Total votes : 64
 Post subject: Spending/investing the excess
Post #1 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:40 am 
Judan

Liked others: 1103
Was liked: 1456
GD Posts: 1512
Kaya handle: Test
In the request for donations thread ( viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2876&p=91412#p91412 ) we find ourselves with over 300 USD to meet expenses of just over 100 USD.

Any suggestions for what to do with the excess?

Post subject: Re: Spending/investing the excess
Post #2 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:57 am 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 4
Was liked: 23
KGS: DrBobC
Tygem: 35kyu
A prize for the best reviewer/teacher in the ASR.

Post #3 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:57 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
I think saving for 2013 (as I have voted) and well, why not also throw a pizza for the admins? Btw, can't you add a "donate" (or contribute, if Paypal gets picky) button beside the logo here in the forums (right side, top). Maybe you can keep getting small amounts of money to reinvest into broadband, pizza or pros afterwards.

Post #4 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:12 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
If you guys can actually get together some time, I'm all for pizza and beer; otherwise save it 'till it's needed.

Post #5 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:38 pm 
Judan

I think L19 needs to get professional help. We could use a pro, especially in the game analysis forum.

In threads like this ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5454 ) and this ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5277 ) players with ratings of 3D and higher are still disagreeing or uncertain.

One of the things that attracts players to L19 is the presence of stronger players who can offer advice. But we have topped out around 5D/6D. If you are 3D+, you have no certainty that anyone here can answer your questions.

I'd like to jump-start this process, and get a pro who shows up regularly. The 6Ds and 7Ds would have an incentive to hang around, which would increase the number of low dans, which would increase...etc...

There should be a former insei or washed-up pro in rural China or S Korea, who is just not quite good enough to make it in his home country, but who would be monstrously strong by L19 standards. His living expenses would seem paltry compared to ours, and a 50 USD monthly retainer would seem like a small windfall to him. If we can find such a person, everybody wins.

Post #6 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:50 pm 
Gosei

Liked others: 49
Was liked: 129
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
There should be a former insei or washed-up pro in rural China or S Korea, who is just not quite good enough to make it in his home country, but who would be monstrously strong by L19 standards. His living expenses would seem paltry compared to ours, and a 50 USD monthly retainer would seem like a small windfall to him. If we can find such a person, everybody wins.

While that may very well be true, and I don't mind having a (semi-)pro around for commenting the games etc, even at 50USD/month your extra money will only last for four months, if I understood correctly. What will happen after that?

Post #7 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 pm 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 333
Was liked: 102
Universal go server handle: p2501
tj86430 wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:

While that may very well be true, and I don't mind having a (semi-)pro around for commenting the games etc, even at 50USD/month your extra money will only last for four months, if I understood correctly. What will happen after that?

If its only 50$/month and that would get us plenty top quality reviews, there would probably be enough people willing to chip in to keep it going. I certainly would.

Post #8 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:04 pm 
Judan

So would I.

Post subject:
Post #9 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:23 pm 
Honinbo

Liked others: 349
Was liked: 2076
GD Posts: 312
Save it for the future. :)

Post #10 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:26 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 304
Was liked: 631
As far as I'm concerned, since the admins need to both legislate and execute any additional uses of the money, they should feel free to use it as they see fit. If they use it poorly, there won't be quite so much next year.

Post #11 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:26 pm 
Tengen

Liked others: 1589
Was liked: 656
GD Posts: 918
KGS: topazg
Joaz Banbeck wrote:
I think L19 needs to get professional help. We could use a pro, especially in the game analysis forum.

In threads like this ( http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5454 ) and this ( http://lifein19x19.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5277 ) players with ratings of 3D and higher are still disagreeing or uncertain.

One of the things that attracts players to L19 is the presence of stronger players who can offer advice. But we have topped out around 5D/6D. If you are 3D+, you have no certainty that anyone here can answer your questions.

I'd like to jump-start this process, and get a pro who shows up regularly. The 6Ds and 7Ds would have an incentive to hang around, which would increase the number of low dans, which would increase...etc...

