Judan

Liked others: 436
Was liked: 3719
KGS: Uberdude 4d
OGS: Uberdude 7d
Boidhre wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
Boidhre wrote:
I would be opposed to people with undeclared or unverifiable ranks advertising...

I'm tentatively thinking that way too. But how do we verify? It seems like an unending headache for admins.

I'm thinking of something as light as: this my KGS account or this is my EGF page or similar. I think it should very much be self-regulated by the community but that prospective teachers should identify themselves beyond their forum pseudo-name, even if it's only a KGS account.

Well yes that's a good idea if you are advertising teaching services, but I see no need for rules or admins to care about it. If someone doesn't include useful information in their post they won't get students. People can post a reply "What's your KGS/EGF/AGA/whatever username/rank?". They can answer if they wish. We can have a discussion on a forum. Whoop-de-doo! No red-text from admins stomping about is needed.

P.S. Has anyone ever advertised teaching services on L19 without giving such basic information? Those last 2 examples of Svetlana and the Hungarian chap gave it.

P.P.S Don't ban prices, I don't understand DrStraw on that.

Post subject: Re: Forum policies for teachers
Post #22 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:21 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 543
Was liked: 450
GD Posts: 1000
It seems to me that allowing this kind of adverts, even on a dedicated thread or forum, is going to be a big headache for admins, who will have to pay relatively close attention to these things. It might become a place for spammers to post, disguised as go teachers. Are admins going to check every poster for bona fides?

This post by gowan was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #23 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:23 am 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Uberdude wrote:
Well yes that's a good idea if you are advertising teaching services, but I see no need for rules or admins to care about it. If someone doesn't include useful information in their post they won't get students. People can post a reply "What's your KGS/EGF/AGA/whatever username/rank?". They can answer if they wish. We can have a discussion on a forum. Whoop-de-doo! No red-text from admins stomping about is needed.

P.S. Has anyone ever advertised teaching services on L19 without giving such basic information? Those last 2 examples of Svetlana and the Hungarian chap gave it.

P.P.S Don't ban prices, I don't understand DrStraw on that.

I mean, said forum should have a short and simple sticky asking people wanting to advertise do a few simple things (e.g. how strong are you, what hours are you available to teach, useful things that really should be in the first post). Let the community rather than admins enforce it sure, I'd be fully behind that.

This post by Boidhre was liked by: Bonobo

Post #24 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:27 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
gowan wrote:
It seems to me that allowing this kind of adverts, even on a dedicated thread or forum, is going to be a big headache for admins, who will have to pay relatively close attention to these things. It might become a place for spammers to post, disguised as go teachers. Are admins going to check every poster for bona fides?

Why should teacher's ads be any different from other posts? Sometimes spam appears, but not that often and it always gets noticed and removed quickly. There are lots of eyes on every post, and a "report" button too.

This post by daal was liked by 2 people: Bantari, Bonobo

Post #25 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:57 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 7
Was liked: 9
KGS: foe
There is a for sale style classifieds section. Why not a teacher section? How else would I be able to find out what is out there if everyone is forbidden from asking or talking about it? Before I learned of a group via a post which was later killed, I didn't even realize such a thing existed. To my knowledge, there are still only a few options, one of which I learned of in this very thread!

I think a teacher focused section would be ideal. Would also let me know by comparison if what I am receiving is of good value.

Post #26 Posted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:57 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
there is a teacher section.
she posted in it.

This post by xed_over was liked by 2 people: Bantari, Bonobo

Post #27 Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:36 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
The teachers / club leaders forum now has a sub forum for advertising teaching.

http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=68

I would have preferred to have it a bit more supervised, but, in deferrence to member's opinions, it is open to all with no vetting. ( I'm counting on you guys to keep an eye on it and report mis-use )

This post by Joaz Banbeck was liked by 3 people: Bonobo, illluck, xed_over

Post #28 Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 202
Was liked: 1087
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
Overkill, IMO. The teachers forum is already a very low-traffic forum, just let teachers post there if they want to offer their services. I reckon our readers are smart enough to recognize advertisements when they see them and make their own decisions on whether to buy.

This post by HermanHiddema was liked by 2 people: illluck, xed_over

Post #29 Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:30 am 
Judan

HermanHiddema wrote:
Overkill, IMO. The teachers forum is already a very low-traffic forum, just let teachers post there if they want to offer their services. I reckon our readers are smart enough to recognize advertisements when they see them and make their own decisions on whether to buy.

Sure, they can recognize them...if they scoll through to find them. By having a separate sub-forum with one thread per teacher, the potentail student should be able to find all of the teachers in one place.

Post #30 Posted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:14 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
but Svetlana's thread/post is still locked?

This post by xed_over was liked by 3 people: Bantari, Bonobo, illluck

Post #31 Posted: Sun May 25, 2014 11:08 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
xed_over wrote:
but Svetlana's thread/post is still locked?

Ditto to this question …

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10062

Regards, Tom

Post #32 Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:33 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 90
Was liked: 837
KGS: Capsule 4d
Tygem: 치킨까스 5d
^

I moved the thread into the Teachers Advertisement subforum, unlocked it, and imputed her e-mail address (as an image to prevent spam) and website into her post.

This post by Solomon was liked by 4 people: Bonobo, illluck, RBerenguel, xed_over

Post #33 Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:04 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
Thank you, Araban, it’s nice to see some practical consequence finally.

Cordially, Tom

<edit>

Uhm, but you did not add her Web site ;-) Forgive me, you DID add it, I only overlooked it because it was not a link like this: http://svetlana.shikshina.com/

</edit>

Post #34 Posted: Tue May 27, 2014 11:18 pm 
Judan

Araban wrote:
^

I moved the thread into the Teachers Advertisement subforum, unlocked it, and imputed her e-mail address (as an image to prevent spam) and website into her post.

Thanks. I've been intending to do that myself as soon as the aligators are back down to knee level.