All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Scheduling online games
Post #1 Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:21 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
KGS seems to be the server of choice for most of us, but there are a few things that people complain about, such as escapers and sandbaggers. So I'm thinking that one of the functions of this board could be to help schedule KGS games among L19 members.

I'm not sure exactly how to do this. One try is this thread: http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4660

Another might be a registration thread - much like the malkovich registration threads: "I'm 7K and I'll be in the L19 room at KGS tonite at 7pm PDT"

Any thoughts/suggestions?

EDIT: I did it. The registration thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4806

EDIT: If this works, maybe we could start a parallel project for other servers.

Post subject: Re: Scheduling online games
Post #2 Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:38 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
While on the one hand, I appreciate the intent behind what you're trying to do, I'm not sure that this is ultimately good for the community as a whole. It can possibly create "closed" sub-groups where rating bubbles begin to form and drift away from the whole. We should continue to be willing to play other people outside our group too.

We already have a L19 room on KGS. I wouldn't think it would be difficult to get a game there with any fellow forum members.

Post #3 Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:53 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
I agree with Joaz and xed_over. Scheduling more KGS games among forum members would be fun, and very conveniently we have a room to do it in.

Post #4 Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:14 pm 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 183
Was liked: 100
Universal go server handle: hailthorn
jts wrote:
I agree with Joaz and xed_over. Scheduling more KGS games among forum members would be fun, and very conveniently we have a room to do it in.

I definitely agree there.

Post #5 Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:56 pm 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
KGS seems to be the server of choice for most of us, but there are a few things that people complain about, such as escapers and sandbaggers.

I think the solution to the problems that KGS suffers from is competition from other servers. IGS has got much better this year with its new client. I must say that sandbaggers don't really bother me - I just regard a loss against a sandbagger as a free training game - but I see escapers as the big weakness of KGS.

Of course IGS has its weaknesses too, but it's nice to see it getting better, and maybe it will become a real alternative.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:02 am 
Oza

Nostromo wrote:
I must say that sandbaggers don't really bother me - I just regard a loss against a sandbagger as a free training game - but I see escapers as the big weakness of KGS.

I don't understand why escapers should bother you -- just use the same attitude as you have with sandbaggers -- you have a free win.

Post #7 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:21 am 
Beginner

Liked others: 1
Was liked: 1
xed_over wrote:
Nostromo wrote:
I must say that sandbaggers don't really bother me - I just regard a loss against a sandbagger as a free training game - but I see escapers as the big weakness of KGS.

I don't understand why escapers should bother you -- just use the same attitude as you have with sandbaggers -- you have a free win.

Careful escapers avoid exceeding the limits set by KGS, and never forfeit the games.
You don't mind escapers? Fine; you're entitled to your opinion.
And those of us who object to escapers are equally entitled to ours. I don't understand why people who like escapers should want to persuade others to be like them.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:27 am 
Oza

Nostromo wrote:
I don't understand why people who like escapers should want to persuade others to be like them.

I never said that I, or anyone else, like escapers.
Just suggesting that a better attitude is to not allow them to bother you.

Post #9 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:29 am 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
Nostromo wrote:
I don't understand why people who like escapers should want to persuade others to be like them.

To reduce gross domestic whining.

This post by jts was liked by: Li Kao

Post #10 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:18 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
KGS has the useful feature of automatically converting the time of a scheduled event to the declared time zone of the user's client. This way, when a KGS plus event is announced for 9 o'clock Tuesday evening, that means 9 o'clock Tuesday evening, my time.

When I read your post saying when you would be on in Pacific time, I wished that we could employ a similar feature here. L19 does know each member's time zone, so perhaps it would be possible.

I realize that it's only a minor inconvenience for me to convert your schedule to my time, but removing such inconveniences might make it more likely that the games take place.

Post #11 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:01 pm 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
daal wrote:
KGS has the useful feature of automatically converting the time of a scheduled event to the declared time zone of the user's client. This way, when a KGS plus event is announced for 9 o'clock Tuesday evening, that means 9 o'clock Tuesday evening, my time.

When I read your post saying when you would be on in Pacific time, I wished that we could employ a similar feature here. L19 does know each member's time zone, so perhaps it would be possible.

I realize that it's only a minor inconvenience for me to convert your schedule to my time, but removing such inconveniences might make it more likely that the games take place.

You're right. I came to much the same conclusion a few minutes after I posted and then converted it to UTC.

Post #12 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:01 pm 
Oza

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
daal wrote:

You're right. I came to much the same conclusion a few minutes after I posted and then converted it to UTC.

I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to program for here:
<gmt>yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm</gmt>

Post #13 Posted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:30 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 124
Was liked: 46
I for one would like to see more games amongst us!