It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Goratings.org no longer updating?
Post #1 Posted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:03 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
It's been over two weeks, yet a game hasn't been added to www.goratings.org . . .

Post subject: Re: Goratings.org no longer updating?
Post #2 Posted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:40 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 32
Was liked: 119
I updated the server, and it broke something. It should be fixed now. The daily update should work automatically soon in a few hours.

This post by Rémi was liked by 2 people: Elom0, Waylon

Post #3 Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:05 am 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
Thanks!

Post #4 Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:10 am 
Lives in sente

Thanks!

Feel free not to respond to this, I only mention it here because your e-mail doesn't seem to be working

I still wonder whether it might be better for the weighting of games to be International x2 Domestic and Women's international x1 Domestic Women's x0.5

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:06 pm 
Lives with ko

Elom0 wrote:
Feel free not to respond to this, I only mention it here because your e-mail doesn't seem to be working

I still wonder whether it might be better for the weighting of games to be International x2 Domestic and Women's international x1 Domestic Women's x0.5

My email should be working. You may have entered a typo or was filtered as spam by gmail.

Why give a higher weight to international games?

Post #6 Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:44 am 
Lives in sente

Rémi wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

My email should be working. You may have entered a typo or was filtered as spam by gmail.

Why give a higher weight to international games?

In other words each restriction, domestic of women's halves the weighting of games in the tournament, but there aren't enough games in the database for us to instead half the weight of domestic games . . . So we have to double international ones instead. The entire debacle of Iyama rating during the Iyama era was based on a perceived bubble effect, and you even said yourself that Japan was too easy for him, implying you agreed that there was a bubble effect going on in Japan. So from that the logical next step is to reduce the weighting of domestic games relative to games between players who play in different countries, and state the weightings on the site. But you never did and I was baffled why you'd open yourself up to criticism from Japan skeptics. The same problem might occur with the women's ratings. Open International have a weighting x2. A weighting of 1 for Open Domestic and International Women's tournaments. Domestic Women's have a weighting of x0.5. Tokopokto has some missing birthdays https://lifein19x19.com/viewtopic.php?p=271819#p271819 and some flags are missing, in addition a few years back I saw a few Koreans complaining about the flag of Cho Chikun. Journalists from outside the baduk community would not know he's Korean. You ideally would want two flags, one representing their nationality, and one representing the nationality of the association they play for. Many little errors like this I noticed. Indeed WHR is the system most suited to giving higher weightings to games from tournaments with less restrictions. Sorry i feel strongly about this, I was frustrated enough by this that I was incentivised to make my own WHR ratings next march, haha sorry . . .

Post #7 Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:59 am 
Lives with ko

Thanks for your reply, but I am not convinced that any of what you say gives a good reason why international games should be weighted more, or women tournament should be weighted less.

This post by Rémi was liked by: Elom0

Post #8 Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:03 pm 
Lives in sente

Rémi wrote:
Thanks for your reply, but I am not convinced that any of what you say gives a good reason why international games should be weighted more, or women tournament should be weighted less.

Okay, thanks! I actually thought of lowering the weight of each game the more games between the same opponent,

So between a point in time in which a rating is given and a point in time in which a game is played, the weighting of the game is divided by the number of games with the same player between those points in time

but that might be too complicated to program into WHR in an effortless way, so lowering the weighting of domestic and women's tournaments seemed like a simpler shorterm alternative that won't use up time and energy.

Unless I maybe do both

Post #9 Posted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:33 am 
Lives with ko

This makes a little more sense to me than weighting tournaments depending on whether they are international or not, but I am still not convinced that this has a good chance to produce better ratings.

If you think your idea is good, then please go ahead and try it.

This post by Rémi was liked by: Elom0

Post #10 Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:11 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 9
Hey Remi. Thanks for the great goratings.org website!

edit: I was asking if the player page could have links to sources with pictures for chinese players, like to a bingoweiqi.com. Now the senseis.xmp.net has been updated and every top 61 player currently has a picture or a direct link to a player's video. I'm thinking of trying to keep it updated in so that top50 would have a pic or direct video link but who knows. So perhaps linking to sensei's library player page could be an option too but oh well, maybe these linkings are not that important