It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: James Kerwin Retires from the Nihon Kiin
Post #1 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:08 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 142
Was liked: 437
GD Posts: 9
James Kerwin became the first American professional on February 14, 1978 under the tutelage of the late go ambassador, Iwamoto Kaoru 9P. As per the Nihon Kiin's recent mandatory retirement rule, James Kerwin, along with three others, retired at the end of the financial year in Japan on March 31st. Kerwin said, "While I have retired from the Nihon Ki-in, I have not retired from go."

More information, as well as part of his official retirement letter, can be found on the USGO news section here: http://www.usgo.org/news/2013/03/kerwin ... hon-ki-in/

Post subject: Re: James Kerwin Retires from the Nihon Kiin
Post #2 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:15 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 9
Interesting... James Kerwin appears to be a film director when you Google him... :shock:

I read the short article in the link, but it lacked detail.
I would be interested in knowing how Mr. Kerwin has contributed to go in the West.
In what part of the US does he live? Does he run a go club? Does he partipate in tournaments (as a referee)?

Post #3 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Sumatakyo wrote:
Interesting... James Kerwin appears to be a film director when you Google him... :shock:

This is just a case of Google pasting a photo from Sensei's Library onto an article from Wikipedia. The director is much younger than the Go player.

Post #4 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
Sumatakyo wrote:

I read the short article in the link, but it lacked detail.
I would be interested in knowing how Mr. Kerwin has contributed to go in the West.
In what part of the US does he live? Does he run a go club? Does he partipate in tournaments (as a referee)?

He teaches. You can look at his SL Profile. He frequently attends the U.S. Go Congress and he will give lessons and lectures there, and that's where I've seen him but I have not attended his workshops.

What does Nihon Kiin retirement actually mean?

Post #5 Posted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:28 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
For the most obvious thing, they immediately moved him to the retired section of the players list from 1 dan.

http://www.nihonkiin.or.jp/player/htm/ki000271.htm

For a site that still shows the existence of the New York Go Center, I can be amused at how fast those things happen.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:09 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 111
Was liked: 315
What has the guy been doing since he effectively retired from professional play and moved away from Japan?

Post #7 Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:27 am 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
It looks like he still teaches regularly if this web page is up to date.

http://www.tcgo.org/kerwin.shtml

I remember he used to do KGS Plus lectures, but I haven't seen him there in a while. I guess he stopped?

edit... just noticed tournaments tab on that web page hasn't been updated in quite a while...

Post #8 Posted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:03 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
James Kerwin has lived in the USA since not long after he qualified as 1-dan (pro). His most noteworthy tournament success was winning the 1-dan section of the Kisei tournament when they had those sections. He has been an active teacher in the USA, running an annual workshop at the Hollyhock Center on Cortes Island, British Columbia, teaching at the US Go Congress, teaching numerous pupils online, etc. He lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:45 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 65
Was liked: 340
GD Posts: 2428
James Kerwin is a wonderful teacher. Everyone has their favorites, but if you appreciate effective use of technology, level appropriate information and ample evidence of preparation - Mr. Kerwin is your man. He really prepares his lessons in advance and very thoughtfully.

Storyteller that I am, I wish I could share one that would demonstrate how much I respect him. For a variety of reasons, I cannot. But, trust me, I was in a very difficult situation at one time, and I was looking for a creative and compassionate way to handle it. Mr. Kerwin was completely willing to go every extra mile he could think of to help with the situation.

Finally, it should be noted that during the years of the face to face North American Fujitsu Qualifiers, usually Michael Redmond and Jimmy Cha vied for the honor. Although he never won the competition, Mr. Kerwin was the only player, other than Jimmy Cha, to beat Michael Redmond in a game.

This post by HKA was liked by 2 people: gowan, logan

Post #10 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:44 am 
Gosei

Anyone know the details of the Nihon Ki-in retirement policy? It seems that Kerwin was "forcibly" retired but players like Sakata, Hashimoto Utoaro, and others were not forced to retire after reaching 65.

Post #11 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:12 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Maybe it's only for inactive professionals. Sakata won the NHK Cup in 1982, and I think he was active until at least 1990--no GoGoD here at work, so I can't check.

Hashimoto actually made it into the Gosei league at 71, back when it was for only 5 players. The oldest other player (Otake Hideo) was barely half his age (+/- one year).

Post #12 Posted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 pm 
Gosei

hyperpape wrote:
Maybe it's only for inactive professionals. Sakata won the NHK Cup in 1982, and I think he was active until at least 1990--no GoGoD here at work, so I can't check.

Hashimoto actually made it into the Gosei league at 71, back when it was for only 5 players. The oldest other player (Otake Hideo) was barely half his age (+/- one year).

Also, Kerwin had been resident abroad and away from the Japanese go scene for decades.

Post #13 Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:58 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 0
Was liked: 0
KGS: Lance
Thank you Tei Meiko for your comment. I was Jim's student throughout the 1980's and traveled to Tokyo during that time, where I received instruction from you and others at the Nihon Kiin. When I returned Jim asked how the lessons were and I replied, "They told me the same things you do."

David Holland

Post #14 Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:11 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
Lance wrote:
Thank you Tei Meiko for your comment. I was Jim's student throughout the 1980's and traveled to Tokyo during that time, where I received instruction from you and others at the Nihon Kiin. When I returned Jim asked how the lessons were and I relied, "They told me the same things you do."

David Holland

I apologize for confusion, but I am not Tei Meiko. That was just a quote a liked for my signature. But it's time to find a new one, anyway.