It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Xie Yimin Promoted to 7d!
Post #21 Posted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:30 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
Interesting 3rd line theme from Cho

Click Here To Show Diagram Code
[go]$$c
$$ ---------------------------------------
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . |
$$ | . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . O . . |
$$ | . . . X . O . . O . . O . . O . O X . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . X X . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . X . . . . . . . . . . . . . X . . |
$$ | . . . , . . . . . , . . . . . , . . . |
$$ | . . O . O . . . . . . . . . O . O . . |
$$ ---------------------------------------[/go]

Post #22 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:23 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 154
Was liked: 117
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
The thing with Japanese games is that, if you blin in a Western game you might miss a ko fight. A Japanese game allows you to get a shower and set up a nice breakfast and they just might have started to decide on the next move. I mean, they've been playing for 6++ hours and they are, kind of, in their 60th move.

And I love it.

Take care

Post #23 Posted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
The thing with Youtube is that no matter where you live and when you log in... :lol: :lol:

Well, the game is over. Xie won and she is now 2 games away from the league. Good luck.

It was a solid win, I think, with a good final attack against Cho Chikun, master of shinogi.

no, she didn't kill any dragon

but you don't have to kill to call an attack a sucess

One of the things that I like about Cho, is that even when he loses, he still have things to teach to younger players.

Post #24 Posted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:24 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 4
GD Posts: 26
IGS: MoxElliot
OGS: MoxElliot
Yeah was a great game to watch! Hard to choose who to cheer for but was on Xie Yimin's side. Would be amazing to see her compete for a major title! (Cho Chikun already has a few)

"For we are like tree trunks in the snow. In appearance they lie smoothly and a little push should be enough to set them rolling. No, it can't be done, for they are firmly wedded to the ground. But see, even that is only appearance." Kafka

Post #25 Posted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:49 pm 
Lives in sente

Since people may check on this thread but and not otherwise be aware. Another of her games in the last preliminary tournament of the Meijin cup is being streamed today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WQC06dZZzY. To make it even sweeter there is no percentage bar to spoil it for the viewer.

Post #26 Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:48 am 
Lives in gote

Hey, hey! She won again! No AI "help" for viewers (because no record keeper either), but after a day of work outside the office, she was still playing and was kind enough to pick a win for her fans ;)

Now she will play Ida Atsushi (who played and won today too) for a seat in the league. It will be a tough game. Ida has played in the Kisei C league this year, not in other leagues other years, that I could find. So although he is 8 dan (8d, 8p, whatever), the gap between them is perhaps not too big. The motivation for both of them will be big.

Good luck.

Post #27 Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:17 am 
Lives in sente

Ida Atsushi has won the Judan title, challenged for the Honinbo and won the NHK tournament, all in 2014-2015. He has also won the Okan cup 6 times straight, this is a local (non-Tokyo) branch tournament of the Nihon Kiin that also includes Hane Naoki. This is certainly the biggest obstacle so far.

Post #28 Posted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:42 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 3
Was liked: 4
GD Posts: 26
IGS: MoxElliot
OGS: MoxElliot
Another great game (and win) for Xie Yimin! She beat Tsuneishi Takashi 4D in a very close game.

I think she is now in the finals of the last preliminary for the Meijin league.

"For we are like tree trunks in the snow. In appearance they lie smoothly and a little push should be enough to set them rolling. No, it can't be done, for they are firmly wedded to the ground. But see, even that is only appearance." Kafka

Post #29 Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:47 am 
Lives in gote

kvasir wrote:
Ida Atsushi has won the Judan title, challenged for the Honinbo and won the NHK tournament, all in 2014-2015. He has also won the Okan cup 6 times straight, this is a local (non-Tokyo) branch tournament of the Nihon Kiin that also includes Hane Naoki. This is certainly the biggest obstacle so far.

You are right... I didn't search back in time enough to find those feats.

Could we say that he is already declining, thus she will win?