Of course, there's no guarantee you wouldn't find two pros and an ex-insei, all of whom would _still_ disagree with each other on a number of points, and the level of disagreement would be that bit further over our heads :D

This post by topazg was liked by: xed_over

Post #12 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:47 pm 
Lives with ko

Liked others: 47
Was liked: 94
Universal go server handle: MSGreg
I'm all for rewarding the volunteers. So pizza and beer sounds great. For the remainder, I'd consider doing something that provides leverage for the entire community. Perhaps growing the number of players and/or members through advertising, re-gifting to national organizations (in proportion to L19 member countries?), or starting an otherwise difficult program (such as the paid high-dan-level reviewer) that has a plan/goal to be self-funded. Then any excess from that new program could be siphoned again for leverage.

Go Tin - very portable go

Post #13 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:14 pm 
Oza

Liked others: 251
Was liked: 549
KGS: oren
Tygem: oren740, orenl
IGS: oren
Wbaduk: oren
Save it for next year.

Post #14 Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:37 pm 
Judan

topazg wrote:
Joaz Banbeck wrote:

In threads like this ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5454 ) and this ( viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5277 ) players with ratings of 3D and higher are still disagreeing or uncertain.

Of course, there's no guarantee you wouldn't find two pros and an ex-insei, all of whom would _still_ disagree with each other on a number of points, and the level of disagreement would be that bit further over our heads :D

And this would be a problem? :scratch:

I'd pay to eavesdrop on pros quibbling over the fine points. So would a number of high-dan players. Maybe you and I wouldn't understand it, but it would be a gold mine for them.

Post #15 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:47 am 
Lives in sente

Liked others: 738
Was liked: 239
KGS: illluck
Tygem: Trickprey
OGS: illluck
One possible issue with the suggestion of finding pros and pro-aspirants is the language barrier - if they are fluent enough in English I doubt such retainers would be attractive (but I suspect that even if they aren't fluent the money would not be attractive - especially given the time that may be needed).

As a forum I think L19 is doing quite well, and I think saving the money/beer and pizza for the admins would be good :) Another possibility might be to use part of the money to buy, say, KGS plus subscriptions as prizes for some L19 tournaments.

Post #16 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:14 am 
Tengen

Liked others: 499
Was liked: 733
GD Posts: 65
OGS: Hyperpape 4k
Fwiw, whatever plan you adopt, count me in as someone who would contribute a bit, but missed the window.

Post #17 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:02 am 
Oza

Liked others: 1304
Was liked: 1128
hyperpape wrote:
Fwiw, whatever plan you adopt, count me in as someone who would contribute a bit, but missed the window.

Me too!

Post #18 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:57 am 
Oza

Liked others: 8262
Was liked: 924
OGS: trohde
Universal go server handle: trohde
daal wrote:
hyperpape wrote:

Me too!

Me 3

But also, sadly, I wouldn’t have been able to contribute, since I’m unemployed and currently have to live off dole (? unemployment benefit?) and my budget for February is already eaten up :shock:

And therefore I don’t know whether I have the right to utter what I think you should do with the money …

Nevertheless I have voted for »save for 2013« and »pizza & beer 4 admins« :D although sushi & sake might have been more appropriate ;)

Greetings, Tom in Germany

Post #19 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:36 am 
Gosei

Liked others: 577
Was liked: 298
KGS: RBerenguel
Tygem: rberenguel
Wbaduk: JohnKeats
Kaya handle: RBerenguel
Online playing schedule: KGS on Saturday I use to be online, but I can be if needed from 20-23 GMT+1
illluck wrote:
One possible issue with the suggestion of finding pros and pro-aspirants is the language barrier - if they are fluent enough in English I doubt such retainers would be attractive (but I suspect that even if they aren't fluent the money would not be attractive - especially given the time that may be needed).

As a forum I think L19 is doing quite well, and I think saving the money/beer and pizza for the admins would be good :) Another possibility might be to use part of the money to buy, say, KGS plus subscriptions as prizes for some L19 tournaments.

Maybe we don't need to go that far: wouldn't you hang out in a Go forum and answer interesting questions without problems for 50$ a month? It's like getting paid for reading forums and doing what you enjoy. I would, I enjoy Go and I assume ex-inseis do, too. If the point is getting him to answer everything and everywhere, yes, we need more dedication than someone in passing could give.

Post #20 Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:52 am 
Lives in gote

Liked others: 39
Was liked: 59
Universal go server handle: mw42
I'd say pay a pro to play a Malkovich. I think our most prolific Malkovich-er should play. I believe that would nominate Magicwand.

This post by mw42 was liked by 3 people: daal, Kirby, Redbeard