What kind of hardware do you use?
Smartphone 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
Tablet 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
Laptop 35%  35%  [ 19 ]
Desktop 31%  31%  [ 17 ]
Cray 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
None of the above 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 55
 Post subject: What type of hardware do you use to read/post on L19?
Post #1 Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:35 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1102
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
As smartphones become the favored means of internet access, I find myself wondering if we need a more smartphone-oriented interface. But then I see posts that are clearly written on phones, with bizarrely nonsensical words that can only be the result of insufficiently supervised error-correction routines, and then my reactionary geezer tendencies reassert themselves and I tell myself that some things are best left unchanged.

I use a smartphone myself sometimes, but only for a quick check to squash spammers while waiting in line at the grocery store. For casual reading at bedtime I may use a laptop if the cats don't object too much. For any serious post like this one, I use a desk top with a big screen.

I have looked at some of the more modern forums, and the continuous-flow model does not seem to encourage the reflective and well thought-out posts that I'd like to see here.

Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: What type of hardware do you use to read/post on L19?
Post #2 Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:56 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 237
Was liked: 662
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
I don't have a smartphone. I don't even have a dumbphone. And my Cray crashed. So I am stuck with my desktop.

This post by DrStraw was liked by: Bonobo

Post #3 Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:11 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 662
Was liked: 442
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
Almost exclusively desktop, rarely tablet. I'd probably prefer a "Reddit style" (much older than Reddit) threading for conversations rather than the current linear layout in general for forums. I think it makes it much easier to follow various lines of conversation on a topic and it makes it harder for "threads to be derailed" as you can hide long pointless arguments and just read the rest of the replies. I'm not sure about upvoting and downvoting though.

This post by Boidhre was liked by: Joaz Banbeck

Post #4 Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:36 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 8259
Was liked: 923
Universal go server handle: trohde
iMac w/ OS X 10.10.1, rarely a MacBook Pro, even rarer an iPad 2.

Regarding L19, the iMac is all that really matters for me; when I’m on the road, I have other things to do.

Post #5 Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:51 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Boidhre wrote:
Almost exclusively desktop, rarely tablet. I'd probably prefer a "Reddit style" (much older than Reddit) threading for conversations rather than the current linear layout in general for forums. I think it makes it much easier to follow various lines of conversation on a topic and it makes it harder for "threads to be derailed" as you can hide long pointless arguments and just read the rest of the replies. I'm not sure about upvoting and downvoting though.

I like reddit style threading but wish it was easier to find the new posts. It can be challenging to see if additional posting that was interesting has been added. With other reddits there's so much content, you can't really read all. With Go, there's so little, you can read it all, but it's hard to figure out.

This post by oren was liked by: Bonobo

Post #6 Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:03 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 13
Was liked: 56
I really use a plethora of devices, being a depraved technophile.

But if I seriously want to construct a post with diagrams, sgfs and whatnots, I always wait until I can use the full power of my desktop. This can mean half a day's wait but I don't like authoring something fiddly on the phone.

Simple short text messages are fine on the phone (with the autodiscorrector OFF!) but I can't do anything serious on that thing. My phone is really just for sharing cat pics, and for passing files between systems which don't network with eachother. I think there were some other purposes advertised, but I forget what they were. With a tablet, it feels like having a really really large phone. A laptop is kinda okay, but mine has a much smaller screen and only the one.

I strongly dislike the idea of having the interface change for the desktop side, but do you really want to maintain two separate ways of representing the same content?

Post subject:
Post #7 Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:43 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
I once played an entire Malkovich game, 141 moves, Oct 30 - Dec 26, on an iPhone 4S on sporadic WiFi while traveling. :)

( The 1975 Cray-1 was 80MHz ? The iPhone 4S was ~800MHz ? )

I also use laptops and a desktop.
More than 2 options would be nice for this poll.

Right now I'm texting this, plus Wikipedia searched about Cray-1, on a 4S. :)

( Do I have in my palm, this ancient 4S, 10x the power of the US$8M Cray-1 ? :) Maybe something is off by an order of magnitude or more...? )

Post #8 Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:27 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 319
Was liked: 287
Universal go server handle: jeromie
I use a tablet or smartphone a lot of the time. I don't generally have a problem with the interface (though next page links can be a bit of a pain) except when reading the embedded SGF files. Eidogo is nearly unusable on a smartphone; I almost always have to download the file into an external sgf viewer.

Something like the newer Glift program used at gogameguru would be nice as a user configurable option for phone / tablet users. I wonder if a graphical diagram creator (like Hermann's excellent external site) could be embedded into the forum, too?

Now I'm wondering: is the source code zip on the front page current, or is there a current version control repository I could take a look at? I'm not a phpbb guru, but I'd be willing to see if I could add any of these (or other) features instead of just making work for others.

Post #9 Posted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:28 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 180
Was liked: 151
GD Posts: 422
KGS: komi
I would love to be able to use the site with a phone or tablet, but find it intolerably hostile to anything but a desktop, for both reading and posting. Specifically, my workflow, which is to go to "View New Posts" and right click on the "read latest posts" link for all the topics I'm interested in (i.e. open them in a new tabs), is way too hard with a tablet.

Post #10 Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:18 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Mostly iMac (currently OS/X 10.9.2). Also Lenovo laptop with Win 7, iPad Air, Macbook Air and rarely Lumia 800 with WP. Once or twice I may have tried with iPod Touch.

Post #11 Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:30 am 
Dies in gote

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 5
KGS: mimano
DGS: mimano
I use Tapatalk on an android phone. Works great for reading and posting simple text like this, but sgf files and diagrams show up as text, which is a bit of a problem. On the upside, the timeline reading mode is very convenient.

Post #12 Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:51 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 485
Was liked: 166
KGS: aco
IGS: oca
OGS: oca
iphone 4, ipad and windows 8 (using chrome) on a desktop for me.

Last edited by oca on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post #13 Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:36 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 252
Was liked: 251
GD Posts: 846
Windows laptop or Windows Phone with Tapatalk. I have an iPad but I mostly use that for SmartGo / SmartGo books.

Post #14 Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:39 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
iPhone 5s and desktop. It's about 50-50 (currently posting from my phone). The biggest things that would help for a smartphone for me are a narrower/responsive layout and better button spacing in the Eidogo viewer.

I'd probably never do diagrams on a phone unless there were massive interface changes, however.

Post #15 Posted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:52 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
For reading, essentially iPad (i.e. I try to avoid getting into L19 while on my main computer.) When I need to type something vaguely long I usually do it on it, though (Macbook Air.)

I have also checked it with an iPod Touch and an Android phone, but these have been either on-off checks or reading some quick post. Not for commenting.