;-)

Post #30 Posted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:44 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
pajaro wrote:
kvasir wrote:

You are right... I didn't search back in time enough to find those feats.

Could we say that he is already declining, thus she will win?

;-)

I don't know much about Ida, but I can guess that he is a formidable player from his records at https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/player/htm/ki000427.html

And I can also guess that he is not much fun at parties from his dusty Twitter account (linked on that page)
https://twitter.com/ida_atsushi/status/ ... 26304?s=20
By the way, he follows Xie but Xie does not follow him back. ...Maybe because Ida does not post...

Post #31 Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:59 am 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4626
Quote:
And I can also guess that he is not much fun at parties from his dusty Twitter account (linked on that page)

Any young person who does not use social media is a hero in my eyes, but in any case there is a much more likely explanation than dourness: survival instinct. He is married to female go player Mannami Nao.

Post #32 Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:48 am 
Lives in gote

John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

there is a much more likely explanation than dourness: survival instinct. He is married to female go player Mannami Nao.

He has the same look than in the official Nihon Kiin photo :D

John is probably right: his wife tells him "let's go have dinner with my friends". Then, he may like the plan... or not.

Post #33 Posted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:40 pm 
Lives in sente

The Nihon Kiin just posted a fun article about how everyone adores Xie Yimin and how she is like their oneesan (big sister). I must be missing a lot of background. Maybe this article is a follow up to something? It seems like there are some inside jokes. But to me, she always looks so serious (sinister even) and so this article is news to me - she seems very likeable. I have no way to understand the tone of the author, but the article seems playful, not sarcastic. But I have to wonder.

https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/etc/go_week ... in010.html

From the article:

Post #34 Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:35 am 
Oza

Definitely no sarcasm. I haven't ever paid much attention to Xie Yimin but she is definitely popular and respected.

The article you reference is not really about her. It is about the four-character phrases that are so popular in Japan. There have always been plenty of books on these, but nowadays just about every kids' manga star has a book devoted to them, and I think there are apps, too, now. They are nearly all Chinese phrases and so need explaining to Japanese people. This series is by the pair Tsururin, that is Tsuruyama Atsushi and Rin Kanketsu. This is a take on the ever-popular poetic-sounding Chikurin phrase, but with a bit of a jokey sound, a play on tsururi-to).

Each article is about a particular phrase and then the pair try to find an illustrative example from the go world. The phrase here is 英姿颯爽 (eishi sassou) which means cutting a heroic or valiant dashing figure. It basically refers to men but in sport seems to have a certain popularity (in Japan and China) for use about women who do well in fields (such as sport itself) usually dominated by men. Xie Yimin has certainly done that. She is in the top ten of all players in number of titles won (and the only woman, of course). She is noted for having an aggressive style, but that is usually regarded as a female trait in Japanese go!

As to cutting a dashing figure, despite being Taiwanese, she has always happily succumbed to the ordeal of dressing up in Japanese kimonos for photographers. She looks stunning, but her willingness to embrace traditional Japanese culture is also much appreciated.

Another factor that may have influenced her selection here is that Rin Kanketsu is also Taiwanese. He is older and so can call her She-chan. She studied in Japan with Ko Mosei, also Taiwanese, and the Taiwanese go players in Japan do seem to stick together.

Xie may seem to be "a lady of a certain age" but actually she's still just 30. The point is, she qualified as a pro at age 13.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 2 people: CDavis7M, Harleqin

Post #35 Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:32 am 
Lives in sente

Oh, I didn't know what yojijukugo (四字熟語) were. No wonder! Thank you for explaining. It's more fun than I first thought. Now I wonder if any Go proverbs are actually yojijukugo. But I don't think so because they are too long or too direct. But 一石二鳥 would fit many situations and it includes 石. There are lots of books on yojijukugo. And you can even learn from a cat, my purrferred study method.

