All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kim Yoonyoung 4d Staying Active in Korea
Post #1 Posted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:17 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 1600
Was liked: 1711
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Many folks probably know about Kim Yoonyoung 4d these days. She was active in BIBA for some time, and got married and moved to Canada. Since that time, she's been active in promoting go, and has attended various go tournaments in the US, including the last in-person US Go Congress, as well as the Midwest Go Tournament that was held in early 2020. Recently, she also lectured at the AGA e-Go Congress.

I was checking news on cyberoro, and she's featured in an article here.

The article discusses her recent win in the GG Auction Cup. She's been staying in Korea for awhile, because she is due to have a baby at the end of August. It looks like she's getting some games in before the baby is due; it might be more difficult after the baby is born. She's up against Yoo Changhyuk 9d, next. He's up by 3 wins in their game records against one another.

Best of luck to Kim Yoonyoung 4d, both in go and in her upcoming childbirth!

Post subject: Re: Kim Yoonyoung 4d Staying Active in Korea
Post #2 Posted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:47 am 
Honinbo

Another article on Kim Yoonyoung: https://m.cyberoro.com/news/news_view.o ... num=527984

Looks like she beat Yoo Changhyuk (in 150 moves). Prior to this, her record against him was 0-3, but this time she won.

The article (and title) notes that it seems she has gotten stronger. Over the time she was in Canada, she had little opportunity to play serious games, however, the article notes that she has had opportunity to practice reading by correcting homework for her foreign students.

Perhaps this is evidence that solving problems that are easy for you could be a way to get stronger...?

Post #3 Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:31 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 4
GD Posts: 26
IGS: MoxElliot
OGS: MoxElliot
She's been fun to watch this summer. I'm glad she grabbed a win before maternity leave. A good omen for her child! She is 8p now as of 2019.

"For we are like tree trunks in the snow. In appearance they lie smoothly and a little push should be enough to set them rolling. No, it can't be done, for they are firmly wedded to the ground. But see, even that is only appearance." Kafka

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:05 am 
Honinbo

MoxElliot wrote:
She's been fun to watch this summer. I'm glad she grabbed a win before maternity leave. A good omen for her child! She is 8p now as of 2019.

Thanks. Both articles here refer to her as 4p, and some sites still do as well: http://m.baduk.or.kr/record/gisa_info.a ... E=10000482 (somewhat "official" site).

However, I did see news about the 8-dan promotion, so I think you are correct. From some sources, I heard that this was a special promotion for teaching abroad.

The sites and articles that refer to her as 4-dan either made a mistake or, maybe, they are distinguishing for some reason.

But anyway, I think it's good to use the 8-dan title.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:25 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 151
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
*If* I'm recalling the right person, she reached 4p but was granted an 8p for some kind of honorary recognition.

Take care

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 10:59 am 
Honinbo

Ferran wrote:
*If* I'm recalling the right person, she reached 4p but was granted an 8p for some kind of honorary recognition.

Take care

Yeah, that's what I mean. The articles and sources I linked earlier refer to her as a 4-dan player. However, she did get this honorary 8p promotion. She even indicates this on her own website: http://yybaduk.mozello.com/biography/

So I think it's appropriate to refer to her as 8p.

I just don't know if the news articles I linked refer to her as 4-dan intentionally or by mistake. Personally, since I think 8p is more appropriate, even if it is due to special promotion - her rank is her rank.

Post #7 Posted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:47 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 151
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Kirby wrote:
I just don't know if the news articles I linked refer to her as 4-dan intentionally or by mistake. Personally, since I think 8p is more appropriate, even if it is due to special promotion - her rank is her rank.

I think some of the sources I saw a while ago where Korean. I'd guess it might be a mixture of both. Some people might simply not be aware, and some might be afraid of some sort of misunderstanding.

As a similar quirk, I was watching the video of Cho Chikun's game in the Ryusei and, like other times, he's referred as Meiō Meijin. Not his rank, but his "honorary" (*) title. Even so, it's specified it's honorífic.

Take care.

(*) Different kind of honour, in the way it was won. Still.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:53 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 37
Was liked: 15
Kirby wrote:
Ferran wrote:

I believe Korean pros that leave to teach abroad are awarded an honorary 8p rank, but if they return to Korea to compete professionally again, they revert back to their prior rank for competitive and promotional purposes. Another example is An Younggil 8p, who teaches in Australia, but would revert to 6p if he returned to competition.

This post by gazzawhite was liked by: MoxElliot

Post #9 Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:17 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 4
GD Posts: 26
IGS: MoxElliot
OGS: MoxElliot
Ahh that makes sense! I hope that means they get the 8P pension!

"For we are like tree trunks in the snow. In appearance they lie smoothly and a little push should be enough to set them rolling. No, it can't be done, for they are firmly wedded to the ground. But see, even that is only appearance." Kafka

Post #10 Posted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:39 am 
Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
I have heard the promotion to 8p for Korean pros teaching abroad is to avoid the situation of a 4p being compared to a 5/6/7d amateur and people ignorant of the difference between pro and amateur ranks thinking 4<7 and therefore the 7d is stronger.

Post #11 Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:02 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 176
Was liked: 488
The 30k is stronger since 8<30.

Post #12 Posted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:03 pm 
Honinbo

jlt wrote:
The 30k is stronger since 8<30.

I see your point. Though, in Korea, they often don't use "p" rankings. For a 4-dan pro, they call them with the title, "4-dan". Kyu/gup is at least a different word.