It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: View recent posts
Post #1 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:12 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 67
Was liked: 10
GD Posts: 138
A humble suggestion, which I'd much appreciate when you get around to it if it's simple to implement: :bow:

None of the "view" buttons are quite what I want. I just want "view recent posts," which is exactly what the view new posts button gets you if you aren't logged in (minus the "new to me" symbols which I get by being logged in).

In case you want to know why I like this sort of list: Mainly I like this because I want to see new posts, but I like static lists and sometimes go back to previous posts. I can already see which ones are unread by me by whether they have the "new" symbol next to them. I also sometimes switch devices and like the same list to show up on the next device as opposed to the list being cleared. The "view unread posts" button doesn't quite do it for me because sometimes I stop before the end of a thread and may go back to it, and seeing it in the same list helps me remember it and find it (some sort of visual memory seems to be relevant here, and in fact I think it's easier for me to find even unread posts that I noticed in a previous pass and wanted to look at later in a "view recent posts" list due to this).

If there's a way to do this already, I'd of course appreciate being told how. :)

This post by prokofiev was liked by: daal

Post subject: Re: View recent posts
Post #2 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:35 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
+1

Imo, this should replace "View active topics."

This post by daal was liked by: Bill Spight

Post #3 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:41 am 
Honinbo

Liked others: 3651
Was liked: 3374
Yes, I have tried "View active topics" as an alternative to "View new posts" to find recent topics that I have read, and I have not found it to be of much help.

Visualize whirled peas.

Everything with love. Stay safe.

Post #4 Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:16 pm 
Oza

On second thought, not "view recent posts," but rather "view recently updated (threads)" is what I would most like to have. This way, the list wouldn't get filled by all the posts from one hyperactive thread.

This post by daal was liked by 2 people: prokofiev, xed_over

Post #5 Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:46 pm 
Lives with ko

daal wrote:
On second thought, not "view recent posts," but rather "view recently updated (threads)" is what I would most like to have. This way, the list wouldn't get filled by all the posts from one hyperactive thread.

I agree. The slight error in terminology has already occurred with "view unread posts" etc.

Post #6 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:14 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
I want a list of every thread that has posts that I haven't read, ordered most recently updated first.

Each entry in the list should have 5 fields:
1) The name of the thread,
2) A number indicating how many unread posts are in that thread,
3) A clickable link to the first post.
4) A checkbox, such that if I check it, the unread posts in that thread are marked as read, and that thread does not appear on my list again unless more posts are added.
5) A second checkbox, such that if I check it, the thread never appears on my list again, regardless of additional posts.

Post #7 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:06 am 
Oza

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
I want a list of every thread that has posts that I haven't read, ordered most recently updated first.

Each entry in the list should have 5 fields:
1) The name of the thread,
2) A number indicating how many unread posts are in that thread,
3) A clickable link to the first post.
4) A checkbox, such that if I check it, the unread posts in that thread are marked as read, and that thread does not appear on my list again unless more posts are added.
5) A second checkbox, such that if I check it, the thread never appears on my list again, regardless of additional posts.

View new posts gives you a list of threads with posts you haven't read and it is ordered most recently updated first. This list also includes: 1) the name of the thread and 3) a clickable link to the first post (as well as one to the first updated post). Clicking on the link has basically the same function as 4).

Considering the fact that you are an admin and could presumably make such changes additions yourself if you were serious about it, I assume that your wishlist is to be taken as sarcasm. If not, my apologies, but if so, I would like to re-iterate that a "view recently updated" link would help users find a post that they had recently read and would like to read again, perhaps to comment on, whether or not they have been updated in the meantime, saving them the trouble of digging through the 36 forums to find it again.

Post #8 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:53 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
daal wrote:
Considering the fact that you are an admin and could presumably make such changes additions yourself ...

there are different level of admins

some are programming level admins, while others are only moderator level admins.

Post #9 Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:39 pm 
Lives with ko

daal wrote:
View new posts gives you a list of threads with posts you haven't read and it is ordered most recently updated first. This list also includes: 1) the name of the thread and 3) a clickable link to the first post (as well as one to the first updated post). Clicking on the link has basically the same function as 4).

You mean view unread posts. View new posts includes threads that have been updated since your last visit (or something like that), so it doesn't include older unread posts. (Also, it does include threads you've already read if you e.g. hit refresh.)

The functionality Joaz asks for isn't what I'm interested in, but it sounds like something some people might like and it sounds like the request was made in earnest. The key suggestion is 5, which I guess is akin to the "mark malkovich read" button but for individual threads ad infinitum. (You can do 4 yourself with two operations: middle click to open it in a background tab, then close that tab; or click the link then hit back.)