And not to spend too much time on Ida here, but I noticed that he was also donned with a yojijukugo: 獅子奮迅 (shishi funjin ?) lion dash/rush -- meaning intense, furious, high-energy, etc. https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/etc/go_week ... in008.html. Here, they use this idiom to describe the fighting style in Go. Though the article suggests that Ida changed his pace after playing Iyama. From the article, Yamashita seems to be the pinnacle of Lion-dash fighting. Even I have heard of his fighting style.

---------

Well, I've been derailed. As these articles say, the main yojijukugo articles are in "Go Weekly." Which happens to be available for free on "Kindle Unlimited". Go World too by the way. Not the most recently published, and not everything in the past, but a lot of the most recent publications.

Recently Mannami Nao (万波 奈穂) 4 dan was donned with a yojijukugo. 八方美人 (happo bijin), which is "8-direction beautiful woman" -- meaning people pleaser or maybe "social butterfly." But this could also be derogatory similar to "two-faced" (from what I've read). So I still sort of wonder what "Tsururin" are going for here. Unfortunately Go Weekly has too many articles on the same page. So while it is high resolution, the individual characters are low-resolution for OCR and even hard for my eyes. Maybe these will be fun to practice my reading later.

Post #36 Posted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:30 pm 
Oza

Quote:
獅子奮迅 (shishi funjin ?) lion dash/rush -- meaning intense, furious, high-energy, etc.

Not quite. It's more like "rushing ahead impetuously" on its own, but it is often used in the 獅子奮迅の勢いで which means "with irresistible force". I imagine that was what was intended in respect of Yamashita.

Incidentally, I think it was you who asked a while back about kanji readings. 獅子 throws up a nice example. This is shishi (lion). But 子獅子 (lion cub) is kojishi. On a scale of 1 to 5 this is just a half a star, but still, it's worth knowing.

As to 八方美人, it's not limited to women, although a base meaning is indeed someone beautiful to look at form all directions, and you can't say that about many fellas, because even if they do look good, the smug look on their face usually ruins the overall impression. Women know better how to present themselves. But it's not just about looks, anyway. It often has an extended positive meaning of affable, but also sometimes a negative one of "a friend to all is a friend to none."

I didn't read the Mannami article, but I'd imagine that was meant was "affable", or just possibly they had in mind the Handsome Nell of Rabbie Burns's first poem:

O Once I lov'd a bonnie lass,
An' aye I love her still,
An' whilst that virtue warms my breast,
I'll love my handsome Nell.

As bonnie lasses I hae seen,
And mony full as braw;
But for a modest gracefu' mein,
The like I never saw.

A bonny lass I will confess,
Is pleasant to the e'e,
But without some better qualities
She's no a lass for me.

But Nelly's looks are blythe and sweet,
And what is best of a',
Her reputation is compleat,
And fair without a flaw;

She dresses ay sae clean and neat,
Both decent and genteel;
And then there's something in her gait
Gars ony dress look weel.

A gaudy dress and gentle air
May slightly touch the heart,
But it's innocence and modesty
That polishes the dart.

'Tis this in Nelly pleases me,
'Tis this enchants my soul;
For absolutely in my breast
She reigns without controul.

You will see there that handsome, though usually associated with men, is possible for women, too, in the same way that bijin is unisex.

As to 4-character proverbs, well, yes there are more than a few. They tend to be from days of yore and not easy to read for most Japanese, so they rarely crop up now.

An example is 慎勿軽速 (Make haste slowly). In go the meaning is, when attacking or running away, don't leave weak points behind, even if it means going more slowly. E.g. rather than play tobi, tobi, keima, tobi, play kosumi, keima, kosumi, tobi. This is read "tsutsushimite keisoku naru nakare", so you need to know kanbun and classical Japanese. These are taught at school in Japan, of course, but then Chaucer is taught in English schools, but how many pupils ever get beyond the dirty bits in the Wife of Bath? Likewise in Japan. But Chaucer did say: "The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." Oh, so true!

