It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Amazon army
Post #21 Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:38 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 169
ElomKW wrote:
It just makes sense in the case of mammals for XY's to have their mother's surname and XX's to have there father's surname.

I think for mammals makes most sense to take the mother's name. It is certain who is the mother but never more than strong likelihood about the father.

Different for seahorses and their kin. Perhaps more than one female has deposited eggs in his pouch. Maybe also for the various sunfish if more than one females deposits eggs in his nest.

Post #22 Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 5:44 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 135
Was liked: 2
OGS: Elom hmW K
Universal go server handle: Elom, Windnwater
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:
Hibiki Mishima 1p from the Kansai Kiin made her debut, beating a 9p. I read it but I can't find it

Mishima Hibiki became a new 1-DAN at age 18 in April. She beat Ota Seido 9-DAN in the Tengen Prelims on 19 May. Ota is 73.

Hibiki is from Okayama Prefecture, which is known for producing very few pros - mainly because it has a small population, of course. She may even be the first female pro from that Prefecture. We can at least give her a medal for that. On the other hand, if she hadn't made it as go pro, her aim would have been to become a perfumier. Does that work well in the army?

I happen to have half a mind to become a perfumer too!

The point about hibiki's population printed another note in my mind. When comparing female generals on the shogi board, keep in mind that China's population is 30 times bigger than Korea. Yet even when the Chinese government intentionally tried to surpass Korea with their 30 times bigger population in the game they created and they're only recently surpassing Korea. Korean Baduk was about 50 times stronger than Chinese go and is still 20 times stronger now. Chinese go is stronger than Japanese go. Taiwanese go is Stronger than Chinese go. The future of female go is Japan's but Korea is far ahead in the lead at the moment; the generals I mentioned are the top five on goratings. The population proportions are 60:5:2:1 China:Japan:Korea:Taiwan so check the top 68 (female) players to ascertain how strong countries actually are in the present moment. Queen general Rui Naiwei played in both the Women's Korean Baduk League and Senior's Korean Baduk League. I don't like that in China you can't compete in both the open Weiqi League and the Women's Weiqi league though.

Post #23 Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 8:17 am 
Dies with sente

Choi Jung Qinglong just won her KBA game after 248 moves with white by by resignation. I thought her opponent was ranked lower than her but apparently An Sungjoon is just behind Xu Haohong and in between him and Shibano Toramaru on goratings . . .

Post #24 Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 9:47 am 
Dies with sente

https://www.cyberoro.com/gibo_new/giboviewer/giboviewer.asp?gibo=https://open.cyberoro.com/gibo/202105/usul-choijung.sgf&gibonum=37581&bimg=AnSungJ.jpg&wimg=ChoiJung.jpg

I was surprised to find that the ai they use thinks black starts with 52.5% advantage with 6.5 point Komi in territory scoring. I've only ever hear of AI's that think white has an advantage . . .

On another note, I just found out that Ueno Risa beat Michael Redmond in the Kisei preliminaries, so perhaps he might make a review about that game :).

Post #25 Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 10:10 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 833
ElomKW wrote:
I was surprised to find that the ai they use thinks black starts with 52.5% advantage with 6.5 point Komi in territory scoring. I've only ever hear of AI's that think white has an advantage . . .

At AI levels of play, White has an advantage at 7.5 komi area scoring. And 7.5 komi territory scoring, for that matter. 7.5 is just a lot. The fairest komis you can get under either ruleset at this level are 6.5 territory scoring or 7.0 area scoring.

Post #26 Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 11:03 am 
Dies with sente

lightvector wrote:
ElomKW wrote:

At AI levels of play, White has an advantage at 7.5 komi area scoring. And 7.5 komi territory scoring, for that matter. 7.5 is just a lot. The fairest komis you can get under either ruleset at this level are 6.5 territory scoring or 7.0 area scoring.

I see, and so that also means 7.5 komi under area scoring is like 7.0 under territory scoring?

Post #27 Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:20 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 4080
Xie Yimin has reported back for duty after being AWOL for a time. She did her bit for the army by defeating Yamashiro Hiroshi 9-dan in Round 1 of the NHK Cup.

Mrs Sugiuchi is still playing but is 0-5 for the year so far.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: ElomKW

Post #28 Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:45 pm 
Dies with sente

Liked others: 2
Was liked: 17
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
Bad news. Commander Ueno has been hit and sunk in the attempt to take a seat in Agon-Kiriyama Cup, where General Fujisawa was already waiting.

She lost to Motoki Katsuya 8p in a fierce game, according to @asahi_igo

Post #29 Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:31 am 
Dies with sente

Sumire couldn't do it, but Rina Fujisawa finished her first game in the Kisei C league with a win against Kazushi Tsuruta 6p.

