It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
Author Message
Offline
 Post subject: Annoying features
Post #1 Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:19 am 
Gosei

Posts: 1830
Liked others: 11
Was liked: 2724
There are two aspects to this site's software that especially irritate me. One I think I've asked about before and got no reply.

1. Whenever I type something the site likes to think it knows better than me what I want to write and "corrects" it on the fly without telling me. For example, I recently wrote "invadee" and it changed that to "invade" (as it just did now). The sentence then had a verb instead of a noun and so was gibberish. This is very common, and is obviously likely to be a problem when so many Japanese and Chinese words are floating around. Judging by apparent typos in other people's posts it's easy to infer I'm far from the only one affected.

How do I turn this feature off?

2. Far, far, far too often for my liking I enter the forum only to have an advert for taptalk shoved in my face. I understand that the site owner or software author may want to gain a little extra income, and I don't mind that in principle. It's the frequency that narks me. This happens on my iPads and iPhone, and sometimes, it seems, several times a week. I don't want taptalk and always hit cancel, but - perhaps out of spite - I am then logged out of the forum and have to log back in. This involves hunting for glasses, using the fiddly keypads, and groping in memory for one of my 5,000 passwords, and can take the shine off the moment. Could the software not include a "don't ask me again" option?

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #2 Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:23 am 
Dies with sente

Posts: 88
Liked others: 0
Was liked: 14
John Fairbairn wrote:
There are two aspects to this site's software that especially irritate me. One I think I've asked about before and got no reply.

1. Whenever I type something the site likes to think it knows better than me what I want to write and "corrects" it on the fly without telling me. For example, I recently wrote "invadee" and it changed that to "invade" (as it just did now). The sentence then had a verb instead of a noun and so was gibberish. This is very common, and is obviously likely to be a problem when so many Japanese and Chinese words are floating around. Judging by apparent typos in other people's posts it's easy to infer I'm far from the only one affected.

How do I turn this feature off?


You sure this isn't your browser doing this? Some browsers do this as a 'feature'. I personally hate it. Same is true of auto-correct on 'Smart' Phones.

Quote:
2. Far, far, far too often for my liking I enter the forum only to have an advert for taptalk shoved in my face. I understand that the site owner or software author may want to gain a little extra income, and I don't mind that in principle. It's the frequency that narks me. This happens on my iPads and iPhone, and sometimes, it seems, several times a week. I don't want taptalk and always hit cancel, but - perhaps out of spite - I am then logged out of the forum and have to log back in. This involves hunting for glasses, using the fiddly keypads, and groping in memory for one of my 5,000 passwords, and can take the shine off the moment. Could the software not include a "don't ask me again" option?


Extra annoying if using Windows Phone as it sends you to the iTunes app store as it can't work out what platform you're using.

I find using NoScript and Ad-block end up making sites more usable that suffer from these annoyances.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #3 Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:32 am 
Lives in sente

Posts: 1311
Location: Finland
Liked others: 42
Was liked: 116
Rank: FGA 7k GoR 1297
I'd say it 100% certain that the site is not responsible for #1.

The site sends the HTML code of the form to browser, and has no control over it until the "submit"-button is pressed and the browser sends the data entered to the site. Whatever happens between those moments is entirely up to the browser (and the OS / machine on which the browser is running). Theoretically it would be possible to include javascript that would catch every key pressed and make corrections, but this site (and I'd be willing to say that this applies to all other sites as well) has no such feature. The likely culprit is the autocorrect feature of the browser / device OS.

On my current browser (Firefox on OS/X) if I type "invadee", the browser will highlight the word as possibly mistyped, but will do nothing else. Other browsers / systems may do something else, depending on their settings.

_________________
Signature space for rent

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #4 Posted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:05 pm 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1606
Location: San Diego
Liked others: 619
Was liked: 481
Universal go server handle: Bantari
John Fairbairn wrote:
There are two aspects to this site's software that especially irritate me. One I think I've asked about before and got no reply.

1. Whenever I type something the site likes to think it knows better than me what I want to write and "corrects" it on the fly without telling me. For example, I recently wrote "invadee" and it changed that to "invade" (as it just did now). The sentence then had a verb instead of a noun and so was gibberish. This is very common, and is obviously likely to be a problem when so many Japanese and Chinese words are floating around. Judging by apparent typos in other people's posts it's easy to infer I'm far from the only one affected.

How do I turn this feature off?