Post #37 Posted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:44 pm 
Lives in sente

John Fairbairn wrote:
Not quite. It's more like "rushing ahead impetuously" on its own, but it is often used in the 獅子奮迅の勢いで which means "with irresistible force". I imagine that was what was intended in respect of Yamashita.
Is that definition from the Kenkyusha dictionary or from experience? I'm still working from Jisho but found a 4th edition of Kenkyusha for a good price that eBay keeps reminding me about.

John Fairbairn wrote:
Incidentally, I think it was you who asked a while back about kanji readings. 獅子 throws up a nice example. This is shishi (lion). But 子獅子 (lion cub) is kojishi. On a scale of 1 to 5 this is just a half a star, but still, it's worth knowing.
Probably was me. I was looking for consistency and there just isn't much. There seems to be a taste for variety.

John Fairbairn wrote:
An example is 慎勿軽速 (Make haste slowly). In go the meaning is, when attacking or running away, don't leave weak points behind, even if it means going more slowly. E.g. rather than play tobi, tobi, keima, tobi, play kosumi, keima, kosumi, tobi. This is read "tsutsushimite keisoku naru nakare", so you need to know kanbun and classical Japanese. These are taught at school in Japan, of course, but then Chaucer is taught in English schools, but how many pupils ever get beyond the dirty bits in the Wife of Bath? Likewise in Japan. But Chaucer did say: "The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." Oh, so true!
Wait a second! The entire game of Go can be explained with these 4-character idioms in the "Ten Maxims" found in Wizardry from the Stone Chamber. :clap: These Chinese scholars were brilliant. I think 慎勿軽速 is #7 but the 3rd character in Wizardry from the Stone Chamber looks different. Well, the editorial mentions there are variations of #7. Presumably this 4 character format calls back to Art of War?

...this is the second discussion to connect back to Wang firewood collector (even if he post-dated the list)

Post #38 Posted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:01 am 
Oza

Quote:
Is that definition from the Kenkyusha dictionary or from experience? I'm still working from Jisho but found a 4th edition of Kenkyusha for a good price that eBay keeps reminding me about.

It's not a binary thing. I will certainly have used a dictionary at some point, but whether it was Kenkyusha is lost in the haze of the past. I have dictionaries of idioms, for example. And I don't use dictionaries to look up words. I read them. Which gives me lots of experience.

My language-learning differs from all other linguists I know (and I know very many). It's rooted in my family background, but to summarise the surface view, I have found three approaches that I swear by. I'm not saying they will be useful or relevant to you, or anyone else, but I've found over the years that it can be useful and sometimes inspiring to hear how other people think. That's one of my own favourite things, and so I offer my own experiences in that spirit.

So, back to our muttons. One approach I swear by is to learn every word in 6 or 7 contexts. I read years ago that you had to encounter anything about 6 times before you memorised it. At school, other people learned lists of vocabulary by repeatedly chanting them. I learned them by exploring contexts until I had found 6 or 7. Not always possible in those pre-internet days. One way I used was to pester my teacher. There was a word - I've forgotten which - that had something to do with balls. I asked the teacher what was French for tennis ball, what was French for a masked ball, and so on. So I was learning words other than ball, such as tennis and masked, but also getting my dose of 6 or 7 contexts. I was learning associations and nuances. We all do this, of course, but I was doing it on turbocharge. I did this all the time and drove the teacher spare. I remember this particular item because I managed to stump him: he didn't know what a billiard ball was in French. But in the process I learned a little about French culture. I didn't ask about cojones because I was only 11 at the time. The result was that with my approach I scored 100% in language exams and no-one else got beyond 70%. That was pretty strong reinforcement, and it was reinforced even more by a teacher giving me half a crown for getting my first 100%.