Post #10 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:57 am 
Oza

daal wrote:
I assume that your wishlist is to be taken as sarcasm.

Sorry about this. I was having a grumpy day. I wasn't meaning to insult your ability to write sarcastically. :)

Post #11 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:17 am 
Judan

xed_over wrote:
daal wrote:
Considering the fact that you are an admin and could presumably make such changes additions yourself ...

there are different level of admins

some are programming level admins, while others are only moderator level admins.

Thanks, but not quite true. TTBOMK, all admins except Arkhamking are the same level. We an informal allocation of responsibilities amongst equals based on inclination rather than level. I do have access to the code, but I have never written a line of PHP in my life. I could try to make these changes, but I choose not to do so because at least 3 other admins have experience with PHP. OTOH, several of them have no taste for the non-technical admin duties.

Someday, maybe Fwiffo will decide to do modding and I'll decide to update code. Then you are all doomed! :lol:

@Daal: No problem. It was a reasonable interpretation.

Post #12 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:30 am 
Judan

daal wrote:
View new posts gives you a list of threads with posts you haven't read...

No, it doesn't. I am not sure exactly what it does, but it is not that. ( I suspect that there is some age cut-off )

For example, I just clicked on 'View new posts'. I got a list of 11 posts. One of those was a Malkovich game. I then checked the 1-on-1 Malkovich forum. I started counting the ones that are marked unread, and quit after a dozen.

I think that 'view new posts' is actually 'view recent posts'. What I want is 'view all posts new to me'.

Post #13 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:46 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
I'm confused. It sure sounds like Joaz wants "view unread posts" with options for customization + number of new posts in a thread since he last viewed it.

As for "view new posts" it works in an extremely odd way. When you're logged in, it shows both unread and read posts, and it's sensitive to when you last logged in. So it's not like unread posts, but it also doesn't seem to just show posts that are after a certain time.

If you log in infrequently and immediately look at "view new posts", it approximates "view unread posts".

Post #14 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:08 am 
Lives with ko

Joaz Banbeck wrote:
I think that 'view new posts' is actually 'view recent posts'. What I want is 'view all posts new to me'.

Have you tried view unread posts? It's what you asked for minus the fancy features.

As for what I want: view new posts is frequently cleared. If you're not logged in (so there's no record of how recently you last were here or something), there are currently 40 pages of threads when you click on "view new posts"; namely all threads ordered by how recently they were updated. I want that, but when I'm logged in.

Post #15 Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Liked others: 18
Was liked: 121
Universal go server handle: Jordus
prokofiev wrote:
view new posts is frequently cleared. If you're not logged in (so there's no record of how recently you last were here or something), there are currently 40 pages of threads when you click on "view new posts"; namely all threads ordered by how recently they were updated. I want that, but when I'm logged in.

The way view new posts works is that it only shows the new posts since your last login. The 40 page thing actually was found by accident by using the user view new post but without a specific login id attached when querying the sql server. I'm not sure about how to do it when a user is logged in but I'll look into it when i can.

This post by Jordus was liked by: prokofiev

Post #16 Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:14 am 
Oza

I feel like re-dredging this thread. The problem I keep encountering, is that I look at a thread briefly, and later when I've thought about it and want to respond, I have to dig around in our meanwhile 38 sub-forums to find it again because it is no longer listed in new posts. It's also for some reason practically never in active topics. Which is why I'd prefer a "recently updated" to "active topics." Does anyone use the "active topics" list? Seems useless to me.

This post by daal was liked by 2 people: ez4u, jts

Post #17 Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:21 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
The way I do it is thus:

I always have “unread posts” open in a tab, then …

• reload once in a while (which is several times a day :lol:)
  • open topics interesting to me in the background, using the little orange icon to the left (first unread post)
  • mark forums read
  • click “unread posts”
  • go on reading the pre-loaded background tabs, close, return to unread posts
  • rinse, repeat

Only problem is that lifein19*19 sometimes seems to “forget” me even though I have it set to remember me …

Post #18 Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:15 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1180
Was liked: 552
daal wrote:
I feel like re-dredging this thread. The problem I keep encountering, is that I look at a thread briefly, and later when I've thought about it and want to respond, I have to dig around in our meanwhile 38 sub-forums to find it again because it is no longer listed in new posts. It's also for some reason practically never in active topics. Which is why I'd prefer a "recently updated" to "active topics." Does anyone use the "active topics" list? Seems useless to me.

I have the same problem... what I've started to do (now that I have a smart phone) is read posts while not logged in, on my phone. that gives me time to think about how I want to respond later when I'm in front of an actual keyboard and logged in as me and the posts are still marked new.

not very effective, but somewhat works.

what would be even better is the ability to mark a read thread as unread again.