All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2022 Samsung Cup
Post #41 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:26 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 1023
Was liked: 30
KGS: Elom, Windnwater
OGS: Elom, Elom0
Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
kvasir wrote:
Do you mean to say Choi Jung beat Yang Dingxin?

Oh yeah. It's exactly the time that she's in a slump and suffering from fatigue and people are worried about her that she not only returns to the form she was in during the times of the Choi Jung 2018/19 era when she was defeating world-class pros in the LG cup, already somewhat unexpected since Yu Zhiying was the one who seemed to be one of the two who might advance to world-class level, but she surpasses the previous achievements In EXACTLY the the tournament she not only wanted to win, but the one where she does badly at. It's a fairy tale story. Talk about a Korean hero.

She might be as worthy a successor to Cho Chikun as Nakamure Sumire. Well, then again, to be a true mini Cho Chikun you also have to play every game as if your life is on the line, and that's Sumire sensei, but definitely not Jung sensei.

Post #42 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:21 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
Elom0 wrote:

She might be as worthy a successor to Cho Chikun as Nakamure Sumire. Well, then again, to be a true mini Cho Chikun you also have to play every game as if your life is on the line, and that's Sumire sensei, but definitely not Jung sensei.

This should really be in Sumire's thread... :o

But, other than being so young, a cute little girl (not so little anymore), and so on, that's what makes Sumire what she is. If she happened to be "just" gifted, she could be a dull player. Lots of wins, but nothing else. But it's her strong character what makes her special. She may win, she may lose. But she always fight to the very last stone. I can't judge her play, but when I have seen her play, she has never looked like she is giving up.

And, please, a game against Cho Chikun!

Post #43 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:36 pm 
Lives in sente

Online playing schedule: The OGS data looks pretty so I'll pause for now before I change it.
pajaro wrote:
Elom0 wrote:

This should really be in Sumire's thread... :o

But, other than being so young, a cute little girl (not so little anymore), and so on, that's what makes Sumire what she is. If she happened to be "just" gifted, she could be a dull player. Lots of wins, but nothing else. But it's her strong character what makes her special. She may win, she may lose. But she always fight to the very last stone. I can't judge her play, but when I have seen her play, she has never looked like she is giving up.

And, please, a game against Cho Chikun!

They both were they'd try their hardest to avoid losing, Cho Chikun mentions this about himself and Sumire has the same trait. In fact, she had to learn to kind of manage this trait and be relaxed when playing to get stronger. Cho Chikun did the same when he got older, saying it's not an attitude you can really keep when you get old. Such an attitude results in them both being extraordinarily tenacious, like playing a title match in a wheelchair. Stylewise Cho Chikun is stingy on territory and Nakamure Sumire overplays. I still regret that he didn't play her for her Shin-Shodan match . . .

Choi Jung on the other hand is somewhat of a Zen practitioner on the Go. This is because her personality type is moreso someone who is peaceful and internally still, but good at using that stillness react rapidly to probabilistic changes in environment because they are non-judgenental and open to a reality of quickly changing nuances. This makes her good at chaotic fighting and endgame calculation, both heavily probabilistic exercises that aren't suitable to set-in-your-ways rigid thinking. Choi Jung got stronger in 2018/2019 when did the opposite of Cho Chikun and Nakamure Sumire, which is to not stress over the event or put pressure on herself but just play with a free spirit. She's both very serious and calm and, especially in her younger days, random and quite funny. A BTS member inspired her haircut in 2019. I'm close to some who shares these trait in personality and baduk style.

Shin Jinseo is highly contextuo-logical and part of the reason he"s so strong is that his natural reasoning style falls fairly in line with AI. Gazzawhite mentions his ability to use the logic of the entire board in attacks.

Ke Jie's personality type and play style is tenuki solves everything. Westerners tend to find tenuki more fascinating as we don't have a culture of acceptance to the same level as in Asia, so you always find tenuki jokes in the west.