2. Far, far, far too often for my liking I enter the forum only to have an advert for taptalk shoved in my face. I understand that the site owner or software author may want to gain a little extra income, and I don't mind that in principle. It's the frequency that narks me. This happens on my iPads and iPhone, and sometimes, it seems, several times a week. I don't want taptalk and always hit cancel, but - perhaps out of spite - I am then logged out of the forum and have to log back in. This involves hunting for glasses, using the fiddly keypads, and groping in memory for one of my 5,000 passwords, and can take the shine off the moment. Could the software not include a "don't ask me again" option?

I'd say: blame your browser for #1.
And blame Windows for #2.

Come to think of it, blame Windows for #1 as well. They deserve it. ;)

PS>
And if you don't use Windows, blame your browser for #1 and #2.

_________________
- Bantari
______________________________________________
WARNING: This post might contain Opinions!!

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #5 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:59 am 
Oza

Posts: 2182
Location: ʍoquıɐɹ ǝɥʇ ɹǝʌo 'ǝɹǝɥʍǝɯos
Liked others: 237
Was liked: 659
Rank: AGA 5d
GD Posts: 4312
Online playing schedule: Every tenth February 29th from 20:00-20:01 (if time permits)
You have complained about the first one before and it was answered. It is not the site but the browser.

The second one is news to me as I have never encountered it. It is almost certainly not the site, however. I run an ad-blocker and do not get pop up ads on any site. There are several ones out there. I use Ghostery - it is free and works very well.

_________________
Still officially AGA 5d but I play so irregularly these days that I am probably only 3d or 4d over the board (but hopefully still 5d in terms of knowledge, theory and the ability to contribute).

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #6 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:21 am 
Gosei

Posts: 1830
Liked others: 11
Was liked: 2724
OK, thanks, but if it is the browser I can't find anywhere to change the settings. Any suggestions, please, for (a) Explorer and (b) Safari?

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #7 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:28 am 
Oza

Posts: 2285
Location: Ireland
Liked others: 650
Was liked: 411
Universal go server handle: Boidhre
I think you're using a Mac, this may help: http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ ... -yosemite/

If it's a different version of OSX just search for how to disable autocorrect for that version. I can't remember if it's different places in different versions.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #8 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:33 am 
Oza

Posts: 2250
Liked others: 1163
Was liked: 535
John Fairbairn wrote:
OK, thanks, but if it is the browser I can't find anywhere to change the settings. Any suggestions, please, for (a) Explorer and (b) Safari?

spelling auto-correct is set at the OS level (not the browser), but you didn't specify which OS/device you're using. If its configurable, look for keyboard/text settings.

tapatalk is a separately installed plugin intended to make browser-based forums easier to navigate/read on small devices such as phones/tablets. I didn't find it all that useful for me. Just uninstall it.

however, if it is an ad (instead of a forgotten installed plugin), then clear your cookies and browser cache/history. Most ads are specifically targeted toward your browsing history and preferences. any keyword search or direct browser hit in the past will continue to target you ("you" being any combination of your username, ip address, OS, browser info). Ad blockers will help, but its a moving target.

I have no ad blockers installed, and I don't see any ads when browsing this site. So its likely going to be browser/OS/device specific for this one.


This post by xed_over was liked by: Bill Spight
Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #9 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:50 am 
Lives in gote

Posts: 694
Location: UK
Liked others: 61
Was liked: 351
Rank: 5 dan
KGS: macelee
xed_over wrote:
I have no ad blockers installed, and I don't see any ads when browsing this site. So its likely going to be browser/OS/device specific for this one.

If viewing the source code of this web page, at the very beginning we can see:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="./mobiquo/tapatalkdetect.js"></script>

That looks like the script responsible for / guilty of showing the ad on mobile devices.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #10 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:23 am 
Gosei
User avatar

Posts: 1898
Location: Groningen, NL
Liked others: 189
Was liked: 1015
Rank: Dutch 4D
GD Posts: 645
Universal go server handle: herminator
For explorer: http://www.ricksdailytips.com/disable-autocorrect/


As to tapatalk, every time tapatalk asks you to install, and you refuse, it sets a cookie to not bother you again for 90 days. So clearing your cookies, as per xed_over's suggestion, would actually be counterproductive. In fact, given that every time you're asked to install tapatalk, you're also asked to log in again (another thing using cookies), I suspect your cookies are getting cleared too often. Perhaps you have software installed which auto-clears cookies, such as anti-virus software or pc-cleaner software? Or perhaps a family member cleaning up or resetting the device now and then?

