All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 9th Globis Cup in 2022
Post #1 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:43 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1024
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
I wish the Nihon Kiin Youtube Channel Streamed this live, but they uploaded Self-Game Reviews

Kevin Wang v Moro Chisaki

Even Globis themselves seem to have forgotten since the 8th Globis Cup that they are running a tournament!

Post subject: Re: 9th Globis Cup in 2022
Post #2 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:49 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
Kevin Yang (not Wang) lost, but he is quite strong. In the Second Transatlantic Professional Go League, he won all 6 matches so far, including 2 against Ilya Shikshin.

Full results of the Globis Cup (he is an AGA amateur, contrary to what is written below):

Attachment:
ScreenShot_07_06_2022_14_10_21.png
ScreenShot_07_06_2022_14_10_21.png [ 55.86 KiB | Viewed 3952 times ]

Post #3 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:15 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
Moro Chisaki won, but Kevin Yang is in the final chart?

How does this work? Was it some preliminary game?

Post #4 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:24 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 20
Was liked: 4631
Quote:

They played twice, in a prelim, which was a double-elimination event like the Judan used to be. Chisaki beat Kevin first time, so he went into the Losers' Section. Chisaki lost her next game so also went in to the Losers' Section. There they met again, but this time Kevin won.

This post by John Fairbairn was liked by: Elom0

Post #5 Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:28 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 109
Was liked: 138
Universal go server handle: CDavis7M
That chart above looked familiar. It's from the "Go to Everyone" website. https://gotoeveryone.k2ss.info/news/wr/gc/9/

You can see similar tournament charts, including international, in Japanese from the Nihon Kiin. https://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/match/globis/009.html They have links to the profiles of the Japanese players.

Post #6 Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:55 am 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
John Fairbairn wrote:
Quote:

They played twice, in a prelim, which was a double-elimination event like the Judan used to be. Chisaki beat Kevin first time, so he went into the Losers' Section. Chisaki lost her next game so also went in to the Losers' Section. There they met again, but this time Kevin won.

I much prefer the method used by the Samsung and Globis cup. It allows a weaker female or non-CJK players to have at least two games, meaning there is a higher chance of playing someone closer to their level (Taiwanese or Japanese player), but if an upset did occur, it wouldn't necessarily prevent the better player from entering the main rounds. Globis do really seem to practice what they preach. But for some reason the Samsung Cup changed the format when they moved online. Globis didn't feel the need to change the format for online games--what gives?

I fully expected Kevin Wang to beat both Japanese 1p's. I'm surprised he dropped a game. The western pros performances in the Sankei Cup were upsets, and Kevin Wang is whooping those pros, looking at his performance in the Atlantic league, so I don't see how he should be expected struggle with Japanese 1p's on the same level as western pros.

jlt wrote:
Kevin Yang (not Wang) lost, but he is quite strong. In the Second Transatlantic Professional Go League, he won all 6 matches so far, including 2 against Ilya Shikshin.

Full results of the Globis Cup . . .]

Attachment:
Opera Snapshot_2022-06-13_110826_gotoeveryone.k2ss.info.png
Opera Snapshot_2022-06-13_110826_gotoeveryone.k2ss.info.png [ 111.99 KiB | Viewed 3729 times ]

Post #7 Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:49 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 155
Was liked: 118
KGS: Ferran
IGS: Ferran
OGS: Ferran
Elom0 wrote:
I fully expected Kevin Wang to beat both Japanese 1p's. I'm surprised he dropped a game. (...) I don't see how he should be expected struggle with Japanese 1p's on the same level as western pros.

Why are they on the same level? Because they're shodan?

Everyone starts at shodan (Tōya dixit?) Also, Japanese players can be more used to tournaments. Specially with sensible time limits. Because I don't know the time limit for this one, but I very much doubt it was anywhere close to 5'+3*30"

Take care.

Post #8 Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:32 am 
Lives in sente

Ferran wrote:
Elom0 wrote:
I fully expected Kevin Wang to beat both Japanese 1p's. I'm surprised he dropped a game. (...) I don't see how he should be expected struggle with Japanese 1p's on the same level as western pros.

Why are they on the same level? Because they're shodan?

Everyone starts at shodan (Tōya dixit?) Also, Japanese players can be more used to tournaments. Specially with sensible time limits. Because I don't know the time limit for this one, but I very much doubt it was anywhere close to 5'+3*30"

Take care.

Coincidentally, this is one of the few fast Japanese Tournaments, he probably set it that way to be closer to international standards (and it also means it can be run in one weekend). The time settings in the Globis Cup are based on the NHK Cup, ten periods of 1 and a half minutes plus an extra eleventh of thirty seconds.

I mean a Japanese pro that is still shodan is likely on the same level as average western pro . . .

These are the games he won.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYAaSr4y9gY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ83tdCxGwQ

the Taiwanese representative nearly made it to the semi-finals . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbaNXuruatA

This post by Elom0 was liked by: Ferran

Post #9 Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:44 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 177
Was liked: 492
The page http://www.globiscup.jp/en/ indicates "30 seconds per move, plus 10 periods of extra thinking time, 1 minute each" but it may be outdated.

This post by jlt was liked by: gazzawhite

Post #10 Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:04 am 
Lives in sente

jlt wrote:
The page http://www.globiscup.jp/en/ indicates "30 seconds per move, plus 10 periods of extra thinking time, 1 minute each" but it may be outdated.

No, it's correct, I just miscalculated what it equates to.

Post #11 Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:03 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 167
Was liked: 44
Also note how Fukuoka Kotaro won all games except the final. It was the first time a Japanese since the 3rd cup, when Kyo Kagen lost the final. Look at who played in that edition: https://gotoeveryone.k2ss.info/news/wr/gc/3/