Yes, Baduk style always 100% reflects some aspect of a person's personality. It's like astrology but real. It is handtalk!

Semi-finals, Shin Jinseo against fellow member of Korea's 'five prodigies" Kim Myeonghoon, and Choi Jung against another one of the five prodigies, Byung Sangil. Although maybe Choi Jung is an undercover sixth prodigy.

Post #44 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:43 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 27
Was liked: 142
KGS: pajaro
IGS: pajaro
Choi just won against Byun.

I am a bit lost. Did she made it to the final? Shin Jinseo is already there too, or will he be? What are the odds in the final?

Grystal Ball (Tm) needed here. :mrgreen:

This post by pajaro was liked by: Elom0

Post #45 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:55 am 
Lives in sente

Byung Sangil cried when his dragon died . . . Choi Jung is making top pros cry now.

pajaro wrote:
Choi just won against Byun.

I am a bit lost. Did she made it to the final? Shin Jinseo is already there too, or will he be? What are the odds in the final?

Grystal Ball (Tm) needed here. :mrgreen:

Attachment:
Screenshot_20221104-073346.png
Screenshot_20221104-073346.png [ 798.55 KiB | Viewed 1903 times ]

We need someone to get Rui Naiwei's opinion. Congratulations to the secret prodigy Cho Jung!

To think of all people Shin Jinseo would play in the final of the one tournament apart from the Ing Cup he's determined to win, having lost both times before to the other two players closest to his level, it's someone who he has the best chances of winning against in any final he's ever played!

That being said, if Choi Jung's style is good against Shin Jinseo's, we'll still have two exciting games worthy of a final.

The thing is it's very difficult to catch up against Choi Jung when she has an attack advantage. The further the game goes on the better she gets.

I believe that Choi Jung's difficulty this year's has ironically given her more fortitude. She just needed one good win and she's surpassed her previous level. But I think we'll get two see her real level in the final two games. In the tradition of Hikaru no Go after a win that's a major plot point, her name, 精 Jung/Jeong, means care and conscientiousness, or'refined' or 'polished' or 'perfected' and she definitely has a conscientious attitude to how she approaches the baduk board in games, especially over the board, which she kind of focuses on instead of focusing on the result. Even more reason for her to play in Japan! The next episode of Jung ui Baduk airs on the 6th!

I don't think I'm emotionally ready for the final! I guess dreams do come true!

I remember a few years ago a previous Samsung Cup when she was younger and more brash, she was asked the typical question of who do you want to play, and she said Ke Jie because he's very strong and very cute, which at the time I thought was very rich of her on both counts. Only one other Korean pro said something braver at youth event, Oh Yujin or Oh Junga, although the event is suddenly deduct after that. Anyway, Ke Jie's response, well, he said she should meet him in the final! Well know Choi Jung has the opportunity to troll to death the King of Trolling himself, given he got knocked out in the first round by Park Jungwhan.

Post #46 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:27 pm 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 4
Does anyone know of any English streamers that are planning to do live commentary for the final?

Post #47 Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:15 am 
Lives in sente

Choi Jung lost the second game by Komi and was ahead many times in the second.

A surprisingly good performance.

She's seeded into the next Samsung Cup so let's see how she does!

Last edited by Elom0 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post #48 Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:36 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 22
Was liked: 168
IGS: kvasir
Lucky Shin Jinseo! gotoeveryone records 16 wins and 1 draw for him this year in international events (and these two games will only add to the wins). Last year was 22 wins and 2 losses.

This post by kvasir was liked by: Elom0

Post #49 Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:55 am 
Lives in sente

November 7-8 were also the days of a total lunar eclipse and a important national poll held in unusual circumstances . . .

I'm not really into astrology and that kind of unprovable woo-woo but if someone told me they Choi Jung actions are somewhat written in the stars this is one occasion I won't think of them as crazy ;-).

Remember Cho Chikun's case about him becoming famous if he took the name Chikun was also proved right.

Let's see how she does in her special match against her rival Yu Zhiying on the 18th . . .