The second approach that was useful for me was an accidental discovery. I was a chess player from a very young age and so used to follow the Russian scene. In my case that meant learning to read Russian chess magazines. What I picked up from that exercise was that if you stick to one topic in language learning it can be super-efficient to devote a lot of time reading about your topic in that language. The point is that you are only seeing words that you want and never seeing words you will never meet again, so it's close to 100% efficient in vocabulary terms.

My awareness of the value of this approach was reinforced by a small blip. In one of our class vocabulary lists was the French word glycine, given as wisteria. I had absolutely no idea what a wisteria was, couldn't find out, and never did find out till I was in my thirties. Other flower words in the list easily stuck in my head because I had associations (e.g. a carnation was used as buttonholes at weddings and featured on tins of Carnation evaporated milk we had as a special teatime treat). But a wisteria was not part of my experience, and never likely to be, so I was inclined to ignore it. Nevertheless, probably because it stood out, it did stick in my mind, and much, much later I discovered that it was really a mistake because it was named after Caspar Wistar and so should properly be wistaria. Nowadays I walk several times past a cottage that is covered in purple wistaria, so it's turned out to be a big word in my life! That's part of something else I learned early on: nothing is ever wasted when learning. You never know what coincidences will turn up later on. Inefficiencies can turn out to be efficient.

Because this efficiency-based approach worked very well for me, the feedback loop reinforced it in my head, and I eventually used the same approach when teaching a Japanese reading course at Newcastle university. My students were all PhD candidates, which helped of course, but the most important feature was that they were all naval architecture students and had a very limited range of interest. They wanted only to read (not speak), and to read only Japanese shipbuilding magazines. So the vocabulary was limited, but so was the grammar (e.g. dearu form not desu is used in such technical articles, no -masu forms, no onomatopoeia, etc). As a result the course was just 49 hours, of which 12 or 13 was devoted to using Nelson and Kenkyusha. About a dozen students took a final exam, which was to translate a paper supplied by the local ship research association. All passed with honours and then we parted. I thought I'd never find out how they got on with their Japanese. But years later, after I had moved to London, my eldest daughter was at school was approached by another pupil who said, "My dad knows your dad." She had twigged from name, which is unusual down south, and some reference to hearing that I knew Japanese, that I was a person her own father had talked about. And it turned out he was still using his Japanese as a naval architect. So, again coincidences do have a habit of biting you in the bum, but, more to the point, it confirms that a stripped-down but tailor-made approach to language learning can be fast yet highly efficient.

My third approach is that, as I say, I read dictionaries. The starting point may be to look up a word, but I then read round about that entry to see if I can get my ration of 6 or 7 contextual examples, and before I know what's happened I may have read 3 or 4 pages about other words. I find this especially fruitful in English, or my huge Morohashi Chinse-Japanese dictionary, because they give etymologies, sources or early citations, which I lap up. And which eventually turn out to be useful - nothing is ever wasted. I've learned a lot of Greek from etymologies, and quite a bit about Chinese histories and Tang poems.

As readers will know from my posts on go terms, associations and nuances of words play a big role on my thinking. We all rely on associations, because that's how the brain works, but they are made by the subconscious brain and we are not usually aware of the process. However, I get the impression that for many people one area will tend to come to the surface often. For what I call numbers guys, they can be very aware of number associations. At least, some of them have told me things like looking at car number-plates and working out their prime numbers (or something like that). I had a classmate at grammar school who became an eminent musician and who would tell me what key things like church bells were sounding in as we walked along the street.

In my case it's word associations I'm aware of. As an example, when you mentioned bijin what leapt in to my mind was a very long association. The starting point was that you rendered bijin as beautiful woman, but I jibbed at that because bijin is asexual, and from that came the word handsome, which is usually used of men, but I remembered Handsome Nell. That poem reminded me of the word (and the spelling) compleat, which was sparked off by the word happo (all directions = complete). Compleat brought to mind Izaac Walton who wrote The Compleat Angler. I have no interest in angling but Isaac Walton was coincidentally the name of the shop where we had to buy our school uniforms, and this shop had a framed print of a cover of the book. Thinking of schooldays also brought back to mind days of having to sing Burns's songs (for non-Brits he was the guy behind Auld Lang Syne, but there's about 600 other songs of his). And so by then (though with a little side trip up a cul-de-sac to ponder on the difference between Izaak and Isaac) I was led inexorably to quoting Burns's poem, which seems to be perfect description of happo bijin.

