Drago.

Hmm... I'm not exactly a Linux rebel. Been that, but my times of compiling the kernel, installing from floppy, trying weird BSD variants are gone. Right now I'm the odd guy in the small farm in the middle of nowhere who doesn't see a reason to get a Ferrari next generation combine when his old tractor will do. This last... decade? Linux has been getting more and more friendly (usually, but not always, for good) and Windows, more and more stable (last time I installed a Windows on a machine I owned was a Windows 7 ß... with a virtual machine; I still didn't keep it, but I was impressed).

Then, using Wine and such... I might try again. It's been even longer. Back then you still needed some... DLLs? from a GNU-ine Windows. I usually think that if the seller wants me to do his job, he should pay me for it. GoGoD is kind of an exception: the product is the information, as I see it, not the software. And it's (as I see it; I don't want to imply anything) more a community service (for which I thank you) than a commercial endeavour. So I'm not quite as set against using emulation.

Even so, it's still time; and my current ToDo List is way to long for comfort.

Take care. Again, thanks

Post #173 Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:43 am 
Lives in gote

CDavis7M wrote:
I guess if you're grep'ing then you're not using "GoLibrary2.exe."

Indeed not. I'll keep your suggestions in mind, and maybe I'll use Google. It looks similar to things I've done with Linux tools, just in the cloud. Still, it's some time I'll have to put to it, and right now I have things with more priority. But it certainly looks doable. I'll have to check the files themselves.

Thanks

Post #174 Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:11 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
John Fairbairn wrote:

Ha, let me compare my collection, and advertise a little, both collection and software.
My copy of GoGoD has 49 of her games. The aeb database has 63.
Differences: GoGoD has 5 games not in aeb, aeb has 19 games not in this copy of GoGoD.

Ferran wrote:

The above was found via
Code:
sgfinfo -player:"Tanemura Sayuri" -r /dir

sgfinfo (from the sgfutils package) allows you to select games on player name, date, handicap, board size, Dyer signature and oodles of other criteria. In a command-line Linux environment this yields lines like
Code:
2005-11-14  31st Shinjin-O  Preliminary  149  B+R  Shuto Shun  Tanemura Sayuri .../Shinjin-O/31/P9.sgf

Post #175 Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:22 am 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 5
Was liked: 33
John Fairbairn wrote:
Can Linux not be made to run ordinary Windows programs? If it can, GoGoD comes with its own database program? And there are also things like Kombilo and Drago.

Yes, Linux can be made to run Windows programs, but that would not be the most convenient approach. These Windows utilities do not do what one needs in a Linux environment. Moreover the Linux utilities are often more powerful.

Post #176 Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:29 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1025
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Oh my, It's a new age for sure with Nakamura Sumire challenging for a title, playing Fujisawa Rina!

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

Don't worry, the Linux revolution is destined to win!

Post #177 Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:41 am 
Lives in gote

aeb wrote:
sgfinfo (from the sgfutils package) allows you to select games on player name, date, handicap, board size, Dyer signature and oodles of other criteria. In a command-line Linux environment this yields lines like

I've used the sgf2* and equivalent, but not much of the rest of sgfutils. Wasn't there a Go themed distribution, back when HnG?

The ammount of fine-tuning required to install Go utilities (Leela, KataGo, Sabaki) is a bit of a hurdle. If I manage to clean my ToDo list a bit, I'd like to see if I can make some packages for both x86 and RasPi...

Thanks for the tip. Take care.

Post #178 Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:51 am 
Lives in gote

aeb wrote:
Yes, Linux can be made to run Windows programs, but that would not be the most convenient approach. These Windows utilities do not do what one needs in a Linux environment. Moreover the Linux utilities are often more powerful.

Fair's fair: if Windows hadn't ditched the command line, there are many things that could be done about as well. There are many issues with graphic interfaces that also pop up when exclusively using desktop environments. For example, I prefer NOT to use the graphic system updater. Information and options tend to get watered down.

Quote:
Don't worry, the Linux revolution is destined to win!

The Linux revolution has, in many ways, already won. Remember pre-Fedora, or Ubuntu. And Android. SteamDeck. Top500. The desktop is not conquered? Sure. And yet, remember back when.

The danger I see is more internal conflict. KDE vs. Gnome, .deb vs .rpm vs. the new packaging formats. X windows servers... I mean, Mint is an extremely user friendly option... with 5 completely different options. And I understand the logic, but I'm not sure it makes for a good selling point with normal users.

Take care.

Post #179 Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:52 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
Linux!? Do you mean this? :-?
Attachment:
Screenshot 2022-04-02 143752.png
Screenshot 2022-04-02 143752.png [ 55.59 KiB | Viewed 4589 times ]

Post #180 Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:49 am 
Oza

We have a new private in the ranks: Suzukawa Natsumi 1-dan. She's already 18, and is based in the Nagoya Branch of the Nihon Ki-in rather than the prestigious Tokyo one, but she did (taking B lack) beat an 8-dan man in a game I recently looked at.

The commentary on that game predicted a great future for her. I suspect there was a bit of journalistic whimsy there, based on her name (鈴川七海 - a tinkling bell in a river floating out to the seven seas), but the commentator went to the trouble of asking the insei instructor in Nagoya about her, and two things of special interest came up.

One is that Natsumi is apparently a ferociously hard worker. There's been a few references to hard work (quickly crosses himself!) recently in references to female players. It's almost as if this is being seen as a new feature in women's go. That would marry with what Kobayashi Izumi said in a recent interview I described elsewhere on SL - females are now starting to play go earlier and so have more time to work hard on go before the burdens of family life kick in.

The other is that Natsumi is considered especially strong at the endgame. I don't recall ever seeing "strong endgame" and "woman" in the same sentence before, so that's interesting in itself. But even more fascinating is the inference that the instructor must consider other young pros relatively weak at the endgame! So all we amateurs needn't feel so bad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 22  Next