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #11 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:04 am 
Gosei

Posts: 1830
Liked others: 11
Was liked: 2724
Quote:
As to tapatalk, every time tapatalk asks you to install, and you refuse, it sets a cookie to not bother you again for 90 days. So clearing your cookies, as per xed_over's suggestion, would actually be counterproductive. In fact, given that every time you're asked to install tapatalk, you're also asked to log in again (another thing using cookies), I suspect your cookies are getting cleared too often. Perhaps you have software installed which auto-clears cookies, such as anti-virus software or pc-cleaner software? Or perhaps a family member cleaning up or resetting the device now and then?


I think this is the answer that fits me, though it's a bit worrying that 90 days seem to pass like 9 days! Perhaps that's because I use different i-devices but at very irregular intervals (and I assume cookies are stored on each device?).

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #12 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:16 am 
Lives in sente

Posts: 1311
Location: Finland
Liked others: 42
Was liked: 116
Rank: FGA 7k GoR 1297
John Fairbairn wrote:
I assume cookies are stored on each device?.

Cookies are stored on each browser on each device. If you use multiple browsers on one device, each will have their own set of cookies.

_________________
Signature space for rent

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #13 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:36 am 
Lives with ko

Posts: 127
Liked others: 11
Was liked: 27
Tapatalk gets on my nerves as well, using android. I'd had bet money that the rebothering delay is much shorter than 90 days.

Intuitive approach first (and because I might learn something on the way): Is there an (easy) way to edit cookies manually on android? 90'000 days seem so much more a better idea than 90. Google didn't help me. I also wasn't able to find the cookies on my device let alone editing them. I guess there is no easy way, but I'd rather ask here first before I despair. What would apply for i-things?

_________________
If something sank it might be a treasure. And 2kyu advice is not necessarily Dan repertoire..

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #14 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:48 am 
Lives in sente
User avatar

Posts: 790
Liked others: 259
Was liked: 322
Tapatalk hasn't bothered me since I installed 1Blocker on iOS 9 to block annoying scripts. I still allow ads, but most don't show, because they are driven by annoying scripts. I don't hate ads, just bandwidth wasting and sometimes malicious scripts.

The OS still corrects my spelling, for example changing "Tapatalk" to "Taps talk" in this very post. I'm okay with it though. It fixes at least 5x as many things as it messes up.

_________________
Want to see videos of low-dan mistakes and what to learn from them? Brady's Blunders

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #15 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:35 am 
Oza
User avatar

Posts: 2725
Location: Seattle, WA
Liked others: 248
Was liked: 540
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
I would also prefer the tapatalk ad get removed from the site if possible.

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #16 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:27 am 
Judan

Posts: 7468
Liked others: 1358
Was liked: 1149
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Tapatalk was added as a result of this thread:
http://www.lifein19x19.com/forum/viewto ... =14&t=5213

I can remove it, but I'd like to get a feel for how people think about the feature. Please vote on your preference here:
http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12339
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12340

_________________
Discipline is remembering what you want. -David Campbell

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #17 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:37 am 
Oza
User avatar

Posts: 2725
Location: Seattle, WA
Liked others: 248
Was liked: 540
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Kirby wrote:
I can remove it, but I'd like to get a feel for how people think about the feature. Please vote on your preference here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12339


Can you do tapatalk and not have it add the ad? Or change that 90 days to something huge?

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #18 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:39 am 
Lives in sente

Posts: 1311
Location: Finland
Liked others: 42
Was liked: 116
Rank: FGA 7k GoR 1297
oren wrote:
Kirby wrote:
I can remove it, but I'd like to get a feel for how people think about the feature. Please vote on your preference here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12339


Can you do tapatalk and not have it add the ad? Or change that 90 days to something huge?

The tapatalk javascript has this function:

Code:
function setTapatalkCookies() {
    var date = new Date();
    var days = 90;
    date.setTime(date.getTime()+(days*24*60*60*1000));
    var expires = "; expires="+ date.toGMTString();
    document.cookie = "tapatalk_redirect=false" + expires;
}


Changing days = 90 to something else should be trivial

_________________
Signature space for rent

Top
 Profile  
 
Offline
 Post subject: Re: Annoying features
Post #19 Posted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:46 am 
Judan

Posts: 7468
Liked others: 1358
Was liked: 1149
KGS: Kirby
Tygem: 커비라고해
Thanks for the feedback. I misunderstood.

Please vote here instead:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=12340

_________________
Discipline is remembering what you want. -David Campbell

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group