Since then my mind has wondered on along the same track, with forks such as Eskimo Nell. But the path I have followed is that, again by coincidence, as it is our Autumn Ball, and one of the ladies I hope to dance with is a descendant of Burns, tonight I have decided to wear my Burns kilt, which is made up of a black and white check. Which brings us back to go.... Sumire wears the border tartan in her face-mask. She too has to get dolled up for photographers in beautiful kimonos, and so has to be a bijin. Which brings us back to the subject of this thread, Xie Yimin.

That's how my mind works. Very much word-based, but as I said, I like hearing how other minds work. Any offers?

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by 4 people: CDavis7M, Elom0, ez4u, pajaro

Post #39 Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:19 am 
Lives in gote

Usually, I jump from one thought to the next by association of ideas. I can't tell if it some word that triggers the change, or a concept, or...

I think my brain is more number oriented, in the sense that I think using probabilities rather than in yes/no terms. Many people say "this is never true because it once happened to me this and that". Or "this example is proof that this statement is absolutely certain". Of course they don't say "never", "absolutely"... but underneath, the ideas are there. The world is not so simple. It is obvious to me. But not to everybody, it seems.

Is this what John was asking about? Unlikely. Is this an example of how my brain works? Maybe. The point, perhaps, is that he talked about his thinking process, I talked about something that happens in my brain, and to figure up the relation of both things is up to the reader.

What I found interesting was his process of learning languages and new words. 6 or 7 contexts? Interesting. I have been trying to learn Japanese for a long time. I more or less know a bit of grammar, but I find it very difficult to remember the words. "because you don't practice it", is what I think. But "because you don't have different situations for every word" might be more accurate. I only have the examples from books.

Still more interesting (to me): John used two words in my two native languages. Can you identify them?

This is becoming waaaay off-topic. So, back to Xie Yimin and her likeability:
she is a older than Fujisawa Rina, Ueno Asami, and younger than Suzuki Ayumi. So maybe she is closing some generational gap. And Ayumi is married to Rin Kintetsu (the Rin in Tsururin). So perhaps they tried to picture a nice description of Xie Yimin.

Post #40 Posted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:54 pm 
Lives in sente

John Fairbairn wrote:
I've found over the years that it can be useful and sometimes inspiring to hear how other people think. That's one of my own favourite things, and so I offer my own experiences in that spirit.
I've been mulling this over for a few days and I realized a thing or two about my own thoughts and learning. So I do appreciate the insight.

It is a relief and encouragement to hear about the Newcastle shipbuilding students. My only real goal and hope is to be able to read Japanese Go books. And if I am lucky, pick up enough to understand most of Go news articles and interviews with a dictionary. And studying Go does seem efficient as I already feel comfortable with tsumego hints in Japanese.

As for 6 or 7 contexts, I don't know if this is exactly the same, but I've been recognizing characters used for Go in other contexts, but with different meanings. It would be better if the context were Go and I think that should be possible. I'll give it a try.
雨降って固まる
残り3(入荷予定あり)

And thinking more about how I learn, I realized that I do too much learning for work and so when I'm on my own time I need to enjoy what I'm learning to make progress. This thinking led me back to the first Japanese word I learned to recognize about 15 years ago: スープラ (a Toyota). And thinking more, earlier in my life I used to love watching this awesome Japanese cooking show that made it to the US called Iron Chef (料理の鉄人). I'm going to return to these other interests, even if it reduces some efficiency I would have if I just focused on Go. I think I'll have more fun that way. I already have a magazine in my cart.