It's her first time playing in the league, so it's a very good start.

Post #30 Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:13 am 
Dies with sente

Today, Xie Yimin played her first game in the Kisei. She played Kobayashi Satoru 9p and won her game.

She had played in the league before, but couldn't keep her seat. So she made it through the prelims again, let's she how she will do.

Post #31 Posted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:53 am 
Dies with sente

Another good result for today: Ayumi Suzuki 7p has beaten Sakiya Numadate 7p in the first game of the last prelim for the Honinbo league. That means she's 2 games away from entering one of the big leagues for the first time.

Actually, she missed a chance a few years ago. That time, she lost the last qualifying game. And besides a seat in the league, it would have meant promotion to 7p.

This post by pajaro was liked by: ElomKW

Post #32 Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:08 am 
Dies with sente

Today were held both semifinals of the Aizu Hospital Cup.

Ueno Asami beat Kato Chie, and Nyu Eiko beat Nakamura Sumire. Next, Ueno Asami will
beat
play Nyu Eiko to gain the right to challenge Fujisawa Rina for the title.

For some reason, there was a ceremony with the 4 players dressed in kimono and posing for photos starting the games. The real games were played in the usual outfit.

Post #33 Posted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:11 am 
Dies with sente

pajaro wrote:

Back to Nyu and Sumire: they are going to play again in the Tachioi Cup. I bet it will be a close game again.

The Tachioi Cup is another name for the Aizu Hospital Cup. And in this case, Nyu won. So yes, Nyu is worth keeping an eye too.

Post #34 Posted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:57 am 
Dies with sente

Today I read something interesting in twitter.

Kana Mannami 4p played in a competition game again after 7 years. I dind't know her, but she is a former female kisei. Not bad. Her return game was agains Yasutaka Sonoda 9p, in the Ryusei B prelim. I don't know him either, but after 7 years... well, I expected her to be rusty, and lose the game. Well, she didn't. She won the game (W+1.5).

Just one more comment in twitter... she is a mother of 3 girls, the youngest one entering kindergarden now. How strange...

Post #35 Posted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:43 am 
Dies with sente

It was a good day today for the army. In the Wu Qingyuan Cup, Nakamura Sumire, Ueno Asami and Ayumi Suzuki won their games. Yie Ximin missed her game by the smallest margin. Overall, quite a success, even more so if you compare to the Japanese performance in the last years.

Post #36 Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:53 am 
Dies with sente

Since the last post, some good things have happened, some bad.

Today, Asami Ueno 4p beat Nishi Takenobu 5p in the semifinal of the Shinjin O. She will fight Sotoyanagi Sebun 3p in a 3 game match for the title.
It is only the 2nd female ever to have reached this final. It is noticeable because, although all "male" tournaments are actually mixed, women don't usually reach the final stages. I think it's just a matter of numbers. Remember, most male players never make it either. So as there are more strong female players, more girls will try to become pros, and so on.

Shibano, Ichiriki, Iyama, Kagen, Yamashita... won this tournament, and some years later (not inmediatly) won other tournaments.

Go, Asami!

Post #37 Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:08 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 86
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
pajaro wrote:
Today, Asami Ueno 4p beat Nishi Takenobu 5p in the semifinal of the Shinjin O.

I don't know if it was her, but a rather new female player almost reached the finals of one of the big ones a couple of years ago. I recall she would have jumped ... five? six? ranks if only she'd won an extra game.

As it is, if she were Kansai Ki'in, she would be eligible for 7p should she win the Shinjin O, but I think it doesn't apply to the NK.

Take care.

Post #38 Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:49 pm 
Dies with sente

Suzuki Ayumi was once 1 game away from entering the Honinbo league (2011?). At that point, she was 6p, I think, so it was a one grade promotion.

She is now 7p, so for inmediate promotion she needs bigger things.

Post #39 Posted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:03 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 101
Was liked: 86
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
pajaro wrote:
Suzuki Ayumi was once 1 game away from entering the Honinbo league (2011?).

Nope, not that one. Ueno Asami, 28th Ryusei, June 2019.

Take care.

Post #40 Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:27 am 
Dies with sente

Ferran wrote:
pajaro wrote:
Suzuki Ayumi was once 1 game away from entering the Honinbo league (2011?).

Nope, not that one. Ueno Asami, 28th Ryusei, June 2019.

Take care.

Actually I think there was a slightly earlier time, in which there were less pros, in which Suzuki Ayumi 7p nearly entered the Honinbō league, I don't know if she was 7p at the time, although among nears in Japan Suzuki 7p is one of seven in the top tier!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next